Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi About Johann Hari's Biased Agenda

Topic locked
Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi about Johann Hari's biased agenda Apr 24, 2009
Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi talks to Time Out about the now infamous 'Dark side of Dubai' article.

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/knowledge/f ... t-to-reply
(quoted below in full)

Q.What did you think of The Independent article?
A.Johann Hari had an agenda. He came here with the intention of writing an article called the ‘Dark Side of Dubai’ so he wasn’t looking for anything except negative opinions. During our conversation I told him many positive things but he left those points out. Every person he found to speak to was an extreme case: the drunk expatriate, the homeless expatriate, the lazy expatriate… I don’t buy it; it is not representative of this country as a whole.

Q.Why did you write a reply in the same newspaper?
A.I wrote a retort pointing out that Britain also has a dark side. It wasn’t in any way disrespectful to Britain, a country I love. But it was a way of showing that you cannot just write up an entire article based on negative points and generalise. I pointed out that I could go to Britain and interview poor or homeless people in London and I could call it ‘The Dark Side Of Britain’. What will that do for anybody? It’s cheap journalism. But I respect The Independent for allowing me to expose one of its own journalists.

Q.And then Hari criticised you for not addressing his criticisms.
A.Yes, but for the last two years I’ve written about human rights, labour rights, children’s rights, women’s rights and environmental issues in the UAE. The fact is that we are a 37-year-old country that had one of the highest illiteracy rates in the world one or two generations ago. It needs time to develop and I know it should happen faster, but you can’t expect everything to happen at once.

Q.You touched on the issue of trade unions…
A.When you are a minority in a country and you start implementing unplanned moves with regards to labour, you could potentially harm yourself and so you have to be careful. I was watching the BBC this morning and it said that Britain was a country of one million immigrants. One million immigrants in a country of 60 million citizens – the UAE has 700,000 citizens and five million immigrants. Just keep in mind this ratio and how things can go wrong. We must tread carefully with regards to labour reforms.

Q.Your main point seemed to be that Dubai is basically a tolerant haven in a troubled region.
A.Yes. At the height of turbulent moments in the Middle East, the UAE has been a sanctuary for people. During the Iran/Iraq war, Iranians and Iraqis were working together in Dubai; when the Indians and Pakistanis had problems they were colleagues over here. This is an example for everybody to follow. It’s the same for Syrians and Lebanese, Sunnis and Shias, Hindus and Christians… we are so proud of this. We have also advanced women’s rights; we have women ministers, and we have women in our parliament. Yes it’s not all democratic but we don’t have to import other systems. We don’t discriminate, and we’re very proud of this. I think you will make progress here no matter what nationality you are. Of course, things are not ideal – but we believe in progress and progress will continue.

Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi is a Dubai-based columnist for The National newspaper. His columns have also appeared in The Financial Times, The Independent and The Hindu

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi about Johann Hari's biased agend Apr 24, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Every person he found to speak to was an extreme case: the drunk expatriate, the homeless expatriate, the lazy expatriate… I don’t buy it; it is not representative of this country as a whole.

It isn't easy to meet drunk expat on Dubai's streets, but I've never seen homeless expat at all. It looks that Mr. Hari is a very professional reporter to find them.
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 24, 2009
A very good retort from Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi, the article by Johann Hari was certainly nothing more than have a go at Dubai.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 24, 2009
sage & onion wrote:A very good retort from Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi, the article by Johann Hari was certainly nothing more than have a go at Dubai.

After all the positive and marketed flyers of 'The Bright side of Dubai' in the recent years starting from 2000, the Hari article was waiting to happen.

I think its a good thing for Dubai. Now the UAE as a whole will think before they humiliate the workers again on such hot issues.

There are only good things coming from this eventually. People rights will improve and hopefully with accelerated efforts after the Nahyan torture. That should really set examples for a proper justice system.

I only see improvements from Johann Hari. People that can't handle critics are never going to learn anything for the greater cause. They are too focussed on themselves.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 24, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:A very good retort from Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi, the article by Johann Hari was certainly nothing more than have a go at Dubai.

After all the positive and marketed flyers of 'The Bright side of Dubai' in the recent years starting from 2000, the Hari article was waiting to happen.

I think its a good thing for Dubai. Now the UAE as a whole will think before they humiliate the workers again on such hot issues.

There are only good things coming from this eventually. People rights will improve and hopefully with accelerated efforts after the Nahyan torture. That should really set examples for a proper justice system.

I only see improvements from Johann Hari. People that can't handle critics are never going to learn anything for the greater cause. They are too focussed on themselves.

Only one small comment. 'The UAE' haven't provided the workers' conditions, the construction companies have, and they are not governmentally owned, they are private enterprise. The laws are in place to provide good conditions; the Government's fault has been not to apply the laws strictly enough. It is a fault, absolutely, but let's differentiate correctly.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Only one small comment. 'The UAE' haven't provided the workers' conditions, the construction companies have, and they are not governmentally owned, they are private enterprise. The laws are in place to provide good conditions; the Government's fault has been not to apply the laws strictly enough. It is a fault, absolutely, but let's differentiate correctly.

You are right and as I said the same in another topic.

But the reason why I focus on goverment and the justice apparatus, is because of the lack of law enforcement. For example: If Arabtec gets a fine of 10.000 Dirhams (seen in the Panorama vid) that is a fine they wipe their asses off with. They whole toilet block costs more than that to build.

The problem is regulatory enforcement. They can bring to paper any kind of law, but without actually dealing with problems, they shovel themselves under the persian rugs at one point.

That's why I focus on government. But you are right, that the private sector should take its responsibility first, as this is where to problems always start. All about money. Government is there for its people....you would hope :wink:
RobbyG

Apr 24, 2009
Agreed, fines for all manner of wrongs worldwide are laughably small, polluting, deforesting, you name it.

Sad.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2009
Now wasn't that diplomatic. Hope some of the warring femmes on this forum can take a cue!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2009
haha, fireworks going off all over DF right now :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

You still have to visit Dubai, you shouldn't believe all the negativity that is in the press.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 24, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

You still have to visit Dubai, you shouldn't believe all the negativity that is in the press.

I don't, I only see the (hope for) change that it brings. 8)
RobbyG

Apr 24, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Fair comment (and agreed by Robby, of course, I see). Media hysteria is swallowed greedily and whole by a large portion of the populace. But not by intelligent members of DF ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Fair comment (and agreed by Robby, of course, I see). Media hysteria is swallowed greedily and whole by a large portion of the populace. But not by intelligent members of DF ;)

:wink:

The world isn't all black and white. Its the edge that triggers the survivor in us. If you merely take away some bones from a dog, he'll find another one...even if he has to steal one to get round....
RobbyG

Apr 24, 2009
BUT. No excuse for wholesale kneejerk reactions to the media suddenly going suspiciously ballistic just to generate sales, or journalists just to generate self-promotion .... :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2009
Speedhump wrote:BUT. No excuse for wholesale kneejerk reactions to the media suddenly going suspiciously ballistic just to generate sales, or journalists just to generate self-promotion .... :)

How come?

Did I miss the exodus of private enterprise and capitalistic machinery from Dubai or would that be, I sense, a transgression to far?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 24, 2009
Well, with all the glossed over pro-Dubai propaganda out there it doesn't hurt to have a negative article once in a while to balance it out. However, nothing beats a single article that shows a balanced view of key pros and cons rather than just seeking out the extreme cases.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 24, 2009
kanelli wrote:Well, with all the glossed over pro-Dubai propaganda out there it doesn't hurt to have a negative article once in a while to balance it out. However, nothing beats a single article that shows a balanced view of key pros and cons rather than just seeking out the extreme cases.

In my view, this is common logic.

Not much words need to be said to support the value of a proper balanced article. But the UAE among others doesn't open up to criticism. Then you get excesses and they fall like bombs.

So you open up and get balance or you close and forbid and get the occasional atomic bomb and undercover ops.

This was a story waiting to happen. Thats why we love our balanced Western society that much. And thats why our media is so harsh on everyone that gets it going.

Amusement pays in capitalism. Fear and loathing will be wrapped in a paying package to keep it eatable.

Logically...since no-one wants bare torture on his plate ;)
RobbyG

Apr 24, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Speedhump wrote:BUT. No excuse for wholesale kneejerk reactions to the media suddenly going suspiciously ballistic just to generate sales, or journalists just to generate self-promotion .... :)

How come?

Did I miss the exodus of private enterprise and capitalistic machinery from Dubai or would that be, I sense, a transgression to far?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:D cute!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 25, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Actually he is in the UAE and he pays ahundred dirham for the unlimited access of the internet !!

RobbyG wrote:
Red Chief wrote:Half-educated sponger who spends all parents money on internet instead of ice-cream.

I pay a hundred Dirhams a month son for unlimited access. We don't live in the 7th century anymore.

Perhaps in Russia? I wouldn't know.

Just keep your hands of my pal Sheedhump here. He's a wise sage. 8)
You touch him, I touch you Chief. Thats how we settle in here. :wink:
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 25, 2009
uaekid wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Actually he is in the UAE and he pays ahundred dirham for the unlimited access of the internet !!

RobbyG wrote:
Red Chief wrote:Half-educated sponger who spends all parents money on internet instead of ice-cream.

I pay a hundred Dirhams a month son for unlimited access. We don't live in the 7th century anymore.

Perhaps in Russia? I wouldn't know.

Just keep your hands of my pal Sheedhump here. He's a wise sage. 8)
You touch him, I touch you Chief. Thats how we settle in here. :wink:

You are a smart fellow aren't ya? 8) :twisted:
RobbyG

Apr 26, 2009
All ears. :bunny:
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat