What Do You Think ?

Topic locked
what do you think ? Mar 26, 2009
I'm sorry, she needs a support group for what now ?

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... ange%20law

uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 26, 2009
erm did you not read the story? Clearly not! She's calling for a support group for people who knocked down pedfestrians, been jailed for it etc etc

Because quite frankly the law is retarded! If a pedestrian runs out in front of your car and you have no way to avoid them, how on earth is that the drivers fault? It's stupid! It's the pedestrians fault 100% and it's the Governments fault for not providing enough bridges to cross busy highways like Shk Zayed road.

It's about time this ridiculous law was changed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2009
choc dear, you need an anger management course.

changed to what ? how or what do you think it should be ?

what other methods and laws applied in other countries for such accidents that should be applied here ? I'm not familiar with the other ones that's why I'm asking.
uaekid

Mar 26, 2009
Well certainly the driver does not get fined and jailed and blamed for hitting a pedestrian if it's not the drivers fault.

Here the driver is automatically assumed blame and never the pedestrian.

It always terrifies me having to drive past construction workers lined up at the side of the road, because you never know if one of them is going to chance it and run out in front of you. Plus it's very well known that some of them do this on purpose to get the blood money for their families.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2009
I have always maintained that pedestrians have to be held accountable...I even started a thread to debate the subject......its languishing sumwhere on pg2.

Kudos to Sophie Farina!

I dnt kno much about the laws in other countries, but its high tiome drivers are given a lil leeway in such cases!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2009
Their have been suspicions in the past that Labourers have deliberatley got themselves killed in order for the Blood Money donation to the family. Simple caculation Basic Labourer Dhs 800pm Dhs. 200,000 is equal to 20 years salary.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 26, 2009
Well it appears that some are doing away with the suicide leap. They are jumping in front of slow moving vehicles coming out of parking lots.

Story: Driver exiting parking lot, guy comes out between two cars and gets a tap from the driver. Driver, took "victim" to hospital where he called police. "Victim" had no insurance then driver took him to a govt hospital. It appears that "victim" suffered a broken arm from the "accident". Well driver questioned by police as if he had criminal intent. Bottom line is: "Victim" wants 5,000 Dhs. and it will all go away!!

Sideline: Someone questioned if the "victim" may have had the broken arm prior to his "accident" and if the arm was actually broken or if there may have been a slight fracture.

What gets me is that these people who throw themselves in front of vehicles and get hit by an unsuspecting person he or his family end up getting the bucks and the driver ends up with a threat of jail!

I guess it will take someone throwing themself in front of the car of someone who has the power to change the legal perspective on such incidents and start looking at the driver's position in these matters.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 26, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Well it appears that some are doing away with the suicide leap. They are jumping in front of slow moving vehicles coming out of parking lots.

Story: Driver exiting parking lot, guy comes out between two cars and gets a tap from the driver. Driver, took "victim" to hospital where he called police. "Victim" had no insurance then driver took him to a govt hospital. It appears that "victim" suffered a broken arm from the "accident". Well driver questioned by police as if he had criminal intent. Bottom line is: "Victim" wants 5,000 Dhs. and it will all go away!!

Sideline: Someone questioned if the "victim" may have had the broken arm prior to his "accident" and if the arm was actually broken or if there may have been a slight fracture.

What gets me is that these people who throw themselves in front of vehicles and get hit by an unsuspecting person he or his family end up getting the bucks and the driver ends up with a threat of jail!

I guess it will take someone throwing themself in front of the car of someone who has the power to change the legal perspective on such incidents and start looking at the driver's position in these matters.

Thatnks for the heads-up. Now I know what to do with the "victim" as I take him to the "hospital," if I get caught up in this.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 26, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:erm did you not read the story? Clearly not! She's calling for a support group for people who knocked down pedfestrians, been jailed for it etc etc

Because quite frankly the law is retarded! If a pedestrian runs out in front of your car and you have no way to avoid them, how on earth is that the drivers fault? It's stupid! It's the pedestrians fault 100% and it's the Governments fault for not providing enough bridges to cross busy highways like Shk Zayed road.

It's about time this ridiculous law was changed.

I am with you on this one. Besides why are pedestrians even able to cross these roads? Why can't they build proper pedestrian bridges or tunnels. Not those stupid zigzag bridges they build for decoration that are a pain to cross. Just tunnels :straight down a flight of steps- walk- straight up again. Doing that and starting big fines for jaywalkers will make everyone feel safer.
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well certainly the driver does not get fined and jailed and blamed for hitting a pedestrian if it's not the drivers fault.

Here the driver is automatically assumed blame and never the pedestrian.

It always terrifies me having to drive past construction workers lined up at the side of the road, because you never know if one of them is going to chance it and run out in front of you. Plus it's very well known that some of them do this on purpose to get the blood money for their families.

choc ...
You didn't answer my question !!

that's your problem choc, always complains and never have an answer your self. I'm sorry but you deserve the following respond ( get lost )
uaekid

Mar 26, 2009
Well obviously if it's not the drivers fault they should not be charged!

How should I know what it should be changed to? Am I a law enforcement officer?

Go jaywalk in front of a car kid!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2009
Blood Money for jumpin in front of a car and landing and inncocent driver in trouble? If pedestrians are found guilty then, thos Ba$tard$ should recieve lashes! That would be justice UAE style!
That coupled with stringent fines, and a massive awareness campaign, should do the trick!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2009
We had this conversation with a police friend and he told me

if you hit a guy crossing major highways such as Emirates Road, SZR road etc. its considered Suicide attempt and its never the driver fault.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2009
quatroporte wrote:We had this conversation with a police friend and he told me

if you hit a guy crossing major highways such as Emirates Road, SZR road etc. its considered Suicide attempt and its never the driver fault.

But that is not the case, people are still being locked up for this.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 26, 2009
Exactly, it's an ongoing problem and the authorities don't seem to want to change anything.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2009
quatroporte wrote:We had this conversation with a police friend and he told me

Thanks for clearing this up. What you mention what was published a few months ago as a new law that was about to be implemented.

I re-read the letter, and this woman killed the guy TWO years ago on a road BEHIND mall of the emirates, so it wasn't recent and it didn't happen on a high-speed highway.

Either way, who knows how it goes case-by-case nowadays.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 27, 2009
well i have been to malay. and my friend to me if a car hit u while crossing the road it will be my fault not the driver..but i he hit u while crossing from the pedestrian cross, it will be the driver fault..fare and square..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 27, 2009
I have heard several times (also in newspapers) here is another problem here. If there is a road accident and you go to help someone who is injured, if they die while you are trying to help them you can end up paying blood money to relatives. It's crazy, and it just makes you think don't go to help, don't get involved.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat