The Sharjah Saga

Topic locked
The Sharjah Saga Jan 18, 2011
Well I just realised a few days back my driving license had expired and really wasn't in any mood to drive down to Sharjah to get it done. Called RTA three times on three different occasions just to tripple check on everything. Said it wasn't a problem to be renewed in Dubai, even with a Sharjah residency, just need an eye test for a 100dhs the usual photocopies and pictures and a 110 dhs processing fee.

So all happy with everything in tow reached Al Barsha Police Station, one of the three stations doing out of dubai renewals. Walked up to the line. One photo, check. Passport photocopy, check. Drivers license, check. Emirates ID, chec......what ! Excuse me, emirates ID, Yes. Uh well I ain't got one. Sorry mate you need to have one. Look bro, I called RTA three times to make sure if anything else was needed and there was no mention of any emirates ID. Can't you do it without it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry man look I need to fill in the Emirates ID number until then I can't print the application. Shows me the computer screem.

:? But it takes forever to get one, so what do I do now. Errr a few head scracthing moments later from both of us, then I regret fully ask him. Would it still be possible in Sharjah, yes it should be possible there.

:roll: Resigned to fate. Chug along down to Sharjah and on the way I rememberd. Crap I've got only 600 bucks on me and the ATM card is with the Mrs. Hmm 110 dhs in Dubai so really can't be that much in Sharjah aswell.

Reached the only Traffic dept located next to the central jail which does this. Jumping through various hoops , eyetests and waiting in queues for hours. FInally I get my turn at the final counter. Salam, salam. Hand him over the papers. He starts typing away. You have a fine on your license, how much is it ? 300 dhs. Then I remember the a merc quitely snuck up behind and stuck his bumper to mine at a car wash in Abu Dhabi.

I had to move back just a little to move from the wash bay to the vaccum bay. The car was so tiny I didn't see him in any of my mirrors. So I just reversed an inch, faint crack I stop. All I see in the mirror is a door opening. Ah crap anyways long story short I get a fine.

Back at Sharjah Police I tell him, ok fine no worries. I pay up. That will be 540dhs ! I say you mean for everything including the fine. No, no, no, the 300 dhs is seperate. 540 dhs is just renewal fees. WTF, I told him to check my papers carefully. It clearly says light vehicle and not commercial jet pilot.

No bro its 540 dhs then it dawned on me, I'm short on cash. I asked if they except plastic, no strictly cash. Sigh, I could already see another trip to Sharjah in my future comming up. Looked at the watched, its exactly 12.00, asked him what time you guys close, 1 pm.

Ok would it work if I ran back quickly and got the cash, could I come back straight to you. Uh no, you'll have perform through all the hoops for us all over again. I put on my sad little doggy in the window face. Ya Saedi ( Sir ) I drove down from Jebel Ali and I really need to get this done today. He looks at me, then asks his officer a big man in a green uniform with a lot of wildlife and plants in gold pinned to his lapels. Hmm..ok, but make it fast.

I shoot out of the office as I remember there is an ATM machine at the entrance, just when I reach it. Shyte, I don't have the ATM card. ARGH ! Quick, where can I get 300 bucks from. I scroll through my contacts. Ah yes one of my offroading buddies has his office in Sharjah.

Please pick up, please pick up...YES, dude no time to explain, you got 300 bucks I can borrow. When do you need it. NOW..uh ok I guess, but I can't leave the office you'll have to come pick it up. Damn office is on the other end of Sharjah ! No choice, ok I'll be there as soon as I can.

Then I got every red light on every signal in Sharjah and traffic is also starting to build up. Back at the Police Station. 300 dhs in debt. Cut through all lines and skip over everyone. Just in time before end of day I hit the guy again sweaty and out of breath.

He smiles ah so you got the money, ok here you go. hands me more papers ! Go to that counter. OK, so I head over and there is a commotion an old senoir lebanese gentle men is cursing his heart out to one of the grey uniformed police officers. You are the devil, you have no consideration or conscience, I am a sick old man and you can't process a simple request. I am standing like a donkey since morning here. YOU WILL ALL GO TO HELL :shock:

I tip toe around the old man and proceed to my counter next to his. Hand over the papers. He looks at them, ok go sit. Then he fiddles with his keyboard for a while. Puts his face up to the screen. Taps the shoulder of the guy who was sitting next to him, who just received the mother load of abuse from the old man. Look at my screen its frozen. I feel my heart sink !

Then he fiddles around with a bit more, still same look of biwilderment. Reboots the PC a few times still nothing. At this point I'm on my hands and knees praying please lord please. Then he taps his mate again. Hey look at this. His mates goes, AH ! slides his seat over. Types a little and goes see its all good and goes back. All this takes around 30 mins.

Then he starts typing away. I see him pull my picture form my pile and place it in the scanner. And 15 more minutes pass and the police station is almost empty by now and all the electronic boards are off. Finally he calls my name, I go pick it up and WTF, date of birth is printed wrong, but everythign else is right at this time I couldn't give a crap and walk out fo the station at around 2.00 pm. SIGH !

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: The Sharjah Saga Jan 18, 2011
What a day!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

desertdudeshj wrote:You are the devil, you have no consideration or conscience, I am a sick old man and you can't process a simple request. I am standing like a donkey since morning here. YOU WILL ALL GO TO HELL :shock:

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Took you longer to type the post than it takes Westeners to get a license - without a test!
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:Took you longer to type the post than it takes Westeners to get a license - without a test!

I took a test, it was a joke compared with the Driving Test in UK, so what is the point?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
Ambassador wrote:Took you longer to type the post than it takes Westeners to get a license - without a test!

I took a test, it was a joke compared with the Driving Test in UK, so what is the point?

Good for you, Marty...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Good for you, Marty...

Marty???
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oh the joys of getting through red tape in the UAE...

I lost my passport last year, not sure there is enough space in this forum to describe the blow by blow process it took to get a new one. The application bit with the UK Passport Authority (in Dusseldorf!) was the easy bit, it was the process leading up to and after I received it that was a total nightmare.

DDS I hope they made you younger than you are?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

DDS, sounds like a typical day in court for me. "Procedure". Enough to drive a guy to infidel juice.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Good for you, Marty...

Feldman?
Bethsmum

desertdudeshj wrote:Then he fiddles around with a bit more, still same look of biwilderment. Reboots the PC a few times still nothing. At this point I'm on my hands and knees praying please lord please. Then he taps his mate again. Hey look at this. His mates goes, AH ! slides his seat over. Types a little and goes see its all good and goes back. All this takes around 30 mins.

Then he starts typing away. I see him pull my picture form my pile and place it in the scanner. And 15 more minutes pass and the police station is almost empty by now and all the electronic boards are off. Finally he calls my name, I go pick it up and WTF, date of birth is printed wrong, but everythign else is right at this time I couldn't give a crap and walk out fo the station at around 2.00 pm. SIGH !

How well known... Last month I bought a second hand car in Sharjah. First of all they required bank's release, then 3 days all computers in the station didn't work, then a few ours to transfer documents and then went to the auto vilage for auto check, insurance and registration, and number plates. One guy from express service offered to make everything for 15 minutes at 110 Dhs and I agreed immediately.

Well I forgot to mention that in prosess of receiving my driving license 5 years ago they corrected my rather long surname twice. :shock:

Anyway mate, thanks for inside.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

desertdudeshj wrote:Well I just realised a few days back my driving license had expired...

So, in summary, if you had an Emirates ID Card, as has been extensively advertised as a requirement for any Government Services, by the EIA for ALL UAE Residents in recent Years, your Sharjah Saga would never have happened?

I recall a discussion on DF recently about this particular subject, the EID Card, and someone stating they couldn’t be bothered with the card and it was pointless, now then, who was that?

Self inflicted DDS, you were a victim of your own arrogance, will you be getting your EID Card now? Or did you enjoy your little bit of nostalgia in Sharjah so much that you will attempt to avail yourself of any further Government Services the same way?

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dillon wrote: Self inflicted DDS, you were a victim of your own arrogance, will you be getting your EID Card now? Or did you enjoy your little bit of nostalgia in Sharjah so much that you will attempt to avail yourself of any further Government Services the same way?

Dillon, did you see a queue in Al Barsha 2 EID station, the nearest one to you, in December? No? Or sorry, your post is probably the British habit to teach the rest of the World... :idea:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:
Dillon wrote: Self inflicted DDS, you were a victim of your own arrogance, will you be getting your EID Card now? Or did you enjoy your little bit of nostalgia in Sharjah so much that you will attempt to avail yourself of any further Government Services the same way?

Dillon, did you see a queue in Al Barsha 2 EID station, the nearest one to you, in December? No? Or sorry, your post is probably the British habit to teach the rest of the World... :idea:

Hey Chief,

What point are you trying to make?, as for EID it took me no more than 5 minutes to complete the formalities, tha main thing being, don't wait until the last minute.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
Red Chief wrote:

Hey Chief,

What point are you trying to make?, as for EID it took me no more than 5 minutes to complete the formalities, tha main thing being, don't wait until the last minute.

It took me a few hours to complete all papers and pass all tests 2 years ago but as I had to renew my visa in 2010 and when came to EID office in December the clerk told me that I should come on February without penalty because they are completely full. Typing Centre in the Knoledge Village granted me audience on the end of the February. The issue was due to they add laborers to applicants. In January they decided drop them and issue EID card for them together with renewing their visa only. I have no idea why they cannot do the same for the rest expats.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

I love those typing mistakes. Hubby renewed his about a month ago, so I check to see when my would expire. My license was to have been for 10 years, but someone graced me with 20 years!!! Sometimes errors work in one's favor. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Red Chief wrote:Dillon, did you see a queue in Al Barsha 2 EID station, the nearest one to you, in December? No? Or sorry, your post is probably the British habit to teach the rest of the World... :idea:

Well I can see the message in my post went straight over YOUR head, nothing new there then eeh?
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Bora Bora wrote:I love those typing mistakes. Hubby renewed his about a month ago, so I check to see when my would expire. My license was to have been for 10 years, but someone graced me with 20 years!!! Sometimes errors work in one's favor. :lol:

They probably mixed up the period of license with your age at that time. You looked pretty young or used rather old picture.
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:I love those typing mistakes. Hubby renewed his about a month ago, so I check to see when my would expire. My license was to have been for 10 years, but someone graced me with 20 years!!! Sometimes errors work in one's favor. :lol:

They probably mixed up the period of license with your age at that time. You looked pretty young or used rather old picture.
8) 8) 8)

Well cupcake, since you have to be there in person, it's probably the first!!!! :wink:

-- Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:15 pm --

Dillon wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Well I just realised a few days back my driving license had expired...

So, in summary, if you had an Emirates ID Card, as has been extensively advertised as a requirement for any Government Services, by the EIA for ALL UAE Residents in recent Years, your Sharjah Saga would never have happened?

I recall a discussion on DF recently about this particular subject, the EID Card, and someone stating they couldn’t be bothered with the card and it was pointless, now then, who was that?

Self inflicted DDS, you were a victim of your own arrogance, will you be getting your EID Card now? Or did you enjoy your little bit of nostalgia in Sharjah so much that you will attempt to avail yourself of any further Government Services the same way?

Touche!!!

DDS, it took me no time to get my EID. Of course, I had someone take me to the head office. Why don't you get one of your friends that are "higher up" to walk you through it? I could give you the name of my person if you like. Nah.................I'm playing with you (about putting you in touch with my contact that is) :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

No services have been stopped because of the EID as you might have read now the process is going to be integrated with visa renewals, something I've been saying that should have been done in the first place, I got my license renewed in Sharjah didn't I. The point is the monkeys at the RTA have no clue about anything. If you read I wrote I called them up THREE times on three different occasion with three different operators, to not double check, but tripple check. And I'm pretty sure If I had my EID something else would have come up at RTA aswell. I could relate to you another incident of a friend trying to renew his car registratiom in Dubai, which was already registered in Dubai on his name with a RAK visa, EID and all !

There had been articles in the local dailes also mentioning this and that you can register your car in dubai aswell with no mention of it. So sorry Dillion failed attempt at trying to preach, again.

And BB thanks but no thanks, I don't bother people for every small thing I need. I keep them stashed away for the big stuff. Like getting a 30 day vehicle impound and fine written off a friend who jumped a red light in a rental. I am totally against such traffic violations and would agree that if you do the crime you do the time, but the poor guy would have had to foot the rental bill for 30 days. Which would be close to around 28,000 dhs and thats money he didn't have or could afford and would have seriously landed him in jail and maybe deportation as rent a cars are the biggest A.holes here. These are the situations you use your contacts, not so you can skip a few lines.

Anyways back on topic, red tape here is amazing, but I've noticed this is the case with a lot of countries. So I just can't blame it on the UAE. For example I've heard the saying that when the british left they left their red tape in Nepal and the Nepalese perfected it.

But I sometimes I do see procedures and unrequired redtape created in govermental depts just to squeeze in more employees. Again in Sharjah I've seen two cues and behind the counter, two guys sitting next to each other which is basically one desk with two chairs. One collects the money and tells him to go the next line. Once you reach the end of the line. The guy sitting next to the fellow you just handed the money looks at your paper and stamps it ?! Now couldn't just one guy collect the money and stamp it, or if you need to employ another person. Just collect the money and hand it to your buddy so he can stamp it and you can be on your way.

Most of the work can be handled by just one worker. As most of the time a single procedure is divided up into many smaller steps and spread through out a single building. Somewhat like RTA is doing with vehicle registrations. One counter for everything. If anybody has been here long enough and remember the old way it was done can relate. Like an Abu Dhabi fine could only be paid in Abu Dhabi.

And the biggest rant of all I guess would be why is it that very convinently near to quitting time ( usually half an hour early ) all the computers seem to crash ?
desertdudeshj

If I have a source that can make my life easier, by all means I use it. Especially when I'm told by the people themselves to call on them anytime for anything!!! :D

As for government, you could have made 10 calls and would have gotten possible 5 answers the same the other 5 different answers. What else is new? :drunken:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Wasta and how it works in this country. Its a two street, you ask a lot of small favours and they get done and then one day your asked for something really big and out of the way and then you really are in no position to refuse then, awkard to say the least.

I prefer to stay on the otherside of this equasion.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Wasta and how it works in this country. Its a two street, you ask a lot of small favours and they get done and then one day your asked for something really big and out of the way and then you really are in no position to refuse then, awkard to say the least.

I prefer to stay on the otherside of this equasion.

DDS, you should be aware of the fact that I don't abuse what I have available to me. I am grateful to know that we have some very serious wasta. You never, ever know when you can get jammed up in Dubai!!! You should also know that in many cases the offer extended to us is their way of reciprocating for something that hubby has done for them or it's because they genuinely like him. Very, very rarely do we call on favors - it is the opposite for us - we are happy to do a favor for someone deserving. I'm sure you are rolling your eyes, but you don't know me or hubby, and I'm not about to pat myself on the back and tell you about any of it.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Your brought up the wasta bit in this dicussion, which was really a moot point anyways.

Anywhoo, hope this atleasts serves as a heads up to anyone about to initiate a similar endevour here.
desertdudeshj

Not really, only if have a driving license issued by a country on the prefered list and hold the same nationailty. If your not then all of a sudden the same license is pretty much useless. Also I know british kids who grew up here without a british license had to jump all the hoops as anyone to get a Dubai license.

sage & onion wrote:I took a test, it was a joke compared with the Driving Test in UK, so what is the point?

I assuming that was in teh late 70's or early 80's. My dad also took his driving test in the 70's here and thats what he said too, that it was a joke. But things have changed dramatical over the years and the driving gotten worse !
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Your brought up the wasta bit in this dicussion, which was really a moot point anyways.

Anywhoo, hope this atleasts serves as a heads up to anyone about to initiate a similar endevour here.

Guess that means your "story" was a moot point as well. :lol: And since when are you the only one to bring up "moot points" in a discussion - or better yet - highjack threads :?: :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

OH NO ! What will I do, the deadly eye roll......... Kryptonite of forums !

Not to fret I got lead lined undies 8)
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:OH NO ! What will I do, the deadly eye roll......... Kryptonite of forums !

Not to fret I got lead lined undies 8)

To which I'm sure Mrs DDS has the key to!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat