Tony Hart Dies Aged 83

Topic locked
Tony Hart dies aged 83 Jan 19, 2009
OMG - I can't believe it! The man was an institution!

-----------

TRIBUTES poured in last night to inspirational TV artist Tony Hart, who died yesterday aged 83.

Tony became famous for encouraging children to have a go through shows such as Vision On, Hart Beat and Take Hart.

And he made it fun by using items such as dried leaves and pasta as well as traditional materials.

TV presenter and artist Rolf Harris said: �He was a very gentle and talented guy.

"He brought huge creativity to his programmes, particularly using unexpected sources and materials. He enthused and inspired kids into creating their own works of art, simple or complex.�

BBC Children’s Controller Richard Deverell said: �His dedication to making art look simple and his ability to help bring it to life has influenced generations.�

Fans spelled out their thoughts on websites like Facebook. Gina Jackson said: �You made my (and many others’) childhoods a happy one.�

Tony was on screen for 50 years until he suffered strokes in 2001.

Born in Maidstone, Kent, he went to school in Dorset before serving as an officer with the 1st Gurkha Rifles. He went on to donate many pictures to be auctioned for The Gurkha Welfare Trust.

He left the Army to try to make it as an artist, painting murals on restaurant walls in return for meals.

He broke into TV after meeting a producer at a party in 1952. He received �100 for designing the original sailing ship logo for Blue Peter and worked on Saturday Special, Playbox and Titch and Quackers. He then fronted Vision On, which catered for deaf children.

In 1977 he began the long-running Take Hart. Youngsters would send in their own pictures to be displayed in �The Gallery� — with up to 8,000 flooding in each week.

Tony was joined on screen by Plasticine character Morph, created by the team which went on to make Wallace and Gromit.

Tony, who lived near Guildford, Surrey, won two BAFTAs, including a lifetime achievement award in 1998. But he was no longer able to draw after ill health cost him the use of his hands.

He said last year it was �the greatest cross I have to bear�. The father of one, whose wife Jean died in 2003, had recently been taken to hospital with a chest infection as his health worsened.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
How sad.

One of my early influences and possibly someone I owe my creative career to.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat