Advice On Where To Live And Commute Times

Topic locked
Advice on where to live and commute times Dec 10, 2007
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the board but have been reading it a lot over the last month or so.

I'm moving to Dubai at the beginning of January and my office will be located in International City. I've done a lot of research into different areas to live and their prices. I was in Dubai a few weeks ago and had a look around at a few neighbourhoods. I've read loads on this forum and done a lot of searches but am still a bit confused about where I should be looking for an apartment. Dubai Marina and The Greens seem nice but I'm not sure if this will be too far to commute to International City. I'll be looking for a 1 bedroom in a new building with pool, gym etc and know that to live in this area I'll need to pay about 80-95k (although I'd happily pay less). I'm also wondering what it would be like to live in International City - I've read lots of conflicting information on here with some people saying it's ok and others saying it isn't so good.

My wife will be with me and won't be working initially, so I'd like to choose somewhere that's easy for her to get out and about during the day too. We don't have any kids, so that's not a concern.

What would everyone recommend? Any advice would be appreciated.

snoopy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 10, 2007
If you are working in International City, why don't you try for a place in Mirdiff, I doubt your budget will stretch to Dubai Marina and as you say its a way to drive, mind you, you are against the traffic so it shouldn't be that bad.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 10, 2007
I own a place at IC. I like it even tho I don't live there. Persia is away from the smelly sewage plant. But the place is probably beneath you, considering a few flats are taken up by sharing "bachelors." Some of the buildings are more upscale. The only places there with covered parking/gym/pool are those high-rise upscale ones close to the roundabouts. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see the area.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 10, 2007
Hi Guys,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and for the advice.
snoopy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Advice on where to live and commute times Dec 12, 2007
snoopy wrote:My wife will be with me and won't be working initially, so I'd like to choose somewhere that's easy for her to get out and about during the day too.

This is one of the reason why I chose an apt in the city, proximity to almost anything. Important especially if your wife is alone (no kids) and not driving her own car. Yes you can get a taxi, better off relying on them especially in remote residential areas. There's just too many dissatisfaction with their services.
I'd suggest somewhere around Wafi mall/Healthcare city (Oud Metha area). There are lots of new apt buildings within your budget range. Mirdiff also a good choice, but I think it's above your budget.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum