Help ~ Salary Health Check...

Topic locked
Help ~ Salary Health Check... Jul 10, 2009
Hi, I am an Australian national currently considering a move to Dubai along with my wife and 2 kids (4 & 1 yo). I've been offered a mid-managment job at the new aluminium smelter in taweelah. I am an engineer and MBA qualified with more than 13yrs of experience. The package is as this:

Basic AED$38K per month
Accommodation allowance: AED$180k per year
School allowance: AED$30k per year per kid.

Is this a reasonable package?

Currently in Australia my living expenses are around AED$10k per month plus accommodation. Would this be something comparable to what the cost of living is in Dubai? I know this is hard question and depends on life style and so on. But if anyone can provide any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Will

Will1
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 10, 2009
Well your biggest outlay would be for accomodation, and the company is giving you a pretty generous allowance, you can get a decent villa for that.

School fees I can't really comment on.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 13, 2009
Thanks "Chocoholic" for your prompt reply; your feedback is really helpfull.

Regards

Will
Will1
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 13, 2009
Sounds like a very good package to me.

With the rental market at the moment you should be able to get a three bedroom apartment or villa for 180 easy. So your biggest expense is taken care of.

So then you have...

Power/Water etc - Cheap
Phone - Cheap
Food - If you cook at home Cheap
Petrol - Cheap
School Fees - Paid for

If you lease a car it'll be like 2-3K a month. So that's not going to eat into your savings.

Should be able to put away 10-15-20K AED a month depending on how much you eat out - drink out etc, which is bloody good compared to Oz.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jul 13, 2009
Keep in mind that there may be a need for a second car at some point. She will be in need of getting around as well. School run, shopping, etc. Her taking you to work and picking you up with 2 kiddies in tow would be a struggle. Also, you may at some point take on a housemaid.

You may have to rent a car for the first month of two as you cannot buy one until all your paperwork is done.

Tell wifey to take a look at expatwoman.com. This is a forum where there are women who are very very helpful to newcomers based on their experience and knowledge. They also have a classified section for items being sold, including cars. Also look at dubizzle.com.

Please familiarize yourself with the culture and laws. The laws here are different and what is the norm back home may be against the law here.

Good luck with the move and hope you enjoy Dubai.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum