The Japanese

Topic locked
The Japanese Mar 22, 2011
Is it only me that finds the Japanese strange?

They have just gone through a monumental disaster and nobody shows any emotion!
The Sky news reports show them all forming orderly queues for food, row after row of silver cars queueing for petrol, all wearing masks and saying not a lot.
There was a report this morning where the reporter was trying to get some random people to critise the Japanese government. While we all know it's nodody's fault, isn't normal to want to shout about their misfortune? They just said the rescue effort would get to them eventually. A total lack of emotion.
After the tales of the second world war, I always thought the Japs were a particularly cruel people. I think it may be that they just don't have any feelings!

Whilst I don't go with the ME thing of weeping and wailing, some form of emotion would be expected after a tsunami surely?

The Japanese are wierd!

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: The Japanese Mar 22, 2011
Its a well known fact that they are able to do a better job at keeping their emotions in check.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Well I actually applaud them for their behaviour. What's the point in wailing and crying etc. They're just trying to survive right now and doing what they need to do, to do it. No point making a song and dance about it. They're not really an emotive nation to be fair.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Picked this up from a blogger and explains in some way why the Japanese respond the way they did/do.

Japan has a culture of national unity and respect for authority, and this culture has proven extremely beneficial in these dire times. Despite some anger towards the government of Japan for their response to the crisis — in particular, the handling of the nuclear emergency — the Japanese people have still followed the instructions of the government carefully and have assisted their fellow citizens in need.

Many Japanese stores have also voluntarily reduced their prices to ensure that those in need can have access to the products they need. Drink machine vendors have also opened up many of their machines and given away their items for free.

Japanese culture emphasizes humility and honour and these traits are being shown during this crisis. There seems to be a sense of unity that has brought the people of Japan closer together, rather than push them apart. It is also possible that experience with disaster in the past has helped them remain calm in the face of crisis; Japan has experienced terrible earthquakes before, and as we all know, Japan is the only nation to ever have nuclear arms used against them.

The blogger also pointed out was that there was no looting.

With regard to showing lack of emotion, if you recall, when Princess Diana died, it was noted several times in news reports how the British were so open about showing their emotions during that time. Brits were perceived as being "cold" due to their lack of emotion, which I always saw as not being cold, but keeping their emotions in check publicly, but expressed their emotions in private.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: The Japanese Mar 23, 2011
It's ironic, the fish are eating raw Japanese.
Bethsmum

Re: The Japanese Apr 10, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:It's ironic, the fish are eating raw Japanese.

common BM, thats not a nice thing to say :)

-- Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:19 pm --

general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: The Japanese Apr 10, 2011
Heh... Weird is a synonym for japanese, How you ask ? ->

1. Solar Powered Bra
ImageA Solar-powered Bra!
It can generate enough electric energy to charge a mobile phone or an iPod! http://www.oddee.com/item_96515.aspx

2.Diet Water

3.Spaghetti Fan

4. Perversion Unlimited

5. Pillow that simulates being hugged by a Man

6.Clothing - conversation starter's

Sources - http://damncoolpics.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... japan.html . http://www.oddee.com/item_96515.aspx
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: The Japanese Apr 11, 2011
general_A wrote:

-- Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:19 pm --

So nice I said it twice!
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat