Contemporary Furniture - Any Suggestions?

Topic locked
Contemporary furniture - Any suggestions? Aug 06, 2007
Need some help folks. Been going crazy trying to find some simple, straight line and AFFORDABLE sofas. Everything we've seen is really bulky, ornate and EXPENSIVE. Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of where we should look in Dubai for modern, straight line sofas, preferably upholstered in fabric (and not leather, which seems to be very popular in these parts)?

syiem
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 06, 2007
Sounds like IKEA!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 06, 2007
Pan Furniture on SZR is pretty good.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 06, 2007
IKEA is out... haven't found anything we like, inspite of endless trips. Did manage to pick up bookshelves etc.. PAN Furniture is an option. Where on SZR is it located?
syiem
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 06, 2007
syiem wrote:IKEA is out... haven't found anything we like, inspite of endless trips. Did manage to pick up bookshelves etc.. PAN Furniture is an option. Where on SZR is it located?

Ohhh... near Tomacco I think.
^ian^

Aug 06, 2007
great! will check it out and hopefully find something decent...
syiem
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Contemporary furniture - Any suggestions? Aug 06, 2007
syiem wrote:Need some help folks. Been going crazy trying to find some simple, straight line and AFFORDABLE sofas. Everything we've seen is really bulky, ornate and EXPENSIVE. Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of where we should look in Dubai for modern, straight line sofas, preferably upholstered in fabric (and not leather, which seems to be very popular in these parts)?

Why don't you try and find some time to go to Sharjah, quite a lot of furniture shops, reasonably priced.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 07, 2007
Checked out PAN furniture - no luck... sharjah is last option as getting there is a pain. don't have a license so can't drive and cabs are expensive..
syiem
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 07, 2007
I like The One.

I didn't find them to be *too* expensive and its fairly modern. They're in Jumeirah (next to Mosque) or in Mall of the Emirates.
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 07, 2007
try home center- MOE, reef mall, and theres one shop in karama forgot the name but its a pretty big one. will try to find the name later.

Maybe this could help?

http://www.dubaipropertycentre.com/arti ... p?cat_id=8

cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 07, 2007
Thanks everyone. have tried Home Centre at Reef Mall and MoE as well as The One in MoE. No luck. Guess all the good stuff must have finished 'cause of the sales... any idea if and where one could get sofas made???
syiem
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 07, 2007
DeeDee wrote:I like The One.

I didn't find them to be *too* expensive and its fairly modern. They're in Jumeirah (next to Mosque) or in Mall of the Emirates.

I was in The One not so long ago and saw the exact same dining room table I bought at Home Centre for TWICE the price.
^ian^

Aug 07, 2007
Try Homes R' Us at Al Mazaya Centre near Thunderbowel.
^ian^

Aug 07, 2007
Our house is furnished by Home Centre, have to say they are awesome and cheap. but their furniture can be bulky so if you're working with a small place maybe not that suitable.

If you have a picture of what you want and measurements you can have things made in Satwa or Karama, in Satwa take a left (heading Jebal Ali bound) at Rydges plaza roundabout and you'll see a bunch of furniture places, stop and price things out, make sure to negotiate hard though.

Karama there are a few furniture places on the back side of the Emarat, if you were facing Emarat with Zabeel park behind you, walk towards where they sell all the fake purses/watches and you’ll see about 5 furniture stores, go in any of them, again negotiation is your friend.

To be honest we briefly explored getting things made but found it cheaper to buy ready made for what we were looking for.

Good luck, apparently Sharjah furniture street, near Sharjah City Centre and the Jebal Ali free zone can have things made for you as well but I have no experience with these areas.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 07, 2007
Thanks fayz.. we liked some of the home centre stuff but it was very bulky... we have a largish room but with bookshelves, large windows etc. the space actually becomes to small to keep such bulky furniture...

preference would be to buy readymade (at least you know what you're buying) but if that doesn't work, then we'll try the options you've suggested. we do have a design which we can get copied...
syiem
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum