Volunteers Needed - Care Packages For Labourers -21August09

Topic locked
Volunteers needed - Care Packages for Labourers -21August09 Aug 20, 2009
Volunteer Day to assemble Care Packages for Labourers is August 21st, we'll be assembling the packages from 10am to 5:00 pm and then going directly to the labour camps to distribute them. Join in whenever suits you. We're hoping to make at least 1000 packages. The Shelter in Al-Quoz has kindly offered its premises for Volunteer Day. Bring your kids, your parents, your friends. Last time was a terrific, community-building, heart-warming experience for all of us.

We will also be doing a Hygiene Workshop at the camps alongwith distributing the packages. Trying to give practical help and some education of a sort to help them improve their living conditions. The don't have mothers/wives/sisters here so will give them some practical advice on how to take better care of themselves and their surroundings.

Each package will contain 3 months worth of toiletries, one month's worth of food items (especially dates, energy drinks and other items to make their iftaars a blessing after a hard day of fasting) and items that labourers themselves have said will really make a huge difference in their quality of life.

Thank you for all your incredible support and generousity creating the first mass batch of Care Packages for Labourers. The final headcount was 834 cartons! Meaning that 834 men got 3 months worth of supplies each to help them through the terribly hot summer months.

Since then, some other labourers heard about our project and got in touch, humbly asking for our help. They gave me a list of items that they felt would make a huge difference to their lives here. Honestly, the labourers' help-list is so simple and basic that it's quite heart-breaking. There are items such as "pillow cover with no lice" and "socks". At this camp, they have to eat their food off aluminium foil and a "plate" was another one of their wishes.

Helping these men by providing them with a pillow-cover "with no lice" is surely the least we can do during Ramadan to bring some dignity into their lives and to show them that there ARE people who care.

Please give zakaat/donations in monetary form or by donating items, such as 100 toothbrushes, or 100 steel plates. Please see if your company can sponsor items such as 1000 toothpastes or 1000 bed-sheets. Procuring at wholesale prices, same as last time, each complete package will cost around 125 Dhs. Every little bit counts. 500 Dhs is enough to make complete Care Packages for 4 men! Deadline for donations is Tuesday, August 18th. If you're bringing supplies, please let me know by Tuesday what you'll be bringing so that I can place the final orders accordingly on Wednesday.

The aim of the Summer Care Packages was to help them through the searing summer months. The aim of the Ramadan Packages is to give them a fresh, clean start...a gift of humanity and dignity.

You can contact Saher anytime via email sahershaikh@gmail.com or mobile 050-7096708.

Together we can make a difference. We've done it before. We can do it again.

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 20, 2009
Well I never :o

DD just went to the top of my list. TOP MAN.

Next time, can you post details of where to send $$ donations from overseas

Thanks.
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 20, 2009
viking-warrior wrote:Well I never :o

Thanks.

Gullible white people. :P

Charity should happen year round.
Razmattaz
Dubai Forum User

Aug 20, 2009
Yeah DD seems like a pretty cool guy who stays away from wanton character assassinations and gives decent view points not obscured with bias views.

Highly commendable acts of generosity and kindness are always heart touching.

God bless mate
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 20, 2009
Community buildng is always a good idea. I'll be honest, neither am I gonna contribute, nor will I make it to this Volunteer day.
But yes it's a fine and noble gesture DD. So do keep us informed, post some pics maybe.

All the best!

Peace!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2009
Why does it take someone like razamatwat to stomp over a compliment ? Yes charity should happen all year round, but it doesn't yet when it does it should be acknowledged without someone like you trying deperately trying to steal the show.

Sod off back to your hole in the sand, lizard. Are you French ?
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 20, 2009
viking-warrior wrote:Why does it take someone like razamatwat to stomp over a compliment ? Yes charity should happen all year round, but it doesn't yet when it does it should be acknowledged without someone like you trying deperately trying to steal the show.

Sod off back to your hole in the sand, lizard. Are you French ?

Listen Mr/Mrs often it's the fairer sex that's so lacking in judgemental capablilty, charity begins at home.
You are not even in the UAE so why bother?
You white women you are so guillible.You come here meet a man who can't even speak decent English fall in love with him primarily out of pity for him, marry him and what does he do? Gets a passport, uses you and when he's done will get rid of you.
So please Toughen Up and don't fall so easily.
Look at you now on some forum you want to part with your hard earned money with absolute strangers. Save the charity for your own kind!

Did I mention I'm Indian? We are not all bad, but you white women have no taste and no judgemental capability. Inevitably you always fall for the wrong men.
Even if your a guy the same rules apply. But generally it is the women folk who excel is such stupidity. They think their blond hair, blue eyes and noble intentions will make this world a better place. Grow up this is a demented world! You all are better off in your homegrounds. Well maybe not even in your homegrounds as your goverments and their immigration policies are full of loopholes where immigrants and refugees are taking full advantage of you people. Learn from us Asians and grow a pair.
I say this is out of respect.
Razmattaz
Dubai Forum User

Aug 20, 2009
^^^ Dude are you for real?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2009
Now this will undoubtably get me flamed but we are all allowed a point of view so here's mine.

We are allways hearing about how hard done by these labourers are and i have no doubt that some guys are treated very shabbily but reading the post reminded me of a conversation i had a few years back with a Pakistani lad i had working for me.

He came to me and asked me for a loan of some cash i asked him why as i knew that he had just been paid he stated that he like many other people regardless of race colour or creed had sent money home to his familly but this guy sent all his money home every month,his familly stated that as he worked in Dubai they had no need to work and he should support them all,he survived every month by borrowing money for food nothing else,no toiletries,personnel hygein products nothing.

In my humble opinion its a mind set that needs to be changed,helping some one out who has fallen on bad times no problem,but how many of these guys have put themselves in this situation,charity is a noble thing,but i cant help but wonder if sometimes handing things out only makes the situation worse in the long run,you can only really help people who are willing to help themseves.

Now before any spouts out the imortal lines "your a privaleged white man"
i am currently living in a shed in the middle of the desert i have infrequent running water and i usually have to do my washing in a sink using bottled water just like my Asian,Phillipeano, and Nigerian neighbours,unlike some of my neighbours i refuse to live in squalor i dont leave piles of trash lying around hoping that a lower class of human will clean it up for me,go to any labour camp and you will see people throwing crap on the road it infuriates me when people allways expect some one else to clean up there rubbish.

Rant over,bring on the hate mail.
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 20, 2009
^^^ To Busa ^^^

No Busa, no hate mail for you.

Just a lil' snippet of wisdom:

[color=darkblue]“If you could actually stand in someone else's shoes, BUSA, to hear what they hear, see what they see, and feel what they feel, you would honestly wonder what planet they live on, and be totally blown away by how different their "reality" is from yours.

You'd also never, in a million years, be quick to judge again.
Just sayin'
The Universe”[/color]

By the way some times in life you don’t need to understand the internal psyche and mentality of people bearing in mind their upbringing and education versus yours. However, if you do see someone living at the poverty line and something like a cross package of food and sundries would mean the world to them, then I think its justifiable to give it as it brings a smile and gratitude from the under-privileged taker and there is a joy in giving by the giver.
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 20, 2009
Sorry kidda but i have to dissagree its a mind set
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 20, 2009
Razmataz...now we know that you are an Indian, and you mentioned it here for the first time. Certainly, all Indians are not bad; I know some very good Indians. However, from the nonsense that you have posted above, i would consider you as a rotten egg!
Wanna meet another rotten egg? Meet Busa, the dyslexic...
zonker
BANNED

Aug 20, 2009
I'm just forwarding the message and to be really honest really can't say for sure wheter I will be attending or not.

Busa actually hit the nail on the head with the mindset bit. There are many when you ask them so what do you do and the reply is my brother is in UK, Dubai, Kuwait or whatever.

And these are the people who make totally usless demands on their family members every month. I know many such people. Every month or two they will recieve a request send X amount of extra money this month. Why ? Oh there is some land going cheap, or we need to attend someones wedding and need to buy new clothes and gifts.

Without ever giving a single thought how hard this person is toiling here, or riddled with debt, just to make ends meets here and to fullfill their ridiculas demands.

But ofcourse not all are like this I've also know indian workers doing some real hard core manual labaour ( Loading and unloading big heavy gas cylinders all day long in the sun )who get paid 800 dhs and send about 600 to 700 dhs home. When asked why do you do such hard work and live a miserable life here away from family and friends.

Reply : Well atleast when I am here, I take comfort in the fact the my family will have a roof over their head and food on the table. But if i was back home I could not gaurantee that. So I only keep what I need for food etc and send the most I can back home.

I could go on forever about such real life stories but lets not put everyone in bracket.
desertdudeshj

Aug 20, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:But ofcourse not all are like this I've also know indian workers doing some real hard core manual labaour ( Loading and unloading big heavy gas cylinders all day long in the sun )who get paid 800 dhs and send about 600 to 700 dhs home. When asked why do you do such hard work and live a miserable life here away from family and friends.

Reply : Well atleast when I am here, I take comfort in the fact the my family will have a roof over their head and food on the table. But if i was back home I could not gaurantee that. So I only keep what I need for food etc and send the most I can back home.

I could go on forever about such real life stories but lets not put everyone in bracket.

I could admire such kind of self-denial if the money went for education of a single child for its better life in the future. However this money goes for feeding 12 or more kids who will retranslate poverty further. In this case 500-600 dirhams are enough only for a daily plate of rice for them.

I did and will help with pleasure some orphans, for example, the kids who can't support themseves but adult healthy men...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 20, 2009
RC not trying to doubt your intentions or anything. But what would you do. If could only choose/afford only one, either feed your child or send to school ?

Schooling and education is a diffrent ball game toghter. And it should and is the responsiblity of each countries goverment.

But the fact remains they have 12 kids and would rather see tham fed rather than die starving but educated.

You are going into over population and education, the crux of the third world. And donating money is not the solution there.

The whole aim of this operation is not to handle global crisis and problems but just to give some kind of resemblance even though if temporary of a decent live and relief to the unfortunate in the country we are currently living in.

Nobodys forcing anyone to do anything. If your up to the task go ahead and do it but if not nobodys is going to question your integerity here. But just making excuses or questioning the effort is not really called for.
desertdudeshj

Aug 20, 2009
Its actually a shame. The plight of the labourers has come up here in endless threads and everybody has very strong opinions about it then, but when it actually comes to backing your words with actions, this comes up.

Sad really.
desertdudeshj

Aug 20, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Community buildng is always a good idea. I'll be honest, neither am I gonna contribute, nor will I make it to this Volunteer day.
But yes it's a fine and noble gesture DD. So do keep us informed, post some pics maybe.

All the best!

Peace!

Much appriciated. And thanks for your honesty and not posting some lame excuse why your higher morality won't let you be a part of this.
desertdudeshj

Aug 20, 2009
Razmattaz wrote:

Thanks.

Well seeing this side of you its no wonder why you can't get a date!!! Maybe its your stinking attitude and not your dwarfness that's stopping you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 20, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Razmattaz wrote:

Thanks.

Well seeing this side of you its no wonder why you can't get a date!!! Maybe its your stinking attitude and not your dwarfness that's stopping you.

Why are you so defensive? It is a fact
Razmattaz
Dubai Forum User

Aug 20, 2009
See I have only expressed my point of vew. If you want to you can disagree. I just had a feeling and so I said it.
Razmattaz
Dubai Forum User

Aug 21, 2009
Razmattaz wrote:See I have only expressed my point of vew. If you want to you can disagree. I just had a feeling and so I said it.

You're a sad man. 'Charity begins at home' is a saying used by cynics and tightwads. And ignoring Bangaldeshi famine relief appeals, Chinese/N.Pakistan earthquake appeals, etc. cannot be justified by saying it's not your problem. Although you sounds like the type of xenophobic Indian that probably hates Pakistanis....

The world has to be looked at holistically if we are going to survive. Let world governments attack the roots of the problems, meantime take your fingers out of your butt and pick up a chequebook to help just a little. There is nothing GULLIBLE in compassion, even if some of it is sometimes misdirected. It's simply humanity.

Also, why not give to charity at home AND abroad, did you consider that? Who said you need to choose? That's enough words spent on you.

Desertdude, somehow it seems more personal to read such appeals here and written in a first person style by the writer than seeing them in a newpaper, where to be honest it's more easy just to turn the page. If the guy has any more projects let us know, and give a bit of a time lead. Cheers.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 21, 2009
busa wrote:Sorry kidda but i have to dissagree its a mind set

No hate mail from me either, in fact desertdude has said similar things to you, about the behaviour of some (many? most?) labourers when in camps, and the way they quickly trash a brand new camp. He has seen it. Maybe you have too. You can imagine that many of them must damn well know better, they must have mothers, aunties, even wives at home who have shown them how to behave to a least some decent standard, but they behave like this when no-one is watching.

BUT, by creating this thread desertdude is looking beyond this and trying to help them to help themselves.

If you had a slow learning son or daughter would you just shut them in the attic and forget them, or would you keep on and on trying to help them?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 21, 2009
Well, speEDHump, you dumped on, sorry, judged 2 DF members, but how about the theme of the topic? :wink:

Are you going to help as a volunteer? I guess your RR will look very exotic in any labour camp and you will attract a large audience if it isn't in the workshop of cause. 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 21, 2009
So you approve of the comments by this razzmataz? My comments were very on topic as you well know.

Stop it you are embarrassing yourself. You really try to make all my posts sound like attacks.

Your last post was completely devoid of any sensible comment on this matter. Shameful really.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 21, 2009
Stop thumbsucking and cackling. What is your point on the OP?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 21, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
Razmattaz wrote:See I have only expressed my point of vew. If you want to you can disagree. I just had a feeling and so I said it.

You're a sad man. 'Charity begins at home' is a saying used by cynics and tightwads. And ignoring Bangaldeshi famine relief appeals, Chinese/N.Pakistan earthquake appeals, etc. cannot be justified by saying it's not your problem. Although you sounds like the type of xenophobic Indian that probably hates Pakistanis....

The world has to be looked at holistically if we are going to survive. Let world governments attack the roots of the problems, meantime take your fingers out of your butt and pick up a chequebook to help just a little. There is nothing GULLIBLE in compassion, even if some of it is sometimes misdirected. It's simply humanity.

Also, why not give to charity at home AND abroad, did you consider that? Who said you need to choose? That's enough words spent on you.

Desertdude, somehow it seems more personal to read such appeals here and written in a first person style by the writer than seeing them in a newpaper, where to be honest it's more easy just to turn the page. If the guy has any more projects let us know, and give a bit of a time lead. Cheers.

That is funny. Do you really think anyone cares for your charity? In Asia
(India, Pak, Bangla, SL) the average Asian has a mindset about you whites. The governments are not much better either. These people even with education may never change. And that is a fact.
Everything you say makes sense, but it's not realistic. Why should someone sitting in the States donate to charities here. You think people here cannot afford to do so. The truth is no matter how much charity you give it can never be enough, this world is a complex place where politics toys with the lives of people. But you can make a difference in your home countries it's not like you people are living in paradise.
Razmattaz
Dubai Forum User

Aug 21, 2009
Razmattaz wrote:
Speedhump wrote:

That is funny. Do you really think anyone cares for your charity? In Asia
(India, Pak, Bangla, SL) the average Asian has a mindset about you whites. The governments are not much better either. These people even with education may never change. And that is a fact.
Everything you say makes sense, but it's not realistic. Why should someone sitting in the States donate to charities here. You think people here cannot afford to do so. The truth is no matter how much charity you give it can never be enough, this world is a complex place where politics toys with the lives of people. But you can make a difference in your home countries it's not like you people are living in paradise.

Your view is skewed. You should not care what they think of you, the point is not to get their thanks. If you were of Christian religion or background that would be very obvious to you. Also, again, what does it matter if you can't give enough to eradicate the problems. As I said, that's for world powers to tackle on an entirely greater level. Your aid packages meantime go some way to alleviating suffering. Do you mean you are happy just to let the underdeveloped world die or wallow in filth? I can't understand you. The same applies to helping the labourers here in some smaller way.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 21, 2009
Oh, boy. What have you, Migister Bibendi, done for all you pathetic life to lecture other people?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 21, 2009
You hate being ignored don't you. What a little child.

What I do to help people is my own business thanks. Look to your own grey and tattered conscience, not mine.

That's my last word to you in this thread.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 21, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Your view is skewed. You should not care what they think of you, the point is not to get their thanks. If you were of Christian religion or background that would be very obvious to you. Also, again, what does it matter if you can't give enough to eradicate the problems. As I said, that's for world powers to tackle on an entirely greater level. Your aid packages meantime go some way to alleviating suffering. Do you mean you are happy just to let the underdeveloped world die or wallow in filth? I can't understand you. The same applies to helping the labourers here in some smaller way.

Religion has nothing to do with this. This is about culture which an outsider will never understand. It is sad to see poverty so rampant. Why does it exist? Are there no wealthy Indians, Pakistani's etc? Why the inequality?
I am unbiased. I just feel that the very giving ways of the west are being exploited by Asians and others.
Everyone loves to go to democratic America, work, make money,sleep with white women etc Yet they come back home, they side with fundamentalists, favour protectionism etc. You get what I'm saying
How else can you explain Indian's in England booing the English cricket team at the 20-20 world cup? Pakistani's booing UK troops upon arrival in Britain? White women in Indian movies are always bikini clad and potrayed as loose in morals. China has successfully copied Hong Kong's model all over the mainland, but not in a thousand years will China acknowledge Britains administration.
By all means go help labourers in camps. That is a micro perspective I was looking at the bigger picture. Unfortunately we are just small fry who cannot influence the bigger picture.
Razmattaz
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat