Volunteers Needed - Care Packages For Labourers -21August09

Topic locked
Aug 21, 2009
:shock:

a small difference meantime is better than nothing ever. Hopeully 'bigger picture' sorts something out. I fully support the small help that can be given for the less fortunate until that happens.

Richardson
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 21, 2009
Hey Razz, you know I do see logic in your perspective. It's faulty because you generalise. All Indians is not like that, neither are all Westerners noble in intentions. Yea there are those frogs in a well, who have not seen the world and believe in cultural superiority and such cr@p.
But many also embrace globalisation, and diverse cultures. And such beauty will not be found amongst the political class and the elite, but on the streets with the average Joe.
My take on it is that Asians are by and large vey subserviant. They prefer to live life by a manual and very few will actually question it.
And only through globalisation, through such acts where foreigners come and help these laborer's will such stereotypes be demolished.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 22, 2009
Razmattaz wrote:
Speedhump wrote:Your view is skewed. You should not care what they think of you, the point is not to get their thanks. If you were of Christian religion or background that would be very obvious to you. Also, again, what does it matter if you can't give enough to eradicate the problems. As I said, that's for world powers to tackle on an entirely greater level. Your aid packages meantime go some way to alleviating suffering. Do you mean you are happy just to let the underdeveloped world die or wallow in filth? I can't understand you. The same applies to helping the labourers here in some smaller way.

Religion has nothing to do with this. This is about culture which an outsider will never understand. It is sad to see poverty so rampant. Why does it exist? Are there no wealthy Indians, Pakistani's etc? Why the inequality?
I am unbiased. I just feel that the very giving ways of the west are being exploited by Asians and others.
Everyone loves to go to democratic America, work, make money,sleep with white women etc Yet they come back home, they side with fundamentalists, favour protectionism etc. You get what I'm saying
How else can you explain Indian's in England booing the English cricket team at the 20-20 world cup? Pakistani's booing UK troops upon arrival in Britain? White women in Indian movies are always bikini clad and potrayed as loose in morals. China has successfully copied Hong Kong's model all over the mainland, but not in a thousand years will China acknowledge Britains administration.
By all means go help labourers in camps. That is a micro perspective I was looking at the bigger picture. Unfortunately we are just small fry who cannot influence the bigger picture.

You are now explaining what you mean and I follow you. But I also agree with MCL that your perspective is quite a heavy generalisation. There are many racist and selfish westerners too. But mostly they are ashamed to make much noise about it in public. When a lot of people get together then of course group mentality takes over and behaviour can alter, with the strongest minded leading the way. Same anywhere.

Whether Oriental or Westerner, it's the ones that make the most noise that get the world's attention, even if they are a minority (say the Muslims booing troops in the UK, as you mentioned). I prefer to think well of people until proven wrong.

Also I can' t blame people for gravitating to where the money is (and free handouts are too), Indians or any other nationalities going to the US or UK are following a sensible route. It's up to Governments to curb immigration if there is a problem, individuals will do what is best for them and their familiy.

Anyway, I appreciate that you have a certain view of Asian versus Western attitudes and mindsets. Mine just differs, and I know many Indians and quite a few Pakistanis through my work (admittedly they are professional people, not unskilled workers) so what to do, we disagree!

;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 22, 2009
When power rests in the hands of highly corrupt people, such as it has been in Pakistan ever since its birth, then what happens is the government abdicates its responsibilities in many spheres, such as education. This is what has happened in Pakistan, the result is what you see in the labour camps in Dubai; a bunch of confused and poverty stricken people, with strange religious ideals. Poverty breeds more poor people, and so the story goes on.
Perhaps a good way of helping them would be to teach them about caring for themselves, such as personal hygeine, which they might pass on to the rest of the family.
zonker
BANNED

Aug 22, 2009
This thread has gone to the dogs as with almost all over here and turned into petty bickering. Some people really can't help them selves from being turds.

Mods please delete or lock this. It was meant to spread awareness for a cause but now no one is benefiting out of this.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 22, 2009
Razzmattaz view was rather unique. I just read this thread all over :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 22, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:This thread has gone to the dogs as with almost all over here and turned into petty bickering. Some people really can't help them selves from being turds.

Mods please delete or lock this. It was meant to spread awareness for a cause but now no one is benefiting out of this.

Really sorry if I contributed to the mess. I was just p*ssed at the selfish attitudes being shown by some. Your post of course spread awareness of this nice cause, don't think it hasn't.

I didn't help on Friday as this is the last weekend before my family goes back to UK for a month (bloody summer batchelor in two days' time, pain in the arse), also wedding anniversary, so we are pretty busy all told. I would have loved to give money to buy packages though. If you give more than a day's notice for any other causes it would be great.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat