UAE Airports To Start Charging Passengers For Security

Topic locked
UAE airports to start charging passengers for security Jul 18, 2011
Ok, to me there is something very wrong with this picture. Should airport security not come as standard? Why can't the just be honest and say it's another way of taxing people.

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/u ... 9-1.839448

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: UAE Airports To Start Charging Passengers For Security Jul 18, 2011
it is a tax then

if they are going to use it to actually up the standards of airport security since the whole world is being targeted by terrorisim, then i'm with it
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

so security became a service! yukky..
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

non sence really, I mean airports in UAE makes enough profits form airports traffic as the claim !! but what do they mean by ""This is a service fee, which is related to safety and security of passengers and travelling public out of UAE airports." ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Does one can get an option not to pay and not be provided security. I think I'll take my chances :D
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: UAE airports to start charging passengers for security Jul 18, 2011
I don't mind paying an extra 5dhs towards airport security. What's 5dhs in the grand scheme of things?
Bethsmum

it is a concept BM, it isn't about who can pay the 5 dhs and who can't...
if someone stole 1 Dhs, is he a thief or is it just 1 Dhs! just an example..
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

desertdudeshj wrote:Does one can get an option not to pay and not be provided security. I think I'll take my chances :D

No, you don't have a choice not to pay it as the airlines will automatically add it to the price of your ticket when you purchase it.

Security standards shouldn't need to be 'upped', they should be of a good quality anyway.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mahmoud04 wrote:it is a concept BM, it isn't about who can pay the 5 dhs and who can't...
if someone stole 1 Dhs, is he a thief or is it just 1 Dhs! just an example..

Who couldn't pay 5dhs?
Taxing is legal theft anyway. I rob people everyday.
Bethsmum

However, I do find Dubai airport security especially lax - they're more interested in yapping to one another, or playing with mobiles than watching the x-ray machine screens.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:However, I do find Dubai airport security especially lax - they're more interested in yapping to one another, or playing with mobiles than watching the x-ray machine screens.

Thats what I thought. Until one time I tapped an airport security guy on the shoulder as he appeared to be dozing off. He immediately recalled the exact coins I had in my wallet. Good man!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I kinda hafta agree with Chocs here. When I left Dubai last week, not one person was looking at the screen, and there was actually a great deal of giggling and flirting going on amongst the security personnel. Fortunately, I had about 30 kg of excess hand luggage and was glad no one noticed.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:I kinda hafta agree with Chocs here. When I left Dubai last week, not one person was looking at the screen, and there was actually a great deal of giggling and flirting going on amongst the security personnel. Fortunately, I had about 30 kg of excess hand luggage and was glad no one noticed.

Hahaha excellent - not exactly easy to sneak through.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: UAE airports to start charging passengers for security Jul 19, 2011
dubaidog wrote:I kinda hafta agree with Chocs here. When I left Dubai last week, not one person was looking at the screen, and there was actually a great deal of giggling and flirting going on amongst the security personnel. Fortunately, I had about 30 kg of excess hand luggage and was glad no one noticed.

It is not the job of airport security to monitor the amount of hand luggage you take on board. That is the job of the check-in staff. They are not security but merely ask the question of whether you have left your luggage unattended etc.
I believe the hand luggage allowance for Emirates is 7kg. How did you manage to sneak 30kg on? And how did you manage to get that in the over head lockers?
I bet you were popular with your fellow travellers!

Hahaha excellent - not exactly easy to sneak through.

The kind of response one would expect from the brain dead. Not easy and virtually impossible to get more on board than you are allowed to check in as luggage.
Bethsmum

Oh really BM - then how come I managed to take a 14+ kg backpack in the cabin with me? It depends if you have check-in luggage or not and how much that weighs! There are ways and means of playing the 'weight' game with airlines.

Plus please introduce yourself to the notion of sarcasm!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Oh really BM - then how come I managed to take a 14+ kg backpack in the cabin with me? It depends if you have check-in luggage or not and how much that weighs! There are ways and means of playing the 'weight' game with airlines.

Plus please introduce yourself to the notion of sarcasm!

Firstly you are trying to tell me that it is possible to take 30kg of hand luggage on board and then you are saying DD's post was satire.

Make your mind up Chocs.
Bethsmum

People with overweight hand luggage, so friggin annoying. Not as annoying as mechanical plane failures, but still.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

How very annoying it is, when travelling in economy, that you get to your seat only to find everybody and his aunty has packed all their hand luggage above your seat leaving no room for anything you may be carrying.
The worst is when those Asians decide to bring/take those cheap gawdy looking bedspreads in plastic bags and proceed to stuff them into small spaces. The are oblivious to the comfort of any other passengers.
They seem to like flying Qatar Airways for some reason.
I haven't flown with them again since I sat across the aisle from a rather large Pakistani gentleman who got out of his seat to pick something up from the floor.
I swear I felt the heat off his backside on my left cheek.
Bethsmum

Flying Dutchman wrote:People with overweight hand luggage, so friggin annoying. Not as annoying as mechanical plane failures, but still.

Oh with those big cases yes. But we had no check-in luggage and backbacks squish down, they'd not solid taking up space, so they allowed it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Oh with those big cases yes. But we had no check-in luggage and backbacks squish down, they'd not solid taking up space, so they allowed it.

How does a backpack containing 14kgs of luggage not take up any space?
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Oh with those big cases yes. But we had no check-in luggage and backbacks squish down, they'd not solid taking up space, so they allowed it.

I didn't say they didn't take up space, but they certainly don't take up as much space as a solid suitcase that you see many people taking on as hand luggage! Clearly you've never done any back packing. And as I said, we didn't have any check-in luggage so in those cases, yes you are allowed extra for hand luggage - so long as it still fits in the overhead locker it's fine. Now stop moaning!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Which airline gives you more cabin luggage when you dont have check in luggage?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: UAE airports to start charging passengers for security Jul 20, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

I didn't say they didn't take up space, but they certainly don't take up as much space as a solid suitcase that you see many people taking on as hand luggage! Clearly you've never done any back packing. And as I said, we didn't have any check-in luggage so in those cases, yes you are allowed extra for hand luggage - so long as it still fits in the overhead locker it's fine. Now stop moaning!

keep your wig on, I was only asking. You are right, I certainly haven't done any back packing. I'm fortunate to be able to afford to stay in hotels.

-- Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:14 am --

Flying Dutchman wrote:Which airline gives you more cabin luggage when you dont have check in luggage?

Fantasy Airlines.
Bethsmum

Flying Dutchman wrote:Which airline gives you more cabin luggage when you dont have check in luggage?

This was Emirates. Mind you I was flying on a staff ticket and knew the check-in staff as well - might have had something to do with it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Oh really BM - then how come I managed to take a 14+ kg backpack in the cabin with me? It depends if you have check-in luggage or not and how much that weighs! There are ways and means of playing the 'weight' game with airlines.

So you are now telling us that you have to be on staff travel to get these concessions for hand luggage?

Do make your mind up Chocs!

This was Emirates. Mind you I was flying on a staff ticket and knew the check-in staff as well - might have had something to do with it!

How lucky you are to be able to fly Emirates for free! And you know so many people! I'm well impressed :D
Oh I forgot! You once said you were 'The Voice of Emirates'. I wonder if they realise how lucky they are?
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat