Job - Girlfriend

Topic locked
Job - Girlfriend Nov 14, 2007
Hi

First of many posts hopefully.

I am applying for a job in Dubai. Not got it yet so no mad panic.

Anyway, I asked about my girlfriend, and they say that they can only sponsor a spouse not a girlfriend.

My question, if we were to get married between me applying, and me moving, would that be ok for the job to sponsor her? Or do you need to be married at the time of application?

Also, as a girl with a degree but no trade as such, what kind of work would she be able to get.

Much appreciate any help

jetsetwilly
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 14, 2007
No time limit, just so long as you're married, she can be sponsored.

With no quals, don't expect her to get a great job.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 14, 2007
Hey that was a fast reply. Many Thanks.

We have discussed it, and she is happy to work in a shop etc. She thinks that it will be worth putting her career on hold for now to experience Dubai.

My job should pay well enough, accom is included etc, so we should be fine for money.

Thanks
jetsetwilly
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 14, 2007
jetsetwilly wrote:Hey that was a fast reply. Many Thanks.

We have discussed it, and she is happy to work in a shop etc. She thinks that it will be worth putting her career on hold for now to experience Dubai.

My job should pay well enough, accom is included etc, so we should be fine for money.

Thanks

OK, perhaps you should do some searches and read around the topics though so you know just what you're in for.

Dubai can also be testing for relationships.
^ian^

Nov 14, 2007
yes, it isn't always a easy place to live in. even if one thinks it is...
tcjames
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 14, 2007
Er Ian I think he said his girlfriend has a degree. What does she have a degree in?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 14, 2007
No need for her to work in a shop. She could easily get an admin position in an office or something better. The fact that she has a degree will help.

They would also offer a work visa too.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 14, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Er Ian I think he said his girlfriend has a degree. What does she have a degree in?

Ah for some reason on first glance I thought he said 'no degree'.

My bad.
^ian^

Nov 14, 2007
Get her into marketing and PR. Fair looks and speaking skills are in demand in that field.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 14, 2007
gtmash wrote:Get her into marketing and PR. Fair looks and speaking skills are in demand in that field.

Hahah. Skills are in demand too!!!! Massive shortage of skilled marketers in this place.
^ian^

Nov 14, 2007
Thanks for all the replies.

I have not even been offered the job yet so no need to panic.

She has a degree in Biology, but has worked in both Mental health establishments and PR work.
jetsetwilly
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 14, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
gtmash wrote:Get her into marketing and PR. Fair looks and speaking skills are in demand in that field.

Hahah. Skills are in demand too!!!! Massive shortage of skilled marketers in this place.

Could have fooled me - I'm an experienced Sales & Marketing Director and haven't had any interest from the jobs to which I've applied. I am being a bit specific in wanting something in the publishing field. Maybe too old - mid 40s?
bartonbank
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 15, 2007
bartonbank, to be quiet honest my take on the local publishing industry is it is very small - I think gt agreed with me on this point in a resent thread (possibly a two weeks back) and while you may have a huge amount of experience you may find the sector of the industry into which you would fit it extremely small!

Hence the people that currently occupy those positions are not simply going to leave, and in real-terms there are probably no more than a handful of them (with similar experience as yours).

A suggestion would be to widen your sights slightly, and look for similar vacancies in allied industries rather than focusing purely on publishing.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 15, 2007
Publishing is a small industry here... most industries outside property are small.
^ian^

Nov 15, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Publishing is a small industry here... most industries outside property are small.

In my opinion (as I'm in this field), apart from property, retail & logistics are also two big businesses in Dubai. Look on how many malls & shops in town which relates directly to warehouse & logistics (export, import, re-export, trading).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
I appreciate the feedback - I have been attempting to target marketing vacancies in other fields but to no avail. I'm not giving up!
bartonbank
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum