The Difference Between Cold And Swine Flu Symptoms

Topic locked
The Difference between Cold and Swine Flu Symptoms Aug 29, 2009

Symptom

Cold
Swine Flu

Fever
Fever is rare with a cold.
Fever is usually present with the flu in up to 80% of all flu cases. A temperature of 100°F or higher for 3 to 4 days is associated with the flu.

Coughing
A hacking, productive (mucus- producing) cough is often present with a cold.
A non-productive (non-mucus producing) cough is usually present with the flu (sometimes referred to as dry cough).

Aches
Slight body aches and pains can be part of a cold.
Severe aches and pains are common with the flu.

Stuffy Nose
Stuffy nose is commonly present with a cold and typically resolves spontaneously within a week.
Stuffy nose is not commonly present with the flu.

Chills
Chills are uncommon with a cold.
60% of people who have the flu experience chills.

Tiredness
Tiredness is fairly mild with a cold.
Tiredness is moderate to severe with the flu.

Sneezing
Sneezing is commonly present with a cold.
Sneezing is not common with the flu.

Sudden Symptoms
Cold symptoms tend to develop over a few days.
The flu has a rapid onset within 3-6 hours. The flu hits hard and includes sudden symptoms like high fever, aches and pains.

Headache
A headache is fairly uncommon with a cold.
A headache is very common with the flu, present in 80% of flu cases.

Sore Throat
Sore throat is commonly present with a cold.
Sore throat is not commonly present with the flu.

Chest Discomfort
Chest discomfort is mild to moderate with a cold.
Chest discomfort is often severe with the flu.

I pray that all enjoying good health and good moral :wink:

catalyst
Dubai chat master

Aug 29, 2009
Can I point out that if you have these flu symptoms it is far more likely that you have normal flu than swine flu. So don't panic, but do consult your doctor without delay. Your doctor should know or ask you what other conditons you sufffer from (asthma, heart, kidney, blood problems, etc) which can complicate H1N1 (and even normal flu) and make it more dangerous.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2009
Thanks ^__*
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Aug 30, 2009
Yeah I was going to say, so no difference between Swine flu symptoms and normal flu symptoms then - doh! If you're healthy you'll get over swine flu very quickly anyway.

A mate of mine works in a clinic here and they had someone in with Swiney last week.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 30, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah I was going to say, so no difference between Swine flu symptoms and normal flu symptoms then - doh! If you're healthy you'll get over swine flu very quickly anyway.

A mate of mine works in a clinic here and they had someone in with Swiney last week.

Welcome to my thread Chocs :wink:

I hope that a cure will found soon for such disease .. :roll:
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Aug 30, 2009
There is a cure; the treament for bird flu, Tamiflu, which is well stocked in the UAE, and also other flu treatments seem effective.

What there isn't yet is an available vaccine, is will be available very soon, a matter of months (or even less I think), but as the Western world has already pre-ordered most of the expected early production there will very likely be a severe shortage in the rest of the world.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2009
Speedhump ; you must have heard about Conspiracy Theroy , what do you think ?
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Aug 30, 2009
I think conspiracy theories are all cooked up (that's a joke...get it?).

Seriously, I can't believe any of these crackpot rumours, for example the story that AIDS was a US invention to kill Africans, or Muslims, or whatever. Same old, same old, every time.

People just love to disbelieve, always looking for an alternative, more nasty story.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2009
See I am not to conspiracy theories side . But I know these people have no morals . They are doing anything to gain profits . And for Tamiflu you read alot of article for Western Doctors - even non muslims - suspect that ..
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Aug 30, 2009
OK, I also believe that pharmaceutical companies seem to know no limits when it comes to making money out of misery. They try to supress alternative vaccines which are cheaper than their own, but which could help to eradicate some major Third World health problems. But I still don't think they could get away with this one. These things always seem to come out nowadays. There are many potential whistle blowers in every company now. Especially Americans who believe they should be guaranteed their moment of fame (blame Andy Warhol...). :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2009
I wouldn't put anything past these companies in their bid to make a buck!

For example, take all the cases in the UK and certain parts of Europe in recent years where women have been denied the latest treatment for breast cancer, which is the most effective yet - on national health service schemes! You want it? You go private and pay for it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat