Alcohol In Daily Life

Topic locked
Alcohol in daily life Jul 12, 2007
I've been reading up on alcohol in dubai, and i can't quite grasp how it applies in daily life. I have a couple questions:

1) If I have a beach villa, can i openly drink a gin & tonic while playing boche ball? or bring a cooler of brews and play volleyball somewhere?

2) Regarding public drunkeness--and i don't mean to sound like a boozer --but does that mean i can't bring a flask to the racetrack? or stumble home singing to myself after a night out on the town?

3) How difficult it is to land a flat with a couple of blokes who like to have fun, without the pretense of sophistication?

I'm strongly considering a move to Dubai, and appreciate any input. Thanks!!

fritztastic
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Alcohol in daily life Jul 13, 2007
fritztastic wrote:2) Regarding public drunkeness

Just heard a story about someone picked up by police a few weeks ago for being drunk in public while waiting for a taxi. Jail for a few days and a fine. Not the first time I've heard of that happening.

Drinking at home and in bars is fine. Drinking in public is not.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Just heard a story about someone picked up by police a few weeks ago for being drunk in public while waiting for a taxi. Jail for a few days and a fine. Not the first time I've heard of that happening.

Wow, while waiting for a taxi, huh?

I don't mean to be persnikity, but do you think he was doing something that warranted it (like being loud or harrassing)?

Perhaps I'm being naive, but people hailing taxis after a bar can't be prosecuted regularly, is it?

I guess another question, re: alcolhol in the home, can i assume most roommate shares allow drinking in the home? and is cigarette smoking common?
fritztastic
Dubai Expat Wannabe

fritztastic wrote:

Wow, while waiting for a taxi, huh?

I don't mean to be persnikity, but do you think he was doing something that warranted it (like being loud or harrassing)?

Perhaps I'm being naive, but people hailing taxis after a bar can't be prosecuted regularly, is it?

I guess another question, re: alcolhol in the home, can i assume most roommate shares allow drinking in the home? and is cigarette smoking common?

Your not supposed to drink in public, if your staggering drunk in public you could be picked up as bonk stated.

If you are going to share, you should check first, some may object due to their beliefs.

Smoking is common here, however a ban has already been introduced in all Government offices and is supposed to be extended to public places such as Malls, restaurants etc. from 1st Sept.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

fritztastic wrote:I don't mean to be persnikity, but do you think he was doing something that warranted it (like being loud or harrassing)?
Probably? No idea. Possibly? Yes.

Hailing a taxi isn't a crime. Being drunk in public is.

If non-Muslim Western roommates, yes. Smoking is common but as the Onion says, restrictions are increasing.
bonk

Re: Alcohol in daily life Jul 14, 2007
bonk wrote:Just heard a story about someone picked up by police a few weeks ago for being drunk in public while waiting for a taxi. Jail for a few days and a fine. Not the first time I've heard of that happening.

There was a story a few years back about a guy mistaking a police car for a taxi... Classic :lol:
benwj

Re: Alcohol in daily life Jul 14, 2007
fritztastic wrote:I've been reading up on alcohol in dubai, and i can't quite grasp how it applies in daily life. I have a couple questions:

1) If I have a beach villa, can i openly drink a gin & tonic while playing boche ball? or bring a cooler of brews and play volleyball somewhere?

as sage and the others have pointed out, being drunk is public is an offence, unless you are obviously drunk (and staggering), or someone complains about your behaviour then you most likily would be arrested. consuming alcohol is illegal. i have had friends who have been arrested whilst standing outside a bar (waitng for a cab), although they were being a little "high spirited" :D

2) Regarding public drunkeness--and i don't mean to sound like a boozer --but does that mean i can't bring a flask to the racetrack? or stumble home singing to myself after a night out on the town?

if your neighbours/ other residents complain the police have to take action and investigate the complaint. word of caution if you are caught in ramadan you have to spend the remainder of ramadan in jail.

the "punishment" varies depending on who you are and what you got up to while creating a disturbance, this can range from a fine to a few days/ weeks in jail. another word of caution, if you are jailed your company can legally terminate your contract and have you shipped home. some local sponsors don't like the embarrisment caused by having thier employees jailed for drunken behavoir, while others have a more "boys will be boys" approach to this issue as long as it doesn't become a habit.

3) How difficult it is to land a flat with a couple of blokes who like to have fun, without the pretense of sophistication?

I'm strongly considering a move to Dubai, and appreciate any input. Thanks!!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum