Accommodation Matter

Topic locked
Accommodation matter May 24, 2007
I don't know if this thread belongs here or in the Accommodation in Dubai forum. I have been living in an external college dorm. A friend of mine suggested that I move with her and share the rent. She said there's no need to sign any papers or anything since we fall under the same gender.

My question is: is this procedure legal? Can I just move in and pay my share of the rent without contacting the landlord?

EyeCandyDiva
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 24, 2007
That is it. The landlord is not supposed to know. It is based on trust.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 24, 2007
And if the landlord caught you, most probably they will demand for higher rate. If not to kick your friend out. Some apartments (read: watchmen) don't care, some do. So I suggest you to approach and be nice to the watchmen for not telling the landlord or the agent.

It's common for the landlord to ask whether the apartment will be used for family or shared. I got my contract stamped with "FAMILY ONLY" and got info that my neighbour (same apt type) paid 20% more than mine just because they share it with 4 persons.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 25, 2007
Mixed opinions. Anyone else can assist?
Thank you guys, always appreciate the help.
EyeCandyDiva
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 25, 2007
EyeCandyDiva wrote:Mixed opinions. Anyone else can assist?

Actually, xty and me meant the same thing. Sharing apartments are technically illegal here, sort of like muslims being banned from drinking. But both goes on around here rather openly. You just have to be discreet about it all.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 25, 2007
gtmash wrote:
EyeCandyDiva wrote:Mixed opinions. Anyone else can assist?

Actually, xty and me meant the same thing. Sharing apartments are technically illegal here, sort of like muslims being banned from drinking. But both goes on around here rather openly. You just have to be discreet about it all.

Sorry :lol: , wrote the previous post at 4 am, I was just awaken after a short sleep! Thanks again.
EyeCandyDiva
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum