CALLY TO DUBAI...

Topic locked
CALLY TO DUBAI... Jan 25, 2006
What's up ya'll? SERIOUSLY contemplating on moving to Dubai at the end of the year from California. I'll try not to flood these boards with senseless mumble, but there are things I just have to know...hopefully you can help without "too" much criticism(I'm cool if you do). Anyways, I'll start off with this: how is the surfing, sailing, wind kiting there? What's the cost of sailboats? I'm in the aviation industry and know Dubai Int. is booming with Jebel Ali on the way, but Emirates Group doesn't post salaries...only saying that it is "attractive." I'm talking about an operations position(if anybody knows). Also, I'm currently learning Arabic, but how important is it really to know Arabic? Is it crucial, better for more $ at work, or can you do just fine 'cause all the expats? Last of all, what is the dating scene like? Do expats actually meet people there and get married...to Nationals or expats? Thanks for all....and love from California.

Tspwilley22
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 25, 2006
Surfing...not so sure but kite surfing is big down at Jebel Ali beach. I know sailboats are more than reasonably priced and you do see them on notice boards in supermarkets now and again when expats leave. If you are into the outdoor stuff you could buy a dirt (or would that be sand?? :lol: ) bike, also quad bikes are popular. All are cheap here and also can be bought second hand cheaper again. Safety stuff to go with them I'm not so sure as I see people riding them down main roads without helmets :shock: (which is illegal BTW) but then again it doesn't mean you can't buy them...people after all don't use seat belts and perch their kids on the dashboard (new type of airbag?) here :shock: :shock: Also if you get a 4wd you can go dune bashing or drive to other Emirates etc. There is enough here to keep you occupied....near Jebel Ali Beach there is a go-karting track, a shooting range and a golf club (heaps of golf clubs around Dubai actually).You could also do a diving course and go diving! :)
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 27, 2006
Thanks GAB...good info...I definitely will try out the dunes. It sounds like there's a lot of stuff to do there that "I" like anyways...boys will be boys. Thanks again!
Tspwilley22
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum