HSBC Checks

Topic locked
HSBC Checks Jul 03, 2007
That's maybe a daft question, but just to double check.

I've got an account running at HSBC in Dubai. I can just bring a check I got from 3rd Party in the UK and get it processed in Dubai ?

Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 03, 2007
Yes
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 03, 2007
Yes. With fees.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 16, 2007
gtmash wrote:Yes. With fees.

Thanks gtmash,

just for the info of others...I cashed in the check at HSBC at Jebel Ali branch and they told me it would take 4-6 weeks to process it. At the moment I don't care too much.

okay for me now, but I can imagine it could be something to consider for others if you need the money straight away.

4-6 weeks, what a joke.

Many thanks for your reply !
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 16, 2007
Habibi wrote:

Thanks gtmash,

just for the info of others...I cashed in the check at HSBC at Jebel Ali branch and they told me it would take 4-6 weeks to process it. At the moment I don't care too much.

okay for me now, but I can imagine it could be something to consider for others if you need the money straight away.

4-6 weeks, what a joke.

I cash American-sourced dollar cheques regularly at MeBank. Almost always they get it done in a month. Never less. Sometimes a bit more.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 20, 2007
gtmash wrote:I cash American-sourced dollar cheques regularly at MeBank. Almost always they get it done in a month. Never less. Sometimes a bit more.

What does it cost you?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 20, 2007
bonk wrote:
gtmash wrote:I cash American-sourced dollar cheques regularly at MeBank. Almost always they get it done in a month. Never less. Sometimes a bit more.

What does it cost you?

At MEBank, used to be Dhs 25 per cheque. Suddenly went up to Dhs 65 per cheque last year. Plus they use that exchange rate trick where they give you less dirham for your dollar. So it's win-win for the bank all the way.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 20, 2007
Habibi wrote:

Thanks gtmash,

4-6 weeks, what a joke.

Lloyds TSB on Al Wasl Rd said the same to me, but they take the exchange rate at the day of deposit, and for us Brits thats good good good at the moment
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 20, 2007
gtmash wrote:
bonk wrote:

What does it cost you?

At MEBank, used to be Dhs 25 per cheque. Suddenly went up to Dhs 65 per cheque last year. Plus they use that exchange rate trick where they give you less dirham for your dollar. So it's win-win for the bank all the way.

This does not make sense as the UAE Diram is FIXED against the US dollar
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 20, 2007
arniegang wrote:
gtmash wrote:
bonk wrote:

What does it cost you?

This does not make sense as the UAE Diram is FIXED against the US dollar

Yes it is fixed. I mean instead of 3.6780, they take it as 3.65... or 3.66... or something, on top of the Dhs 65 charge per cheque.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 22, 2007
gtmash wrote:At MEBank, used to be Dhs 25 per cheque. Suddenly went up to Dhs 65 per cheque last year. Plus they use that exchange rate trick where they give you less dirham for your dollar. So it's win-win for the bank all the way.

bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum