Wanted: Dubabel Correspondent

Topic locked
Wanted: Dubabel Correspondent May 12, 2009
Dubai fascinates me. I've been trying to read up on Dubai and this forum is a great resource - thanks!

I work for an online travel media company and just posted an article asking for a "DuBabel Correspondent". The idea that Dubai is, in some ways, a new Babel is really interesting to me and I think there's potential for some really thoughtful essays and 1st person narratives on that subject.

Here's an excerpt of my call for a DuBabel correspondent - interested? Know someone who might be?

We wonder if Dubai might be a modern day Babel, a place where ambition outstrips empathy.

The tower of Babel fell because the men who built it were unable to communicate with each other. Does the same communication gap divide the bankers and bricklayers of Dubai?

After all, the official website of the Burj Dubai Tower, the highest in the world, has this for a slogan:

Burj Dubai will be known by many names. But only a privileged group of people will call it home.

We want your voice:

If you are an ex-pat living in Dubai, we want to hear from you. We want your dispatches from the front-lines of the global economy.

You will be our Dubabel correspondent, so we expect a somewhat critical take on things. Your writing should target the gap between the height of excess and the reality of mortal limits.

Finally, it’s OK if you like Dubai, and it’s even better if you love it.

After all, if you didn’t care about the place, you couldn’t write about it well.

Full post is at MatadorAbroad.

Tim Patterson
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 12, 2009
Interesting write-up.

Worth a read or 2.
Cheers.
dresden
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat