What Would Be My Equivalent Salary In Dubai

Topic locked
What would be my equivalent salary in Dubai Nov 16, 2008
Hey guys,

I thought it would be a good thing to ask how much I would need to earn in Dubai to match what I earn now. As some of you know I'm planning to work in the real estate field and I currently work in the hospitality industry. As someone suggested before, I might want to consider a job in the hospitality industry for a few months if things are really dead real estate wise. I'll break down what I currently earn and the benefits I receive, and if someone could analyze this information and tell me what I would need to ask for in Dubai to be able to afford the same earnings/standard of living.

I actually am surprised I did not think of asking this before, and for some reason I think you guys will be shocked by the salary/benefits difference in the hospitality industry between here (Montreal, Canada) and Dubai.

-Hourly wage: 19.58$CAD/hour (58.75AED/hour) 40 hours a week/52 weeks per year
-Vacation: 3 paid weeks per year
-retirement program : employer contributes 6% of all earned wages and I pitch in another 6%
-8 fully paid sick days per year
-2 "mobile" days off per year (means i can take them whenever i feel like it with 48 hours notice)
-1 day off for my bday and another one for my employment hire date per year
-medical, dental, short term disability, long term disability, travel, and salary insurances
-8 days for the various holidays (those are standard by law so everyone gets them)

I can also refuse shifts, make my own schedules, I take as many breaks as I want to, leave early when the hotel isn't too busy, employer can not call me in for less than 8 hours, I get ultra cheap hotel rooms in top luxury hotels worldwide (including Dubai!) and 50% off the hotel restaurants.

A 2 bedroom 800sqf appartment in a desirable neighborhood here costs around 750$-800$ per month (2250-2400aed), food prices around here are about the same as in Dubai according to my friend who moved over a year ago, and cars, computers, and entertainment are comparable in terms of pricing.

Keep in mind that I pay about 30% tax on my gross salary (the benefits aren't taxed obviously)

How much do you think I would need to earn in Dubai to be able to live the same lifestyle (if you can put a dollar value on all benefits that would be great as it will make for a more reliable analysis)

Now that I've listed all the benefits I get, I'm starting to realize how good I have it right now.

Sorry for the long post guys, didn't mean to turn this into an essay but I wanted to be thorough.

Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2008
the realty job network is not in a good state with agents getting fired and recently hired staff getting the pink slip. peopel who want to work in this industry will not have a lot of room to negotiate packages in my opinion-- at least in the short term
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 17, 2008
I dont think you get a pension here. Instead you get some form of contract bonus. At least thats what I get.

I cam from the UK a couple of weeks ago, but have been negotiating my deal for a while. Instead of a pension you get a 'contract bonus'. Like a balloon payment for you to invest as you see fit when your employment contract runs out.

I used to get an 8% pension benefit from my employer, plus I would contribute also. Much the same as your situation. Here I get about 40 days worth of pay, for every year. And this is paid when and if I choose to leave.
seardarren
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 17, 2008
I figured the real estate market would be dead, or almost. Well I might try to find an management job in a hotel then, I've seen positions that pay about 10000-12000 a month plus accomodations on hcareers.com. Hope the real estate market comes back to life soon enough, I'm going to dubai to make money, not peanuts!
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat