Schools In Dubai

Topic locked
Schools in Dubai Feb 18, 2009
Can anybody help?

I have 2 children & have been offered places at The Wellington International School & The Winchester International School.

I have visited both schools. The facilities are similar, school transport, same cirriculum etc but the fees per yr at Wellington are 54,000 AED more than Winchester.

I do not understand why?

Has anybody any idea or can anybody give me advice as to which school to enlist my children into.

Many Thanks

Simon B
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 19, 2009
Winchester School is primary? In Jebel Ali - handy if you live there. Is it mostly Indian expats?

Wellington School was supposed to be the best of the GEMS schools collection, with expensive fees, buildings, teachers. I think mostly British expats go there.

You sort of get what you pay for but increase in fees is more than increase in benefit. Go and look at a class being taught (and assume you're being shown the best teacher and best class in the school).
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 19, 2009
bonk wrote:Winchester School is primary? In Jebel Ali - handy if you live there. Is it mostly Indian expats?

Wellington School was supposed to be the best of the GEMS schools collection, with expensive fees, buildings, teachers. I think mostly British expats go there.

You sort of get what you pay for but increase in fees is more than increase in benefit. Go and look at a class being taught (and assume you're being shown the best teacher and best class in the school).

Thank you for that
Simon B
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 21, 2009
Winchester School no idea. Wellington School is a GEMS school yes, but a new one with a 'new' slant on teaching methods from their prospectus. Dubai College I thought was still their jewel in the crown, with a very 'snotty' approach to prospective pupils. Jumeirah College also good although their teaching roster seems to be getting less impressive by the term. Also check out The English College, maybe third in the league but I think quite a good pastoral approach to their pupils and happy to accept the slightly less able.

These ae the best (most expensive) GCSE/A level syllabus schools in Dubai.

Get on the lists early as they claim full waiting lists despite the number of expats leaving Dubai.....
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 24, 2009
Dubai College isn't a GEMS school, they're independent. Not sure if you were saying it was? Jumeirah College is, The English College isn't (I think). Agree with your comments about them. There's also Dubai English Speaking College starting A-level classes this year. Good place.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 25, 2009
hi bonk, yes of course you're right, thanks for that!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum