World's Friendliest Countries

Topic locked
World's Friendliest Countries Feb 23, 2009
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-25363634

Behind The Numbers

The study surveyed 2,155 expats in 48 countries, spanning four continents, between February and April 2008. Respondents rated their country in four categories: ability to befriend locals, number that joined a community group, number that learned the language and percentage that bought property.

... China, India and United Arab Emirates scored low overall because cultural differences from the West made integration difficult

miss_mel
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 23, 2009
That's Odd

Well, basically U.A.E being oriented as a least friendly country is nonsense, I mean which country in the middle east is as free and good as U.A.E. Now yes there are cultural differences from the west but why don't people understand that whatever be the progress, U.A.E is always an islamic country.
But which islamic country gives so much of freedom and show's such liberalism??? I believe that's what people should look at, well I am an Indian who was born and bought up here n i've seen this place change in front of my very eyes and the rulers have put their heart and soul into this social equality and development, with the rulers themselves promoting social firndship n communities. This country allows everyone and thing to thrive on a legal basis.
Well maybe the situation with the country disallowing an Isreali tennis player in dubai or the non publishing of a book containing homo-sexuality maybe a reason for this resent; well ther is a logical point to this reaction.
Well recently India cut of a series to be played with Pakistan due to the rift present between the two countries, why doesn't anybody oppose that so much???. This series was called off due to security reasons, the same way security issues did not allow that player to enter, why pick on Dubai guys???, well then if this happens else where pick on some other big fish. As for the non-publication of the book; as stated above the bottom line remains that U.A.E is an Islamic country and has it's culture, social heritage and all to look after that does not allow the publication of the same, just don't holla hoop non-sense without looking at the facts...Dubai rocks n so it should!!!
aswinrnath
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 23, 2009
I have to disagree with you aswinrnath,
Dubai seems great for the first year or so but after a while you realize that the locals want you here for one thing, and that is to do their dirty work. You can never become a naturalized citizen. If you don't have a job, you aren't welcome anymore. You will always be second class to them. I think they view us as "the help" like we are the freaking maids or something.

I may be a bit biased, but the US really got it spot on when they started. They said come one come all, make this your home, and in doing so created a sense of ownership and entitlement that is very important. They offered a path to citizenship and the dream of building something that is yours . Dubai on the other hand wants you to come, build a shiny sh!t hole for the local d!ckheads, and GTFO. Do you think a single non-local person here would fight for this place? No way, the locals would be screwed if Iran or someone decided that the UAE was strategically important.

And all this business about being progressive compared to the rest of the middle east really isn't saying much. I mean... look at the rest of the middle east.

The UAE has a very long way to go if it hopes to be on par with the west, and that doesn't mean they have a lot more stuff to buy from the west. They have to develop culturally.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 23, 2009
well I agree but if you go through the slides it shows UAE as MOST friendly!!!!!!! See the slide it shows the opposite in terms of local freinds made etc.......

http://www.forbes.com/2008/12/09/reloca ... peed=30000
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 23, 2009
the reason why UAE scores low... becuase locals are Minority in this country... you don't find them everywhere like expats... thats why 90% of us don't have local friends.

I am born in this country, yet I have only one local friend and this is just because I studied with him in the college... there are no locals at my work place, no locals at the bars/clubs I go to that I would get the chance to have a chat with.. and very few locals at the gym I go to...

basically, the chances of an expat making close friendship with locals is very small... NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE *NOT* FRIENDLY

I disagree with this report... locals are as friendly and welcoming... they have true Arabian spirit and nice people in general...
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Feb 23, 2009
desert surfer wrote:well I agree but if you go through the slides it shows UAE as MOST friendly!!!!!!! See the slide it shows the opposite in terms of local freinds made etc.......

http://www.forbes.com/2008/12/09/reloca ... peed=30000

Canada is No.1, UAE is No.14 for making local friends. 14 is bottom and 1 is top...
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat