Getting Out Of Your Apartment Contract Early

Topic locked
Getting out of your apartment contract early Mar 11, 2012
Hi guys,

I moved about two months ago to a new apartment. It's a great place, but we're having terrible problems with noisy neighbours next door! The first time was really loud music. I went around and politely asked them if they could turn it down and that perhaps they didn't realise they were disturbing us, etc. They were very apologetic, turned it down and I thought that was that. But the next day....wow. Not music, but really loud crashing around, walking about in heels, and loud singing -relentlessly, all day. This time we called security. The neighbours threw a strop about that. Apparently the woman next door's a pro singer and thinks it's fine to sing at any time of day or night, loudly! Security told her that was not acceptable.

It went quiet for two weeks after that. We thought it was sorted again. Turns out the neighbours were on holiday!

The last two days the relentless noise - banging about, singing, walking in heels, the TV - have returned because they're back. It is DEFINITELY them, and we've had friends check that the noise is definitely unacceptable and not something we're getting worked up over.

If security approach the neighbours (or I do) they become unbelievably friendly and understanding. But minutes later, with their door closed, we immediately hear them arguing about how if this woman doesn't stop being so loud they're going to get themselves evicted or in trouble with the police. They get really nasty with each other. It's ALMOST funny...but I haven't slept properly in weeks, and my unwell wife - who needs rest - isn't getting proper rest.

The building security's a joke, and the police apparently won't act unless it's a major party or similar every night. I don't want to be in the house any more - it's really got me down. The building management - who I have lodged a proper complaint with, though nothing's happened yet - are starting to see me as a nuisance, but we just want sleep and to quietly enjoy our apartment. I thought I was going crazy until a friend who came over asked us how we coped with the constant noise form next door.

I paid to be in here for a year. Four cheques. Do you guys know if it's possible to cancel early a lease here without too much trouble or am I stuck here? What's the best course of action if I want to move before our contract's up (and we do want to move, as we know that next door own their apartment and won't be leaving!), or do I have to kiss this money goodbye?

Any genuine help or advice appreciated. I'm getting quite depressed about all of this. It is affecting my work, and my relationship. I have never posted on a forum before so I hope this is in the right place etc, but really need some new people to talk to about this.

leedubai
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Getting Out Of Your Apartment Contract Early Mar 11, 2012
I've got 8" of concrete between me and my neighbours. I haven't heard much from my neighbours except when I walk out into the public areas.

Anyway, I don't know why your building doesn't have very good sound proofing, but getting out of a lease here is not easy. Typically the landlord will ask you to forfeit 2 months rent before they give any cheques back.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

blueshift, Thanks for the reply. Yeah, well...the quality of the soundproofing or whatever's going on with the walls is another matter entirely! :? The building is very new, too. Neighbours on the other side of these people have exactly the same problems, and even moved their bed can you believe. I used to live in JBR and that could be occasionally noisy, but nothing like this. When I lived in New York, it was actually not unheard of for landlords to insist on 80% coverage of floor with rugs or carpet so as not to muffle the noise and not disturb people below. There are some really crappy builds there and I wonder if that's the case here.

I'd be quite happy forfeiting two months of rent to be honest. We just want out now! If anybody has any resources or direct experience I'd be really glad to hear from you. I want to try and get some firm idea of where I stand before approaching the landlord.
leedubai
Dubai Forum Guest

Step 1 is to try to resolve things with the landlord. Tell him that you can't stay there an you need to terminate the lease early. See what he has to say - if he agrees to return the cheques without charging you too much, then that's the end of the story.

Step 2. If you cannot settle on agreeable terms, you need to call the rental comittee, they will be able to tell you what to do. The first step will be to get the lease attested by them (rental comittee), for which they will charge you a couple of hundred dirhams, then you will be able to lodge a case.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Getting Out Of Your Apartment Contract Early Mar 14, 2012
Sometimes if there are 3 complaints against a tenant, depending who they rent off, they get asked to leave! If you want to terminate early, the best option is to find someone else to0 take over your lease, otherwise usually the penalty for breaking a contract early is 2 or 3 months rent.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum