Schools Questions

Topic locked
Schools questions Oct 20, 2008
Can anyone help?
I think I am still a long way down the line yet but I need to consider what to do about schooling. I have heard there are long waiting lists for the schools. But also that it can take forever just to get your kids there and back! Some schools seem to start really early in the morning - 7.30am - would this mean less traffic or is it still as bad at that time of day? Also, the schools seem to finish at lunchtime or early in the afternoon. If both parents work, does anyone know whether any schools offer after school activities or care?

Or are employers flexible with their working hours to fit around this?

Thank you !! :D

Paradox
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Schools questions Oct 28, 2008
Paradox wrote:Can anyone help?
I think I am still a long way down the line yet but I need to consider what to do about schooling. I have heard there are long waiting lists for the schools. But also that it can take forever just to get your kids there and back! Some schools seem to start really early in the morning - 7.30am - would this mean less traffic or is it still as bad at that time of day? Also, the schools seem to finish at lunchtime or early in the afternoon. If both parents work, does anyone know whether any schools offer after school activities or care?

Or are employers flexible with their working hours to fit around this?

Thank you !! :D

Some Dubai schools have long waiting lists, but there are some that don't (including the good ones - DESC has places as far as I know).
Traffic is bad all the time. Look for a school with a bus service that's airconditioned.
After school activities are limited. Employer flexibility as always depends on employer but in general I wouldn't be too hopeful.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 28, 2008
Just as an update, we were really worried about this earlier in the year whilst trying to book our son a place in Reception.

All schools were full and had long waiting lists. This (we were told) is because people over-subscribe and pay deposits to many schools. then when they are ready they simply choose the one they want, freeing up spaces.

This has been proven by the fact that we move out this weekend and we have been contacted by many schools as they now have space. I guess by October it all settles down.

We have secured a space at Star International and are also lookig at Raffles as they too have space.

Good luck
seardarren
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 28, 2008
Thanks both for the replies. I don't really like the idea of dumping my little kids on buses that could be stuck in traffic for hours to and from school. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what is available when (if) the time comes.
Paradox
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum