Is It Really Worth It?

Topic locked
Is it really worth it? Oct 19, 2005
Is there a large gap between compenation levels in Dubai and the West (I know "the west" is not a homogeneous entity).
I can understand why people from the Indian subcontinent and other developing countries would seek opportunities in Dubai - higher pay levels. But I wonder why people from the west flock to Dubai. From what I read on the forum, one has to put up with a lot of stuff one would not in London or SF (the social constraints, and the power the government has over one's life in Dubai and the Gulf). It certainly can not be as much fun as some of the other places - NY, SF, London, Paris, Barcelona, even Tokyo.

Why are so many westerners in Dubai? Is it just to fulfill a desire for adventure?

life's2short
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 20, 2005
What's not to like? It's tax free, which I think is the biggest puller for people, so those in the West earn more. There's bars, nightclubs, lots to do, just like any other cosmopolitan city.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 20, 2005
I spoke with some one who spent 27 years in Dubai. She works at my company in SF now. She told me about the tax free benefits etc. She was a senior person in her company in Dubai. The company provided her accommodation, a car, yearly air fare, and some other benefits. She speaks very highly of the place. However, she told me that her take home was less than what she makes here after taxes. Of course, she has to pay for housing and car here. So, yes, she probably came out ahead in Dubai, but I am not sure by a large enough sum to justify uprooting yourself and moving there for 27 years.

I am just tryinig to get some perspective.
life's2short
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 21, 2005
For many people money is the main objective, but, you also have to take into consideration the lifestyle. We are very spoilt in Dubai, crime is low, apart from the obvious high expenses like housing, it's heap to eat out, everyday living is pretty low expense, apart from rents. Plus weather, sunshine virtually 365 days a year.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum