sponsorship should be scrapped Jun 25, 2009
This is one for the Dubai police chief.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20090 ... 49993/1010

uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 25, 2009
I really agree to what he says.. its outdated and very old,
Sponsorship creates a lot of problem for everyone ,
It takes up a lot of time for anything you do.

its just that after removing the sponsorship ,
UAE nationals who are earning by sponsoring Expats will lose the extra cash
hack88
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 27, 2009
I hope this eventually becomes a reality.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 27, 2009
Do you really believe they will scrap this system?, it has worked for so long and it is certainly a way of distributing the wealth.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 27, 2009
sage & onion wrote:Do you really believe they will scrap this system?, it has worked for so long and it is certainly a way of distributing the wealth.

:shock: ???????????
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 28, 2009
Why not initially abolish the sponsorship system for expatriate professionals......as a trial run. Then gradually apply the same to other categories...

I would do that if I was in charge!!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 28, 2009
sage & onion wrote:Do you really believe they will scrap this system?, it has worked for so long and it is certainly a way of distributing the wealth.

what wealth sage LOL
uaekid

Jun 28, 2009
sponsorship system = bonded labour = human rights violation = attack by western media
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 28, 2009
Well they've already done it in Bahrain and it seems to be working ok over there.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 28, 2009
well choc ,Bahrain is way way way diff than UAE.

beside I think the GOV will add so many restrictions regarding the sponsor alternatives and starting a business will be difficult for expats since the banks always prefer a local cosigner
uaekid

Jun 28, 2009
Well things can change you know. Scrapping sponsorship would only be a good thing.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 28, 2009
don't get me wrong but the less of you the more joy for me LOL

but the GOV will ask for many grantees in order to get in the country like your financial statues and so on and getting loan to start a buz as I said before will be hard, so what might for you may not work for many others. lets be realistic , ppl come or need to be here to make money and the harder it get the less will be here to open a business. but I hope it will be for good for both sides. many locals get high fines up to 50,000 when their labors violate the law and many of their businesses gets on hold until they fix their labors issues so I guess the locals will benefit more of it..
uaekid

Jun 28, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well they've already done it in Bahrain and it seems to be working ok over there.

Welcome back Chocs...

How was the Thailand trip...???

Tell us all about it when you have the time.

I haven't been to Thailand in several years!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 29, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well they've already done it in Bahrain and it seems to be working ok over there.

Not so fast dear....

It appears that the scrapping of the sponsorship in Bahrain has not been implemented yet. It's still being debated.

See this GN article:

Bahrain sponsorship system will not be scrapped, says BCCI

By Habib Toumi, Bureau Chief
Published: June 14, 2009, 15:55

Manama: Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI), spearheading a drive to freeze a decision to allow foreigners to switch jobs freely, has said that the sponsorship system would not be scrapped in Bahrain.

"The issue being debated now in Bahrain is whether to allow foreigners to switch jobs without the consent of their employers. This has nothing to do with the sponsorship system, which will remain in place and will not be scrapped since according to the rules, any foreigner who comes to Bahrain must be sponsored by a person or a company," the BCCI said.

Bahrain last month announced that it was scrapping the sponsorship system which its labour minister, Majeed Al Alawi, likened to modern-day slavery.

The decision was hailed by international rights activists and labour organizations, but staunchly resisted by the business community and some MPs, led by Al Asala, the third largest parliamentary bloc.

Several businessmen and the Bahrain Fishermen Society threatened to stage rallies and protests to build up pressure on Al Alawi to repeal the decision.

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/09 ... 22654.html
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat