Solving Traffic Problems In Dubai The 7days Way

Topic locked
Solving traffic problems in Dubai the 7days way May 14, 2006
Ya gotta love this newspaper. Funniest letters I've read in a long time. This one suggests a novel solution (although it's not without precedent). :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As an aside, apparently a journalist visiting Saudi a couple of years back asked a police official (the chief of police I think) why women weren't allowed to drive. The reply was that it would be dangerous because they can't see properly through their veils. Ahah. Good point :shock: .

Brave reader calls for female driving ban

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Published on: Saturday, 13th May, 2006 | Permanent Link | no responses

The solution to traffic congestion is very simple and has been working and proven in Saudi Arabia for years.

Ban all females from the roads completely.

They can stay at home where they belong.

And of course that has the added benefit of keeping them out of our offices and enticing good hard-working men who need to put in eight or ten hours of hard work before going straight home for their properly cooked dinners.

And there is another benefit - No more junk food: No more fast take-aways.

From a [UK] man of our times
Abu Dhabi

sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 14, 2006
Reckon he's had any bad experiences?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
And my reply to Mr Moron, which I hope will be published is tomorrow is: Really? Then how come with a male only driving population Saudi Arabia is statistacally the worst in the world for driving on the roads with the most deaths and injuries!

In view of this information - all MEN should be banned from the roads.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 14, 2006
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Imagine roads with all women on them!

There would be no beeping at the traffic lights because the woman in the car behind was too busy doing her make-up in the rear view mirror to even notice the lights had changed...and the woman at the front of the queue wouldn't have noticed either as she would be rooting in her handbag on the passenger seat for a comb or hairbrush...

There would be no need for lanes...they have no idea what the white lines are for anyway...apart from making 'all that dull black tarmac a bit brighter!'

There would be lines of women stopping to ask the token visible male pedestrian for directions to this and that...because they will always ask rather than read the map or use the male's inherrent homing signals...or ability to find the bar...

...and simply hundreds of weeping, distraught girls at the side of the road screaming into their mobile phones as they broke a nail trying to change the wheel and the nail bar is fully booked and, as only women are allowed on the road, the tyre repair lady is taking a slight detour to visit the hairdressers in Abu Dhabi...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:And my reply to Mr Moron, which I hope will be published is tomorrow is: Really? Then how come with a male only driving population Saudi Arabia is statistacally the worst in the world for driving on the roads with the most deaths and injuries!

In view of this information - all MEN should be banned from the roads.

Pretty good chances you won't be the only person to point that out to Mr Dimwit choco. But props to ya.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:In view of this information - all MEN should be banned from the roads.

Well, if both proposals were implemented, the traffic jam problems would go away 8)...
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 14, 2006
sharewadi wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:In view of this information - all MEN should be banned from the roads.

Well, if both proposals were implemented, the traffic jam problems would go away 8)...

Then we would have camel jams, or sand jams, or even jammy dodgers...there will always be a jam of some sort on the Jam-eirah Beach Road and environs...

Jammy Knight
Dubai Knight

May 14, 2006
:roll: Groan - or we'd end up with all the kids rushing here and there on quad bikes.

Maybe everyone could use bicycles, skateboards and rollerskates instead.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 14, 2006
Chocs

Can we assume a new quad bike is not on your Crimbo list

arniegang

May 14, 2006
I used to have a trike, that was quite fun, but they're too dangerous and a bit of a menace.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote::roll: Groan - or we'd end up with all the kids rushing here and there on quad bikes.

Maybe everyone could use bicycles, skateboards and rollerskates instead.

An admirable tree hugging green concept...until you have to get to Abu Dhabi in August! Look great rollerblading 150 kms down the SZR in 50 degrees!

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 14, 2006
First I thought Liban wrote the letter but after reading the guy was from the UK....tut tut Arnie!! Pot stirrer number one!! :lol: I love articles like this! The guy cannot be serious as anyone who is anyone knows it is the males that use there mobiles and fail to indicate while cutting across two lanes that cause the accidents. DUH!!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 14, 2006
G, what's an indicator? ;)
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:G, what's an indicator?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

May 14, 2006
Fear not fellow DFers, I had the ultimate solution presented to me right here in my office just last week! A man sat there and claimed in all honesty that it was the long term plan of the government of Dubai to turn the entire Sheikh Zayed Road into a pedestrian precinct and that we would commute along it in sealed bubble golf carts!

I was totally convinced!

...Until the moment he claimed that he was Napoleon Bonaparte III and that his brother, Elvis Presley, shot JFK from a UFO hovering behind the Grassy Knoll with a special gun recovered from the sealed safe of the Titanic and that Lee Harvey Oswald was actually an alien in a skin suit that looked like a human and he was really a green scaly lizard underneath and was instantly teleported out when Jack Ruby, who was another lizard alien in disguise, used a spacial modifing warp link disguised as a gun...

It has to be true! Honest! It'll be in 7 Days soon enough, you mark my words!

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 14, 2006
New subject at Woolongong - History 101 with DF's DK.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
DK,

I did not want to believe you at first but I ran into Elvis at the local Dunkin Dougnuts and he confirmed it.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
Concord wrote:DK,

I did not want to believe you at first but I ran into Elvis at the local Dunkin Dougnuts and he confirmed it.

Yeah he called in at the Irish Village just afterwards riding Shergar with Lord Lucan sitting on the back...

You wait...7 Days is waiting for the scoop!

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 14, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:G, what's an indicator? ;)

Very good :mrgreen: .

There're those foot long black rods you see along the side of SZR - people toss them out the window of the car they just bought because they get in the way when you want to put your foot on the dashboard.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 14, 2006
:lol:

Actually, this talk of indicator reminds me of my friend's driving test in AD.

1) She was doing speed limit (60) in the test and the examiner told her "faster, faster, no one infront, must do 100!"

2) She was indicating for each turn - "no need to indicate, waste time, just brake and turn"

This same examiner also passed a local girl who managed to find herself driving on the wrong side of the road and broke down in tears as a result.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:G, what's an indicator? ;)

It is certainly NOT the white bright lights followed by the beep beep sound as onesees and hears as one is reversed over! :wink:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 14, 2006
GAB wrote:It is certainly NOT the white bright lights followed by the beep beep sound as onesees and hears as one is reversed over! :wink:

:lol:
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
XRW-147 wrote::lol:

1) She was doing speed limit (60) in the test and the examiner told her "faster, faster, no one infront, must do 100!"

2) She was indicating for each turn - "no need to indicate, waste time, just brake and turn"

This same examiner also passed a local girl who managed to find herself driving on the wrong side of the road and broke down in tears as a result.

Please tell me that this is not true! And people wonder why driving standards in the UAE are so poor!!

They don't need to ban women - just ban the bad drivers!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 14, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
XRW-147 wrote::lol:

Please tell me that this is not true! And people wonder why driving standards in the UAE are so poor!!

They don't need to ban women - just ban the bad drivers!

If that were the case Zoot...the roads would be empty of Taxis, driving instructors, truck drivers...in fact about 90% of the road users! Yeah, you are right, it would solve the problem.

"And there goes Chocs down the middle lane of the SZR...on her rollerblades!"

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 14, 2006
I bet 100 Dhs that Chocs really does have rollerblades or a skateboard put away somewhere.

arniegang

May 17, 2006
I've seen an attractive woman roller blade around here....on the road and she really moves fast!! :shock:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 17, 2006
If it was Choc's u would mistake her for The Flash.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 17, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:If it was Choc's u would mistake her for The Flash.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Chocs? Flashing? On Rollerblades?

WOW!!!! Now there is a fantasy image to keep you awake at night!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 17, 2006
U never read comics DK? And I thought u're into sci-fi :P
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 17, 2006
i went to abu dhabi yesterday....driver was jordanian guy....he scared the hell out of me....bugger was driving with coffee glass in one hand sandwich in other hand at a speed of 180....when i asked hihm to be careful he said dont worry habibi i drive here everyday....i will better drive myself from next time onwards
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat