Construction In Residential Area At Night

Topic locked
Construction in residential area at night Sep 13, 2007
Okay, I know it's Ramadan and you don't want to be working in the daytime heat when you're fasting. But it's half past nine at night and the people building the new villa next door are hammering and sawing away like crazy. We've got kids trying to sleep. What can we do, other than ask them to stop?

jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007
Can we call police for this kind of public disturbance?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 14, 2007
Yes you can. You can also call the municipality and report the company. What I normally do is go to the site, take down the number get hold of the site manager and tell them to be quiet. There are strict times that they're allowed to be working and not.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 14, 2007
Is this still the case in Ramadan? The site across from me is making loads of noise and its 9pm in the evening??? Can they do this?
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 16, 2007
i know this wont be too helpful but while you are waiting for the police to intervene, buy earplugs.

i have some, and they really do cut out almost all noise, i live somewhere where cars always beep their horns as they are all blocked in near a bank, and now it just all sounds dull and distant.

ps i sleep with them in, they are not uncomfortable or dangerous.
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

night noise Sep 16, 2007
hi

i have spoken to the site engineer next to me and he said because they are a month behind schedule they have been granted pemission to work at night.
tonight though the crane's lights are on and lights on the site but no workers there but the generator seems to be extra noisy! why do they have to keep it going when it doesnt need to be?

who at the municipality do we complain to? does anyone have an email address or number?

i have ear plugs :cry:
snowball68
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 17, 2007
They normally run the generators 24/7 as part of the "de-watering" process, in most instances the ground water levels are very high (higher than the foundation levels). They have to run the pumps to keep the foundations free of water until they have hardened sufficiently. Alternatively they are not connected into the DEWA grid yet.

Just because an "engineer" said they have permission I wouldn't believe it. Phone the police. Construction companies have to pay a fine for repeated violations. I would expect that because they are running behind they feel the amount of fines that they will pay is outweighed by amount of money they stand to loose in penalties for not completing a portion of work on time.....

The more you phone the more they will be fined :) if you can’t sleep at least have the satisfaction of knowing that someone is paying for the privilege! :D
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 17, 2007
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 17, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:They normally run the generators 24/7 as part of the "de-watering" process, in most instances the ground water levels are very high (higher than the foundation levels). They have to run the pumps to keep the foundations free of water until they have hardened sufficiently. Alternatively they are not connected into the DEWA grid yet.

Just because an "engineer" said they have permission I wouldn't believe it. Phone the police. Construction companies have to pay a fine for repeated violations. I would expect that because they are running behind they feel the amount of fines that they will pay is outweighed by amount of money they stand to loose in penalties for not completing a portion of work on time.....

The more you phone the more they will be fined :) if you can’t sleep at least have the satisfaction of knowing that someone is paying for the privilege! :D

Good advice dbx, keep phoning the police.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum