SERIOUS CORRECT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

Topic locked
SERIOUS CORRECT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE Jun 21, 2007
This may sound a stupid question, but does anyone know where i can find a site that gives the correct legal info on moving to Dubai.

I am a uk ex pat living in Spain for last 20 yrs and we fancy a move to Duaai, but cannot find anyting other than conflicting statements regarding how long you can stay in Dubai, and if as a UK passport holder we can legally live there.

What are the limits to staying regarding visas?
Is it easy to rent long term accomodation?
Are there many jobs in the property sector?

Also on a different matter, are internet poker and gambling sites restricted or can they be easily used?

Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHAWNW
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 21, 2007
1. 60 days for UK ppt holder. This can be renewed by driving 1 hour to oman border. Many people do this for years.

2. You will not be able to rent ófficially'without a residence visa (which generally means you need a job.

3. Lot's of jobs about.

Easiest is for you to come, sublet an apartment (adverts on here, expatriates.com, local supermarket boards etc) and then look for a job.

If you buy an apartment you would get residence visa.

I have no problem using Betfair poker at home (Marina) and at work (deira).
john smith
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2007
Buying a freehold property entitles you to a residence visa, renewable every 3 years for the next 99 years. However, the property has to be complete and not under construction to receive the visa. On top of all this, you cannot work on that visa. Once you get work, you have to transfer to the company visa.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 21, 2007
john smith wrote:1. 60 days for UK ppt holder. This can be renewed by driving 1 hour to oman border. Many people do this for years. - Pls check on this as there is a new rule being passed that says that after 1 renewal you have to stay out of the country for a minimum of 1 month...

2. You will not be able to rent ófficially'without a residence visa (which generally means you need a job.

3. Lot's of jobs about.

Easiest is for you to come, sublet an apartment (adverts on here, expatriates.com, local supermarket boardstc) and then look for a job. - Easiest but also very risky as the person does not have any protection.

If you buy an apartment you would get residence visa.

I have no problem using Betfair poker at home (Marina) and at work (deira).- Gambling is illegal in this part of the world and if you are caught there is a jail term and deportation
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 21, 2007
devilsdiciple wrote:
john smith wrote:I have no problem using Betfair poker at home (Marina) and at work (deira).-
Gambling is illegal in this part of the world and if you are caught there is a jail term and deportation

Thanks Sage.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 21, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
devilsdiciple wrote:
john smith wrote:I have no problem using Betfair poker at home (Marina) and at work (deira).-
Gambling is illegal in this part of the world and if you are caught there is a jail term and deportation

Thanks Sage.

Pleasure
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: SERIOUS CORRECT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE Jun 21, 2007
SHAWNW wrote:What are the limits to staying regarding visas?
Is it easy to rent long term accomodation?
Are there many jobs in the property sector?

Also on a different matter, are internet poker and gambling sites restricted or can they be easily used?

1. Try visas for Dubai - not authoritative but has links to relevant DNRD pages (which is the correct authority for visa information).
2. Not a legal question? Not so easy unless you're ready to pay a lot.
3. Yes. Not a legal question either?
4. I think some are blocked. Not familiar with them.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 21, 2007
devilsdiciple wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
devilsdiciple wrote:

Thanks Sage.

Pleasure

Excuse me???????????????????????????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 22, 2007
john smith wrote:--- snip ---

I have no problem using Betfair poker at home (Marina) and at work (deira).

Now that you mention the site location ... eti***** may start blocking more sites in Deira ...
dubaiforumuser
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 25, 2007
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum