Air Conditioning *Second Opinions

Topic locked
Air Conditioning *Second opinions Jun 01, 2007
I think our air conditioning might be screwed and I want to try to gauge if it is not just the hotter weather (I am sure it is not, as a good AC should get it almost shivering cold inside).

We have one of the systems that feeds through ducts / or vents throughout the apartment (its a 12 storey development) and there are two controls which are dials going from 0 up to 30 with a fan power control with three switch positions.

The fans work, but in the bedroom it feels like just a fan blowing on you with none of the cold air - we have it set all the way down to 10 and its still to hot in the room and its hard to sleep so I am sure something is up.

Has anyone else ever had any problems of a similiar fashion? Is it just a case of the freon needs topping up or is it just harder for them to do the job due to it being hot at night now.

Its a rented apartment so I am going to track down the maintenance guy as soon as I can - but I am concerned that they will try to avoid responsilbilty as they have done before when a heater switch needed replacing.

Its now 4am and I am still awake :roll:

jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Re: Air Conditioning *Second opinions Jun 01, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:I think our air conditioning might be screwed and I want to try to gauge if it is not just the hotter weather (I am sure it is not, as a good AC should get it almost shivering cold inside).

We have one of the systems that feeds through ducts / or vents throughout the apartment (its a 12 storey development) and there are two controls which are dials going from 0 up to 30 with a fan power control with three switch positions.

The fans work, but in the bedroom it feels like just a fan blowing on you with none of the cold air - we have it set all the way down to 10 and its still to hot in the room and its hard to sleep so I am sure something is up.

Has anyone else ever had any problems of a similiar fashion? Is it just a case of the freon needs topping up or is it just harder for them to do the job due to it being hot at night now.

Its a rented apartment so I am going to track down the maintenance guy as soon as I can - but I am concerned that they will try to avoid responsilbilty as they have done before when a heater switch needed replacing.

Its now 4am and I am still awake :roll:

Do you know if it is a Split System (Direct expansion) or Central Chilled Water? In any case if it is a split then Maintenance will need to check for a leak and then top up the system. If it is Central Chilled Water, Maintenance will have to check first if their is a strainer in the line (needs cleaning) second if your 2/3 way valve is operating.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:Do you know if it is a Split System (Direct expansion) or Central Chilled Water? In any case if it is a split then Maintenance will need to check for a leak and then top up the system. If it is Central Chilled Water, Maintenance will have to check first if their is a strainer in the line (needs cleaning) second if your 2/3 way valve is operating.

Sage, I have not got a clue mate :shock:

Its sound like a central system? The doorman said that its the same one for everyone (up on the roof I think)? But i don't know anything about aircon - I can deal with central heating, bleed radiators and even poke around a boiler, but this is new ground for me.

I can't get at the thing itself. It's definatley knacked as I went in the eppco earlier for a pint of milk and was like 'wow thats how it should be'.

I got about 3 hours sleep last night and I feel well haggered.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jun 01, 2007
I had the same problem in my apartment. Ever since moving in last year, it's not that cold. Then it stopped working when the winter is over and we started to use the AC. It's central, so there's nothing we could do about it other than to ask the watchmen/technician to fix. They came, clean and fix the unit on our apartment (even central has also separate unit for each flat) and also they did something on the main unit (on the rooftop). Then it's back to normal.

I always had opinion that central AC is far better than window AC (too noisy and has not much power). But then seeing the electricity bill every month, next time I move to another apartment, I would definitely choose split AC. I just turn it on only in the room where I want to (e.g. when sleeping).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

jabbajabba wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Do you know if it is a Split System (Direct expansion) or Central Chilled Water? In any case if it is a split then Maintenance will need to check for a leak and then top up the system. If it is Central Chilled Water, Maintenance will have to check first if their is a strainer in the line (needs cleaning) second if your 2/3 way valve is operating.

Sage, I have not got a clue mate :shock:

Its sound like a central system? The doorman said that its the same one for everyone (up on the roof I think)? But i don't know anything about aircon - I can deal with central heating, bleed radiators and even poke around a boiler, but this is new ground for me.

I can't get at the thing itself. It's definatley knacked as I went in the eppco earlier for a pint of milk and was like 'wow thats how it should be'.

I got about 3 hours sleep last night and I feel well haggered.

Sounds like Central Chilled Water System, ask the maintenance to come in and carry out the following;

1) Clean Strainer in Chilled Water Pipe just before the Fan Coil Unit.

2) Check that the 2/3 way Valve at the Fan Coil Unit is operating in conjunction with the Room Thermostat.

3) Clean the Air Filter of the Fan Coil Unit.

Good Luck
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum