I Thought My Head Was Going To Explode

Topic locked
I thought my head was going to explode Dec 28, 2010
Anyway, last I posted here was a few weeks back when I was about to get on a plane. I had a cold at the time and when we landed in London I thought my head was going to explode. The pain was excrutiating and I was in tears.

Never again will I fly with a cold - eve if I "have" to go.

I was literaly dragged back into the plane as London was just a stop over...

Anyone had similar experience?

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: I thought my head was going to explode Dec 28, 2010
It's extremely painful, because the cavity spaces within the skull can't equalise the pressure. Best to avoid flying if your sinuses are blocked and you have a very bad cold.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: I thought my head was going to explode Dec 28, 2010
I know the feeling!...

I had to do it a couple of times (no choice), but on the second trip, I took along an anti-histamine and a nasal decongestant, so it wasn't so severe!!! And I had no booze on the plane either!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: I Thought My Head Was Going To Explode Dec 28, 2010
I've done it once and swore never again. I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: I Thought My Head Was Going To Explode Dec 29, 2010
I think you really need to take something like Zyrtec D or Duact or something that will help drain the sinuses. I've experienced this once before too and it was horrible. Felt like someone was stabbing me in the ear with a dagger.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: I thought my head was going to explode Dec 29, 2010
Commercial aircraft are pressurized to the equivalent of 6000 feet. Blocked eustatian tubes, the canal between the ear and nasal cavity, or blocked/infected sinuses can build up pressure causing the headache.

We are not allowed to skydive with any sign of a head cold as the pressure drop at 14,000 feet can actually burst ear drums. I did it once when I thought the cold had gone away and didn't suffer on the ride up to altitude but it hurt like hell on the way down as the speed of altitude change is much, much faster.

Unfortunately, the pressure then forced everything out of my nose at about 8000 feet! Its called a 'snot malfunction' as the world turns green and your goggles get splattered! Not pretty!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Hahahaha TMI DK!

You can get special ear plugs that fighter pilots use, which equalize the pressure more slowly, reducing the pain. Not sure where you'd find them though.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I do know all the technical/medical reasons for the condition and knew it before the flight...was just sharing my mysery!
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:I do know all the technical/medical reasons for the condition and knew it before the flight...was just sharing my mysery!

In that case you've only got yourself to blame and shouldn't expect any sympathy.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:
Ambassador wrote:I do know all the technical/medical reasons for the condition and knew it before the flight...was just sharing my mysery!

In that case you've only got yourself to blame and shouldn't expect any sympathy.

and why not?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

That's OK Ambassador, I feel for you. It's certainly better than bigging yourself up all the time. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:That's OK Ambassador, I feel for you. It's certainly better than bigging yourself up all the time. :lol:

:lol: :P
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

I want to marry a fighter pilot who has the same problems Ambassador and have experienced this also.
A bit a nasal spray and some sudafed usually does the trick.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: I Thought My Head Was Going To Explode Dec 30, 2010
benwj wrote:I want to marry a fighter pilot who has the same problems Ambassador and have experienced this also.
A bit a nasal spray and some sudafed usually does the trick.

any translators in the house :?:
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: I thought my head was going to explode Dec 30, 2010
Exploding head syndrome is a condition that causes the sufferer occasionally to experience a tremendously loud noise as originating from within his or her own head, usually described as the sound of an explosion, roar, gunshot, loud voices or screams, a ringing noise, or the sound of electrical arcing (buzzing).
This noise usually occurs within an hour or two of falling asleep, but is not necessarily the result of a dream and can happen while awake as well.[1] While the sound is perceived as extremely loud, it is usually not accompanied by pain. Attacks appear to change in number over time, with several attacks occurring in a space of days or weeks followed by months of remission. Sufferers often feel a sense of fear and anxiety after an attack, accompanied by elevated heart rate. Attacks are also often accompanied by perceived flashes of light (when perceived on their own, known as a "visual sleep start") or difficulty in breathing. The condition is also known as "auditory sleep starts". It is not thought to be dangerous,[1] although it is sometimes distressing to experience. Sufferers may experience an inability to vocalize any sound, or mild forms of sleep paralysis during an attack.
Reference to the condition was made in an episode of the ITV drama Doc Martin, which was instrumental in many sufferers becoming aware that the problem was in fact a known medical condition, and not one to be concerned about.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat