Verbal Judo By Dr.George Thomson

Topic locked
Verbal Judo by Dr.George Thomson Dec 02, 2010
Verbal Judo - Defined as TACTICAL LANGUAGE designed to fulfill your purpose, whoever gets emotionally affected by words is bound to do something idiotic.

Applications - Hostility Diffusion

1. Negotiations (Business & Informal)
2. Relationships (preventing your wife from killing you in your sleep)

<- Hour long video from Columbia Business School (Lecture for MBA GRADS , Hour long vid - Wish i knew this when i was primary school)

Basically the method of verbal judo is -

Acknowledgement of What is being said (empathy reduces intensity of the emotion) - Then quickly turning it around to get back on track. The major principle is to stay "centered" and not loose your cool under any circumstance. There are some points there about choice limiting and providing a double blind option

Quote from Dr Thomson - "I disagree to the cliche - Sticks and Stones may break my bones but you words will never hurt me , Rather i'd say - Words wound and fester longer than the wound afflicted by any weapon known to man"

Why is it posted in general chat and not the book section - Because im drawing attention to the video which has a gist of whatever he says.

Maybe this might help some of you in your daily life , with your relationships , and help in diffusing tension when confronted with unreasonable people.

Tell me what you all think of this :)

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Verbal Judo By Dr.George Thomson Dec 02, 2010
Was too boring to read, as most of us a black belts in V.Judo anyways :D
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Verbal Judo by Dr.George Thomson Dec 02, 2010
zubber wrote:Tell me what you all think of this :)

It is certainly helpfull in business like situation. In personal life, with SO and friends, I wouldn't want to hide emotions. If you need to play these techniques in a relationship or think this might be helpfull in one, something is definitely wrong.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Verbal Judo by Dr.George Thomson Dec 02, 2010
well even with friends , eventually words will lead to spat every now and then, Loosing calm when being angry or taking something personally will definitely make someone of the offensive, be it your buddy from way back when , and in relationships obviously words cause a lot of trouble.

Dr Thomson , highlights in this video a practice which is usually done by cops when dealing with difficult situations, hostage negotiation and the like , but those can definitely be applied in all situations.

Its a practice, a behavioral modification , although I am guilty of violating the "centering principles" as stated i the vid , every now and then.

Maybe all the heated posts which I have read here the chit chat forum maybe provoked me to draw attention to the need of understanding the content of this vid.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat