If You Are African In A 5* Hotel, You Must Be A Hooker

Topic locked
If you are African in a 5* hotel, you must be a hooker Oct 10, 2010
So Mrs. DD organized a team building weekend in Abu Dhabi last weekend and her and her work mates entered the Dragonboat Festival/Race. The boss closed the shop and brought the whole gang down on her dime for the weekend. They stayed at a fantastic 5-star hotel and subsequently anyone that was not a white westerner was treated like dirt! Her work is a diverse place, European, Filipino, African, Asian, etc.

The first day at the pool, even though they were all hanging out together, the female Filipino staff were instructed to go to the "maid's area", Mrs. DD had to intervene and explain the situation. The African ladies (and one guy) were approached at the bar and told they would have to leave as prostitutes were not allowed. Security made them produce room keys, every piece of paper under the sun AND Mrs. DD to verify that they were in fact all together. They still received no service. Mrs. DD had to order for them.

None of the Sri Lankan staff nor the Filipino staff were even offered service in any bar or at the pool. The whities had to beat the bar waiters off with a stick, yet they would not approach the others unless told to. They would subsequently wait an hour for anything.

In the nightclub (that was almost empty) it was a production for them to all come in. The boss was paying the bill, so surely they would want 30 people inside who were given carte blanche to order? Seems not. As the night progressed, the African, Asian, etc. just danced and had 2-3 drinks tops. The whities proceeded to drink themselves silly, falling down drunk but this was not a problem.

I don't see colour, people tell me I am white and I believe them. I am familiar with stereotypes, but this repeated, insulting racism is a little much I think. And yes, a scathing letter was sent. Their response: free room nights for all. Seriously, why would they go back and be subjected to that treatment. This whole gang has gone out many times before en masse in Dubai and has never been treated like this. Is it an Abu Dhabi thing?

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: If you are African in a 5* hotel, you must be a hooker Oct 10, 2010
Any indication as to which hotel? We used to go out en masse with staff of all nationalities in AD, never really had an issue. Seems like a more recent thing.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: If You Are African In A 5* Hotel, You Must Be A Hooker Oct 10, 2010
Name and Shame. And they should go back to spend a day, bring more non-whites, stay over one night order room service for breakfast and depart. Keep the food coming, and the booze. Racism is alive and well in the region, but this is outrageously blatant and disgusting.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

It was Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:It was Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi.

Sending you a PM with info.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Dispicable and utterly disguting. Should have walked out and demanded a refund. Name and shame to the max. See if you can get some local rags to cover this.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: If You Are African In A 5* Hotel, You Must Be A Hooker Oct 11, 2010
I am glad to see someone who doesnt face racism see the blatant racism that exists in this part of the world.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

desertdudeshj wrote:Dispicable and utterly disguting. Should have walked out and demanded a refund. Name and shame to the max. See if you can get some local rags to cover this.

It was pretty sad, DD, Bora sent thru some info that I have forwarded to the powers-that-be. At least thru all the crap, they accomplished the mission, which was team building. Who would have thought it was due to this crap and not the Dragon Boat race itself?
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

BlackburnRovers wrote:I am glad to see someone who doesnt face racism see the blatant racism that exists in this part of the world.

BBR, I'm confused. Who are you referring to?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: If You Are African In A 5* Hotel, You Must Be A Hooker Oct 14, 2010
Bora Bora wrote:
dubaidog wrote:It was Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi.

Sending you a PM with info.

Other thread refers.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat