How Much Rent Is Too Much Rent??

Topic locked
How much rent is too much rent?? Jun 25, 2007
Hi,
I am living in Jumeirah 1, behind the Spinney's on Beach Road and was just wondering if AED7000 per month (excluding utilities) for one bedroom in a two bedroom is a reasonable rental rate for this area.

The building is completely new and the apartment is spacious, but there is no gym, no pool, no security, basically no amenities, but my bedroom has an attached bathroom and I have a view of Sheikh Zayed Road.

Is this a reasonable rate for sharing? Or do you think I'm paying more than half of the rent (my flatmate rented the 2 bed apartment on his own and is now letting one of the bedrooms to me)?

Another question: How do people typically pay their rent upfront in Dubai? I can afford to pay monthly, but where am I supposed to get AED84,000 just like that? Just curious...

As always, thanks in advance.

jenji
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 25, 2007
Dhs 7k for just a room seems excessive for a building with no amenities. All you're paying for is the location, it seems. Complete 1-bed flats in all-new International City are going for 50k a year.

What people do is give post-dated cheques, split into two or more cheques.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: How much rent is too much rent?? Jun 25, 2007
jenji wrote:Hi,
I am living in Jumeirah 1, behind the Spinney's on Beach Road and was just wondering if AED7000 per month (excluding utilities) for one bedroom in a two bedroom is a reasonable rental rate for this area.

The building is completely new and the apartment is spacious, but there is no gym, no pool, no security, basically no amenities, but my bedroom has an attached bathroom and I have a view of Sheikh Zayed Road.

Is this a reasonable rate for sharing? Or do you think I'm paying more than half of the rent (my flatmate rented the 2 bed apartment on his own and is now letting one of the bedrooms to me)?

Another question: How do people typically pay their rent upfront in Dubai? I can afford to pay monthly, but where am I supposed to get AED84,000 just like that? Just curious...

As always, thanks in advance.

168K for a 2 bedroom seems high but...

For 84K you should be able to get a studio for sure and even a 1 bedroom somewhere (maybe not Jumeriah 1 on the apartment). I used to live in the Marina, good size 2 bedroom apartment, indoor parking (one car), pool (used 3 times), gym (never used), squash courts (never saw), 15th floor, marina view & partial sea view (the sea view now gone probably thanks to JBR) for 92K which is only 7,667 per month. Even with an increase of 7% it would be only 8,203.3.

Now the problem is the 84K up front! Many people get an advance from their Employer (all depends on your job salary, and what you negotiated).

Anything under 100K they would most likely want either 1 or, at most, 2 payments. Hard to say.

Now if you are paying month-to-month then look around and you should be able to find a bedroom and bathroom for less than 7,000/month (or even your own place). Take a look at the threads in this forum you may find something.

p.s. now I live under a bridge - all my money went to rent.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 25, 2007
post dated cheques is the name of the game
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 26, 2007
Sounds expensive to me. Villa shares in Jumeirah are closer to 4k-6k for ensuite room, maybe pool included. Check Spinneys noticeboard for comparison.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 14, 2007
dunno bout jumeriah, but on rigga bang on the main road, i pay 2800 for a really big bedroom with a balcony with all utilities(including gas and drinking water) and wireless internet connection as well.

Cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 15, 2007
Jeevan wrote:dunno bout jumeriah, but on rigga bang on the main road, i pay 2800 for a really big bedroom with a balcony with all utilities(including gas and drinking water) and wireless internet connection as well.

Cheers,

J

Gas???, I thought central gas was only Abu Dhabi & Sharjah :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum