How Safe Is It To Use Motorscooters For Work Commute?

Topic locked
How safe is it to use motorscooters for work commute? Mar 05, 2007
By motorscooters I mean something like this

i'm quite a good driver when it comes to cars. this can give me an edge with scooters as well, i believe. i've also ridden one like this for a brief period in the U.S., then it got stolen. but where I lived in the U.S. it was very safe to ride.

This scooter can go as fast as 80kmph. It has enough lights to be seen at night and it should be easily visible in the morning as well.

Is there a website that shows statistics for accidents involving motorcycles?

i'm new to the Sharjah/Dubai, so I don't really know much. What do you experienced fellas think?

msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 05, 2007
Not being funny, you'd have to have a death wish to ride one of those here. Most of the drivers can't even see big 2 ton 4x4s in their mirrors and cut them up without indicating. Add to that, people often ignore road markings, use hard shoulder and just generally do anything they can to get one car ahead in traffic and you really will be in trouble.

Finally, doubt legally you're allowed to take them on the motorway anyway.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 05, 2007
That's really disppointing to hear.

However, I've been driving around Sharjah/Dubai for the past few days, and to be honest, I haven't really noticed any terribly bad driving. Overall, the driving here is ten times better than that of Saudi Arabia.

I've heard people before say that it would be very dangerous to ride motorcycles in Dubai, but I really can't see it.
msafi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2007
I have a Honda Pal 2 days ago and I'm using it go to work. My residence is somewhere in Fish R/A and I'm working along Maktoum Road.

I was told to, and it is common sense, not to drive scooters in major roads. We can use the pedestrian lanes, foot paths, and secondary roads.

I wish to invite you to visit http://www.freewebs.com/dubaiscooterclub .

Happy safe driving.
silvercord
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 18, 2007
silvercord wrote:I have a Honda Pal 2 days ago and I'm using it go to work. My residence is somewhere in Fish R/A and I'm working along Maktoum Road.

I was told to, and it is common sense, not to drive scooters in major roads. We can use the pedestrian lanes, foot paths, and secondary roads.

I wish to invite you to visit http://www.freewebs.com/dubaiscooterclub.

Happy safe driving.

I am 100% sure the cops will drag your behind to jail if they catch you with a road-legal scooter on pedestrian lanes if they see you.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 18, 2007
gtmash wrote:
silvercord wrote:I have a Honda Pal 2 days ago and I'm using it go to work. My residence is somewhere in Fish R/A and I'm working along Maktoum Road.

I wish to invite you to visit http://www.freewebs.com/dubaiscooterclub.

Happy safe driving.

I am 100% sure the cops will drag your behind to jail if they catch you with a road-legal scooter on pedestrian lanes if they see you.

Not only will they, they should, you are endangering the lives of innocent pedestrians
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 18, 2007
Hmm...you scare me. Thanks for the tip. I will clear this out with Dubai Police and RTA.

Regards.
silvercord
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum