Accused For Theft

Topic locked
Accused for Theft Mar 24, 2012
Hi peeps,

I am accused by one of my friends of stealing more than 25000 from his home during his and some other people presence. He has submitted a case with Dubai Police against me on March 12 2012 and the CID Sergeants showed up, put handcuffs and taken me on March 22 with them to Jebel Ali Police Station. I have been investigated and my home has been checked by them. And by the night they have kept my passport with them as a bail and let me go home. They told me they will call me and i have to go to the court. Now here are the facts that i dont know how to handle them;

- My friend who has accused me of stealing money is not in country, he filled the complain on 12 and i think he left the same day or a day later. And he is not here in UAE.

- In his statement with police he said, he and me were alone at his home when the money was gone, but infect there were two other people too. I have told the names of other people to the police in my statement but i dont have their contact details.

- According to him the money was gone from his bag that was some where in sitting lounge, we were sitting in. I was with him for around 3 hours and we were watching few videos and he showed me few frames also that we can do business in future with. There was my bag too with me that i have taken with me when i left, also with a bag of frames that he gave me. And he also wanted me to come next day to take the camera bag, well thats some other story.

- We were sitting at the Paul restaurant for like 1 hour or so before he invited me to come to his home. I used to go there before also. Infect i had his home key before 1 year that he has taken long back too. Though nothing happened in that tenor.

- He sent me text on 13th March and few emails threatening me to return the money that i havent taken at the first place. And i told him you can go to police if you want because i am not involved in this picture at all.

Now i am here in Dubai and my passport is with Police and my visit visa expires on April 24th 2012 and i have to leave before that. I am a Pakistani national 22 years of age. I dont know what to do now. Can some body help me in this. What if he doesnt come back to UAE before April 24th. What should i have to do with the Court. Do i need to have a lawyer. Because i dont have much money i cannot afford a visa overstay fine or even a lawyer. Any one can advise me the plan of action ??

Thanks

skraza
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Accused For Theft Mar 24, 2012
Wow, that must be upsetting! You really need to speak with a lawyer because he/she will have the best advice. Good luck with everything! If I were you I'd try to track down the two others who were there and provide the police with their info so that you don't remain the only suspect.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli , I only know one of those other two people .. i tried tracking them down today ... one of them the lady has also left with my friend and the second guy is the boy friend of the girl ... so by no means i can reach those other too .... I am seriously in a deep trouble ...
skraza
Dubai Forum Guest

I think you should get a lawyer so that you have help with all of this.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:I think you should get a lawyer so that you have help with all of this.
Talk about stating the obvious! Did you gain that knowledge through a degree course?
professorgreen
BANNED

Re: Accused for Theft Mar 25, 2012
These things can take months to be brought before a court. The only way to get your passport back to renew your visa, is to submit another passport (of a male), in it's place.

You need a good Arabic speaking lawyer - as all court hearings and proceedings take place in Arabic.

Sounds like a really horrible situation.

Any idea why he would accuse you of stealing the money in the first place?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Accused For Theft Mar 25, 2012
What if he doesn't have anyone else willing to offer their passport? They must extend his visa somehow.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Pff come on K, the way things work in this country, he'll get charged overstay and end up paying fines. Sad, but more than likely true.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

That's ridiculous. Let's hope a lawyer can help sort things.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sadly, good lawyers here cost money.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Pff come on K

What does pff mean?
naughtyalice
BANNED

Chocoholic , I have no idea why would he accuse me like that ... i am trying to reach him ... and i do want to sit in front of him and talk that what went wrong .... I cannot renew my visa ... i have a three months business visa and its expiring soon ... i have to exit to get another visa ....

--- Mar 25, 2012 ---

But more over right now i am trying to sort out things .. and find a way out to leave this country ASAP ... cox i dont want to pay fines or get deported for no reason ...

and the best part is i dont have a way out apart from siting at home and do nothing but just wait for police to call me again ...
skraza
Dubai Forum Guest

Do not contact this person! Get someone in authority to do it, otherwise you'll likely end up in even more trouble. All contact njow, should be done through official sources i.e. police, lawyers, etc
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Accused For Theft Mar 26, 2012
It's just like the Dubai police to take sides like that. I doubt the police want to take this case to court. The case is based on pure speculation. Have you tried contacting your embassy to see if they can help?

Also, I suggest you try talking to the police officer in charge of the police station. Your friend made a mistake and accused you falsly.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

If they have no evidence of you having the money on your person, or a bank deposit of that sum, or sudden spending of that sum, and more importantly no witness or video of you stealing - they don't have much of a case. Your friend's accusation is only words.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

That's right Kanelli, they don't have a case at all, but that won't get his/her passport back.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Will the police tell him anything about what the friend is offering as proof, without having a lawyer functioning on his behalf?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

He can only have a fabricated proof to trap me ... he cannot have a genuine proof as i am not the culprit ...

guys ... is there any way i can get my passport back and leave from here ... apart from providing police with some other passport of any other person ...
skraza
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Accused For Theft Mar 27, 2012
If you can figure out a way for the police to give you your passport, go for it!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Accused For Theft Mar 27, 2012
Hey, If he (the person pressing charges) is not in the country and cannot attend court - isnt the case dropped?

One thing I get scared of in this country - if someone wants to get rid of you - all they do is call the police - they arrest you and ask question later!
ksouq
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum