How Does This Package Sound?

Topic locked
How does this package sound? Feb 15, 2006
Hi All

I have been offered a UAE relocation package with my current employer. I would like to get some opinion as to what you guys and girls think.

To put it into csome ontext I will be moving over with my wife (no kids…yet!). We are not party animals and not too bothered with the latest fashions etc But I imagine we would go out on the town a maximum of two nights a week.

The misses is going to look for work also although we are in no particular rush for that and so we will be living off just me salary to begin with.

Accommodation wise I’m not too bothered to be in the “happening area”. A 2/3 bedroom apartment or preferably a villa with close access to amenities with shard pool and gym if possible.

So the actually finances are (approx)

Salary - 12,000 DHS a month
Accommodation - 6,300 DHS a month + 920 DHS a month for utilities + 44,000 DHS for furniture (one off lump sum)
Transport - 55,000 DHS (Lump Sum)
1 flight return to the UK a year for myself and the wife
Full Medical Insurance.

What do you think considering our position?

Cheers

Fuzzy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

fuzzy logic Feb 15, 2006
not a bad offer at all. you will probably have to get some transport for your wife, getting around is a little difficult without it. budget for about 1,500 per month over 3 years, pluse registration and insurance of about 2,500 per annum.

only word of caution is that some companies will "front" you the money such as relocation expenses which you would have to repay should you deceide to leave the company prior to the completion of the contract period.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Feb 15, 2006
Good point DBXsoul. I will check that out. BTW the company has stated they will also cover insurance, maintenance and petrol on top of the car allowance. Is this usual?

My only concern is the accomodation part to be honest as the rental prices seem fairly high. I'm going to Dubai next week to meet up with "In Touch" relocations. Has anyone else used these guys and how did you find them?
Fuzzy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 15, 2006
Fuzzy wrote:Good point DBXsoul. I will check that out. BTW the company has stated they will also cover insurance, maintenance and petrol on top of the car allowance. Is this usual?

I've never heard of that but maybe I don't get out much, people I know either get an amount per month or a lump sum like you were offered but that is it. Will the car be required for work?, i.e. will you be driving alot as part of your job? maybe this is the reason for ins, gas and maint. coverage. Enjoy it.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 15, 2006
In UK Fayz, it is quite common in many jobs to receive a "mileage allowance" that pays for petrol, maintenance etc.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 16, 2006
Fuzzy wrote:Good point DBXsoul. I will check that out. BTW the company has stated they will also cover insurance, maintenance and petrol on top of the car allowance. Is this usual?

My only concern is the accomodation part to be honest as the rental prices seem fairly high. I'm going to Dubai next week to meet up with "In Touch" relocations. Has anyone else used these guys and how did you find them?

Not sure whether it's usual but my car allowance was also exclusive of petrol, car wash etc but I was allowed to put it through on my expense claims so I was not out of pocket for it at the end of the day.

I'd also be concerned with the accomodation allowance if you're looking for a 2/3 bedroom apartment, let alone a villa. Unless you end up sharing a villa with other people you wouldn't get into one. Where abouts is the company located? That will play a part in where you decide to stay, ergo price you pay.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 16, 2006
The company is in Sharjah but I would like to live in Dubai. However I would like to stay within a reasonable commuting distance so was thinking Mirdiff or Bur Dubai etc. Any suggestions?
Fuzzy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 16, 2006
Choco lives in Mirdiff, im sure she can offer you advice.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 16, 2006
Fuzzy, although it may be geographically reasonable to live in Dubai and commute to and from Sharjah you will find it an utter PITA after awhile, if not immediately. Sharjah Dubai road is just crap every day of the week to be on.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 16, 2006
I think Mirdiff might be reasonable area for you to live, I agree in that inter-emirate commuting is a pain in the A$$ but you will be living on the right side of the creek (crossing the creek is the biggest pain) and you are going against the bulk of traffic (most people head from Sharjah to Dubai in the mornings and reverse in the evening unlike you)

Also depending on your extracurricular activities, that may be the main reason you don’t want to live there, i.e. no booze, no shisha, both illegal in Sharjah.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 16, 2006
What is it like to live in Sharjah? I have heard it is not as well devloped as Dubai but I also heard that up by the Coral Beach Resort (can remember exctly where) it was not too bad.

My only sin is the alcohol although I'm not too bothered that much. Is this very strictly enforced i.e can you drink in your own apartment or not?
Fuzzy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 16, 2006
My understanding is that the transportation of alcohol through the Emirate of Sharjah is a very big no no. I doubt anyone is going to go to your house and do random checks but lets say on your way back from the store you have an accident and booze is found well....
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 16, 2006
Mmmmm Sharjah don't sound that attractive at the moment I must say but I suppose I will wait until I am out there next week to have a look around. I suppose the rent costs are going to be the crunch factor as I would rather have a bigger apart/villa and no alcohol than a tiny apart with booze.
.......madness, I know!
Fuzzy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 16, 2006
fayz wrote:no booze, no shisha, both illegal in Sharjah.

Shisha is illegal in Sharjah??????? Why on earth? Is this actually enforced??
sleepless.in.dubai
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2006
Just managed to get a 3 bed villa in Mirdiff. Whoohoo :D
Only a little bit over my budget but still its worth it. Damn those planes though!
Fuzzy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 27, 2006
Double glaze your windows. :)
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

To give you an idea of what others are on Mar 01, 2006
Sounds like a good deal Fuzzy --- I haven't been here that long either, I think your deal gives a much nicer 'furnishing' allowance. I don't get a one-off car allowance either but rather a monthly one.

My monthly figures for comparison:

Salary 17,000 dhs
accom 7,500
Utilities 310
Transport 2,500
One-off furnishing allowance 15,000
2 flts back home per year
Full medical insurance

Cheers

EK
EK_boy
Dubai Expat Wannabe