Dubai Abu Dhabi Commute

Topic locked
Dubai Abu Dhabi Commute Apr 05, 2009
I have been living and working in Dubai since begining of last year. Now I have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi. The offer and company is good but the only factor is that I do not want to leave Dubai.

One option which I have is to commute daily from Dubai Clock Tower to Abu Dhabi Hamdan Street.

I wanted to know if anyone on this forum does this commute daily and if yes what has their experience been. I am assuming that over time I will get used to it as it should take around 2 hours each way. My office timings will be 8 - 4.

Insight in your experience or your comments will be appreciated.

vizkids
Dubai Forum Visitor

Apr 05, 2009
Commuting is tiring but doable. I used to listen to audiobooks a lot - made it much more tolerable. Starting from Dubai clock tower is a drag, coming back especially will be slow. Move to Jebel Ali. There's a few other topics in here about the Dubai Abu Dhabi commute.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 07, 2009
I commute daily from Dubai Marina to Hamdan St in Abu Dhabi. It was difficult at first but I have discovered a more efficient route of getting through Abu Dhabi so now each way only takes me 1:10 hours. For you living near the Clock Tower roundabout would add another hour to that, so highly recommend that you move the Marina / Discovery Garden etc (especially now that the rents are affordable).
shaq
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 08, 2009
Bonk / Shaq

Thank you for the responses. I guess 1 to 1.5 hours isnt that bad.

Currently I am not used to driving that long distances but I guess once I start I will get used to it and also find out ways to improve the experience or find people to car pool with. Talking to someone is a good way of avoiding dozing off when driving.

Cheers
vizkids
Dubai Forum Visitor

Apr 09, 2009
Drivng two hours on a open highway is much bette than having to snarl through an hour of traffic. I love long distance driving its kinda like therapy with a lot of me time.

Also look into moving to Samha or shahama the first out post towns you hit after exiting dubai after ghantoot. Not too far from Dubai. Dunno what the rent situation there is though. But surely get out of clock tower, will also save getting tagged by salik twice every time you come and go.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 09, 2009
vizkids wrote:Thank you for the responses. I guess 1 to 1.5 hours isnt that bad.

If you stay at clock tower, allow 2-2.5 hours to Abu Dhabi, 2-3 hours return.

Get a comfortable car - it makes a big difference driving a new V6 Camry compared to a 10 year old Corolla.

You'll get used to it but it's still tiring - you're not watching a TV, you're concentrating (or should be) on driving and even in a straight line on a motorway there's still a lot of information to process continuously.

Many people commute Dubai-Abu Dhabi so there should be good potential for carpooling.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum