6 Day Work Week?

Topic locked
6 Day work week? Feb 06, 2008
I'm in the process of negotiating a contract and my potential employer (an UAE national owned company) is requiring a 5 1/2 or 6 day work week. Is that the norm for a a senior management position? As far as I'm concerned there's not a big difference between 5 1/2 qnd 6 days. If you have to go in on a 6th day for any time, the day is committed, and I would suspect that the half days would frequently become more than half. I've held senior management positions in the US for 25 years, and I can't imagine many US execs doing it, especially since the financial packageis not that superior.

lochfyne
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: 6 Day work week? Feb 07, 2008
lochfyne wrote:I'm in the process of negotiating a contract and my potential employer (an UAE national owned company) is requiring a 5 1/2 or 6 day work week. Is that the norm for a a senior management position? As far as I'm concerned there's not a big difference between 5 1/2 qnd 6 days. If you have to go in on a 6th day for any time, the day is committed, and I would suspect that the half days would frequently become more than half. I've held senior management positions in the US for 25 years, and I can't imagine many US execs doing it, especially since the financial packageis not that superior.

The Public Sector in the UAE has adopted a 5 day working week Sunday through Thursday, this is still optional for the Private Sector which still works a basic 48hour week, many companies have however gone over to the 5 day week working a 9 1/2 day.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 07, 2008
It is normal for many people. often you will get an 11 day working fortnight so every second Saturday off. A lot of construction companies do it as do local companies.

And yes westerners do it too.

You have to evaluate your lifestyle and decide if it worth it for you or not.

I wouldn't do it.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 08, 2008
Thanks for the comments. My inclination is not to do it. I've been running similar businesses successfully for years in a 5 day week. Sort of makes me feel like an indentured servant.
lochfyne
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 08, 2008
yeah its a stupid old mentality. I mean i am sure some of us have those weeks where we work a 7 day week let alone 6 .. but this should be to the discretion of the person and not a mandatory 5 1/2 or 6 day week or any of this alternative weekend BS .. there are so many studies on how a two day weekend is better for productivity.

But i think in the crazy construction industry i believe its almost the norm. The guys in the industry can correct me if i am wrong.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2008
Unfortunately many people still work a 6 day week, often 7 days some weeks, it's just the way it works here and depends what industry you're in.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum