Help - So Many Questions, So Little Time!

Topic locked
Help - So many questions, so little time! Sep 19, 2007
Hi All

I have just signed up to this very informative forum and found out answers to a number of my queries, but one thing I haven't found is an up to date and definative list of living expenses. I would love answers/confirmation on a postcard to the following!

Rent - 9-10k? Do apartments exist whereby you can pay monthly? Also a heads up on nice areas to live...

What should I budget for other bills such as water, elec, apartment tax, air con, telephone/internet and tv?

I am assuming that all healthcare is private and something I will be negotiating for both me and my girlfriend, but what are the costs worse case?

Food bills - I'm going for 1500 here?

Car rental for something half decent - 2k?

Also visa query - I will be getting a work visa through my employer but what about my other half as we are not yet married?

Another concern is shipping our little cat out and if anyone has done similar...

If the offer is all good we should be coming over in a month or 2 and I think I will earning 23-24k with my girlfriend finding work once we have relocated - Is this enough to live on. Oh and how much to ship out from UK to Dubai from a smallish 2 bed apartment?
Any help is much appreciated!

Veedub
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Help - So many questions, so little time! Sep 19, 2007
Veedub wrote:Hi All

I have just signed up to this very informative forum and found out answers to a number of my queries, but one thing I haven't found is an up to date and definative list of living expenses. I would love answers/confirmation on a postcard to the following!

Rent - 9-10k? Do apartments exist whereby you can pay monthly? Also a heads up on nice areas to live... yes but it will cost you 15,000

What should I budget for other bills such as water, elec, apartment tax, air con, telephone/internet and tv? at least 1000 per month

I am assuming that all healthcare is private and something I will be negotiating for both me and my girlfriend, but what are the costs worse case? healthcare should be provided by your company and you can't get it for your girlfriend cos she is not your wife

Food bills - I'm going for 1500 here? won't need that much in groceries. but if eating out is include add more

Car rental for something half decent - 2k? that's the minimum for a bottom end car

Also visa query - I will be getting a work visa through my employer but what about my other half as we are not yet married? she can't come on your visa. Don't even mention her to your employer

Another concern is shipping our little cat out and if anyone has done similar... give your cat to a good home where you are from. Then when you come here help out a local cat and adopt one through feline friends

If the offer is all good we should be coming over in a month or 2 and I think I will earning 23-24k with my girlfriend finding work once we have relocated - Is this enough to live on. Oh and how much to ship out from UK to Dubai from a smallish 2 bed apartment? it is enough to have a good lifestyle. Don't bother shipping stuff - buy it here. it's cheap and hassle free
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 20, 2007
Many thanks Scarlett, these answers are very helpful!

So what is the score with co-habitation then, we're not married at the moment? Would it be better if we were engaged!?
Veedub
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 20, 2007
Veedub wrote:So what is the score with co-habitation then, we're not married at the moment? Would it be better if we were engaged!?

Scarlet is spot on with her comments there. I live in a nice spacious one bed and pay 9k per month but I had to pay the full years rent in advance. Renting on a per month basis is a lot more expensive.

Loads of expats I know at work live with their partners and are un-married. Being engaged makes no difference what so ever. If you ran into trouble with the law you and your girlfriend would probably be deported at the least if you're lucky. Loads of people just take the risk though as it doesnt really happen. They tend to turn a blind eye to it because they know you're not Muslim. I even know people who live in Muslim communities and easily get away with it! You just have to be careful. One tip is to buy her a ring to wear on her wedding finger, that way if someone asks you just say she is your wife.
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2007
Thanks for clearing that up - 1 ring it is then!

Which area do you live in - Any ideas on good areas? I will be working near the Crown Plaza Hotel on Sheik Zarad Road (sorry about the spelling!)
Veedub
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Help - So many questions, so little time! Sep 22, 2007
scarlet wrote:
Veedub wrote:Hi All

Rent - 9-10k? Do apartments exist whereby you can pay monthly? Also a heads up on nice areas to live... yes but it will cost you 15,000

What should I budget for other bills such as water, elec, apartment tax, air con, telephone/internet and tv? at least 1000 per month

I am assuming that all healthcare is private and something I will be negotiating for both me and my girlfriend, but what are the costs worse case? healthcare should be provided by your company and you can't get it for your girlfriend cos she is not your wife

Food bills - I'm going for 1500 here? won't need that much in groceries. but if eating out is include add more

Car rental for something half decent - 2k? that's the minimum for a bottom end car

Also visa query - I will be getting a work visa through my employer but what about my other half as we are not yet married? she can't come on your visa. Don't even mention her to your employer

Another concern is shipping our little cat out and if anyone has done similar... give your cat to a good home where you are from. Then when you come here help out a local cat and adopt one through feline friends

If the offer is all good we should be coming over in a month or 2 and I think I will earning 23-24k with my girlfriend finding work once we have relocated - Is this enough to live on. Oh and how much to ship out from UK to Dubai from a smallish 2 bed apartment? it is enough to have a good lifestyle. Don't bother shipping stuff - buy it here. it's cheap and hassle free

Cats are not disposable items to be given up and replaced, it's because of attitudes like this why there are so many abandoned pets in Dubai.

PM me and I can give you info on transporting pets to the UAE.
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 22, 2007
Veedub wrote:Many thanks Scarlett, these answers are very helpful!

So what is the score with co-habitation then, we're not married at the moment? Would it be better if we were engaged!?

Follow this link and make up your own mind.

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=19227
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Help - So many questions, so little time! Sep 23, 2007
The Major wrote:
scarlet wrote:
Veedub wrote:
[/color]

Cats are not disposable items to be given up and replaced, it's because of attitudes like this why there are so many abandoned pets in Dubai.

PM me and I can give you info on transporting pets to the UAE.

Major - "because of attitudes like this" you totally read it the wrong way. By bringing cats out here people *could be* adding to the problem - and why not adopt an abandoned cat from the UAE? People in UK - I am assuming he is from UK - are greater animal lovers than the collective society of the UAE and therefore would be easier to find a nice home for it.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 23, 2007
As far as cars are concerned, you can get a 1.6 Mitsubishi Lancer for 1400 per month on a lease deal. Don't think I can mention the name of the lease company on here, but it's attached to one of the 4 large japanese auto companies. What about buying? Ford Focus works out about 900 a month, other similar deals abound.
mbwa shenzi
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 23, 2007
mbwa shenzi wrote:As far as cars are concerned, you can get a 1.6 Mitsubishi Lancer for 1400 per month on a lease deal. Don't think I can mention the name of the lease company on here, but it's attached to one of the 4 large japanese auto companies. What about buying? Ford Focus works out about 900 a month, other similar deals abound.

This is correct. He is talking about Diamondlease I think. Hertz offers Yaris lease deals for around Dhs 1500 too. These are all three-year leases I believe.

If you buy, then sky is the limit. GM was offering a Hummer H3 for Dhs 1900 a month.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum