Bringing A "Maybe" Banned Dog To Dubai

Topic locked
Bringing A "Maybe" Banned Dog To Dubai Jan 05, 2008
So I hear they have banned some breeds of dogs in Dubai. Does anyone have information on this? Is it true? What kind of dogs? One of my dogs is a mixed breed that looks like a big scooby doo with a big "bull" type head. He is only about 90 pounds and very gentle. He is part bull mastiff/lab we think. He could pass for a boxer kind of.

Does anyone know if I came there, how can I prove my dog is not one of the "banned" breeds?

I cannot accept an offer until I have this straightened away. How do I find out? Do I need to send a picture to the "dog association" in Dubai? Do I need written papers from a vet here in Canada?

Please help as I cant leave my dog here!

canadianguy
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 05, 2008
Your vet will need to issue you with a pet passport or export permit for your dog, this will have to state the breed or cross breed so you will need to have you vet state his breed.

Copies of this have to be sent to the ministry in Dubai for an import permit to be issued. I would contact the ministry here for clarification. They were VERY helpful when I brought my animals from the UK. I had to get some special dispensation letters and they issued them immediatly.

If your dog is crossbreed and not on the banned list you will be OK.

Also, the banned list is misleading, as you can keep one of the dogs on the list in a villa, not in an apartment, but it must be muzzled and on a lead whilst being walked.
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Bringing A "Maybe" Banned Dog To Dubai Jan 05, 2008
canadianguy wrote:So I hear they have banned some breeds of dogs in Dubai. Does anyone have information on this? Is it true? What kind of dogs? One of my dogs is a mixed breed that looks like a big scooby doo with a big "bull" type head. He is only about 90 pounds and very gentle. He is part bull mastiff/lab we think. He could pass for a boxer kind of.

Does anyone know if I came there, how can I prove my dog is not one of the "banned" breeds?

I cannot accept an offer until I have this straightened away. How do I find out? Do I need to send a picture to the "dog association" in Dubai? Do I need written papers from a vet here in Canada?

Please help as I cant leave my dog here!

Dubai Municipality prohibited list of dogs include

American Staffordshire Terrier
American Pit Bull Terrier
American Bull Dog
Bull Terrier
Old English Bull Dog
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Tosa
Husky
Rottweiler
Doberman
Shar Pei
Perro de presa mallorquin/Bull Dog
Neapolitan
Argentinean Mastiff
Miniature Bull Terrier
Canary dog fila brasilerio/ Brazilian Mastiff
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 05, 2008
that seems to be a joke i ve seen here already a PitBull and at least to different Rottweiler in the last couple of weeks.
The Pit was a young one as well as one of the Rotties, the other Rottweiler was for sure at least 6 years old, nice one! (the Rotties)
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 05, 2008
M! wrote:that seems to be a joke i ve seen here already a PitBull and at least to different Rottweiler in the last couple of weeks.
The Pit was a young one as well as one of the Rotties, the other Rottweiler was for sure at least 6 years old, nice one! (the Rotties)

Misleading - They are not exactly banned, when they allowed in villas and are OK to be exercised in public as long as they are leashed and muzzled. There is an official circular issued by the municipality that I will try to locate on line and post accordingly.
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 05, 2008
Thanks for your responses! The Major...anything you can find that is "official" would be great!
canadianguy
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 05, 2008
here is the most recent Gulf News article......

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07 ... 78586.html

Once again, the 'banned' dogs need to be leashed and muzzled as confirmed by the municipality, so not really 'banned' just additional restrictions.

Confirm with the ministry that you are able to obtain an import certificate - you can do this over the phone - get the staff members name, then you will be fine...

Good Luck, PM me if you need further info
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 06, 2008
I would recommend enlisting the services of Dubai Kennels and Cattery (DKC). We were going in circles doing the permit and all that bringing our pets from Canada. They put us in touch with a company in Vancouver who did the Canada end of things, and they did all the Dubai end. In fact, we tried to save a few bucks doing some work ourselves, but in the end, it was cheaper to hire these 2 companies! All our calls/faxes/emails were a total waste. The person who helped us is named Shannon...very nice and accommodating...and even after we screwed up our paperwork, she re-did it and took care of everything. The whole thing was a slum-dunk and took 2 days from YVR to DXB. Their facilities are great, and I would definately use them again. I don't know why..but using the service in Vancouver for the flights, accom., vet and the whole bit was cheaper than the flight aone if we did it ourselves. Oh, and DKC have been doing this for 20 years or so, and know all the rules and tips....I would consider their advice (which is free) on good authority.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum