A Smoke Free Dubai?

Topic locked
Feb 18, 2007
Hie sage, nah your too sweet for any arguement, okay if u say so :lol:

the covenant, I stated I m a responsible smoker. (or so i think) I avoid smoking indoors in restaurent etc. However, its not our problem if most of the places are smoking zones & minority of you sulk over it.

easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 18, 2007
easternjewel wrote:Hie sage, nah your too sweet for any arguement, okay if u say so :lol:

the covenant, I stated I m a responsible smoker. (or so i think) I avoid smoking indoors in restaurent etc. However, its not our problem if most of the places are smoking zones & minority of you sulk over it.

You might be one, agreed, but again whats there to brag about? and no ones sulking, i guess you people get concious about it when someone strikes a argument, nonsmokers are not at the loosing end, but in long term you are, thats what you need to realize
THE COVENANT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2007
haha I wasnt bragging.. I think all smokers should adapt that attitude, specially because kids are around..

cmon don't be mad now, take a smoke my friend
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 18, 2007
easternjewel wrote:haha I wasnt bragging.. I think all smokers should adapt that attitude, specially because kids are around..

cmon don't be mad now, take a smoke my friend

Nah i dont smoke :) thanks anyways:)
THE COVENANT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2007
I smoke.. but i dont when little ones are there in the area.. n I take my care in ensuring who ever is with me.. is comfortable.. well atleast that they r not pissed of it .. :D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 18, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:I smoke.. but i dont when little ones are there in the area.. n I take my care in ensuring who ever is with me.. is comfortable.. well atleast that they r not pissed of it .. :D

cool enough if u respect what others feel rather than just smoking on their faces and making them walk off with a disgusted look on thier faces. thats a cool thing you do :)
THE COVENANT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2007
easternjewel wrote:Hie sage, nah your too sweet for any arguement, okay if u say so :lol:

Hi EJ, how yah doing?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 22, 2007
I started the post so I guess I'm entitled to my 2 cents. I've got 2 scenerios for you.

1. Smoking sections - first, the smoke in the smoking section doesn't magically stay in that section. Smoke drifts and infects the entire facility. Granted the further away from the smoking section the less it's in your face. However, it is still being breathed no matter how far away you are because smoke travels. But what always cracks me up is how the smoking section butts up against the non-smoking. So someone sitting literally 2 feet away is smoking and ruining your meal. Here in Canada they tried to introduce smoking rooms. So now no smoke interferes witht he non-smokers. Great idea right? Not neccessarily. What about the people who have to work in those areas and serve the smokers? It's not like they can say no. If they do chances are they're fired so? A true story, a colleague of mine, her mother was a career waitress, never smoked, died of lung cancer from second hand smoke. Is it your right as a smoker to subject the general public with smoke?

2. I want to take my pregnant wife and 2 year old out to a restaurant or a mall. So now they have to inhale smoke and damage their lungs? Bull shite!

In the end, if a smoker has to pick up and go outside to smoke I think that's far less of an inconveniece than a non-smoker having to endure second hand smoke. I don't think anyone on this forum is daft enough to try and argue the health benefits of smoking. I think we all know what it does to people. So, knowing that, how can any one smoker say they are being more inconvenienced than a non-smoker. It's absolutely your choice to kill yourself slowly as a smoker. It's my choice not to be killed by smoking and no one should have to be subjected to that. In the end is it that big of a deal for you to get up and go outside for 5 minutes? It's worked all over the world. Check out http://www.stupid.ca. It might enlighten.
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 22, 2007
Very good reasoning giggsy.

I went to Dublin with my family last year, and it was the first time that we had ever encountered the Smoke free policy, especially the restaurants it was fantastic.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 22, 2007
sage & onion wrote:Very good reasoning giggsy.

I went to Dublin with my family last year, and it was the first time that we had ever encountered the Smoke free policy, especially the restaurants it was fantastic.

Why did you come back?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 22, 2007
giggsy wrote:1. Smoking sections - first, the smoke in the smoking section doesn't magically stay in that section. Smoke drifts and infects the entire facility.

Ever heard of extractor fans?

Here in Canada they tried to introduce smoking rooms.

Why is it always the Canadians? (Sorry Fayz)

Is it your right as a smoker to subject the general public with smoke?

Whilst I don't think smoking is super good for you, there is a lot of hyperbole about the effects of cigarette smoking. Car exhaust which is much more plentiful is many many times more dangerous for you.

2. I want to take my pregnant wife and 2 year old out to a restaurant or a mall. So now they have to inhale smoke and damage their lungs? Bull shite!

I agree, but you have no problem getting into your oversized gas guzzling SUV and burning off down the highway belching out pollution.

In the end, if a smoker has to pick up and go outside to smoke I think that's far less of an inconveniece than a non-smoker having to endure second hand smoke.

Having been a non-smoker, an ex-smoker and a current smoker... I can honestly say, if someone more than 2 metres away having a ciggie is bothering you... it's not the cigarette... it's you.
^ian^

Feb 22, 2007
Dr. D continues with his rant
THE COVENANT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2007
THE COVENANT wrote:Dr. D continues with his rant

And you continue to tarnish the image of non-smokers.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 22, 2007
sauron wrote:

Excuse me??? i am a non smoker myself and i dont hate smokers i hate their illogical and lame attempt to portray their need for freedom
THE COVENANT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2007
THE COVENANT wrote:
sauron wrote:

Excuse me??? i am a non smoker myself and i dont hate smokers i hate their illogical and lame attempt to portray their need for freedom

Where has anyone stated a need for 'freedom'?
^ian^

Feb 22, 2007
your talks go in that direction though the word hast been used there is an underlying current which heads in that direction :)
THE COVENANT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2007
THE COVENANT wrote:your talks go in that direction though the word hast been used there is an underlying current which heads in that direction :)

I really thought The Covenant movie sucked arse... and I can that's an underlying theme moving in the 'incoherent?' direction.
^ian^

Feb 22, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
THE COVENANT wrote:your talks go in that direction though the word hast been used there is an underlying current which heads in that direction :)

I really thought The Covenant movie sucked arse... and I can that's an underlying theme moving in the 'incoherent?' direction.

:lol: :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2007
^ian^ wrote:

I guess what everyone talks about you is right :) when you cant carry on with a debate and have your back against the wall you start abusing and try to divert the topic. rather than doing this try and polish your debating skills :lol:
THE COVENANT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2007
Jeevan wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

:lol: :lol:

You find it funny ha :lol: so do i
THE COVENANT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2007
THE COVENANT wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

I guess what everyone talks about you is right :) when you cant carry on with a debate and have your back against the wall you start abusing and try to divert the topic. rather than doing this try and polish your debating skills :lol:

I think it's just pointless carrying on this topic over and over.

Every now and then some preachy people come in here and tell us all off for smoking and mention how it's bad etc. and how we're killing ourselves... all the people in the world... rabbits etc. - all really horrible stuff.

And I hereby award you hypocrite of the month:

I guess what everyone talks about you is right :) when you cant carry on with a debate and have your back against the wall you start abusing and try to divert the topic

WTFG.
^ian^

Feb 22, 2007
I guess I was wrong. Apparently all the stats on the harms of smoking are just "hyperbole." I feel so much better now. Thanks for setting me straight. Or...you're insane. I suggest doing some research into the effects. Now, I do not drive an SUV. I have never driven an SUV nor will I ever drive an SUV. I drive a Honda Civic, much more efficient. Still, not a Hybrid but I can sleep at night. I also am not a big environmentalist pushing my opinions on others. If you want to smoke, knock yourself out. Whatever you want to do to you, hey knock yourself out. I have no issues with you doing whatever it is you do so long as it doesn't interfere with whatever I do. As far as the car pollution, yeah, serious problem. However, you're talking oranges and apples here. I guess if I invited you over to my house, put you in a locked up garage and turned my car on you'd have more of a point. But I'm not forcing anyone to suck on my tail pipe. Because that's essentially what you're doing as a smoker. You are forcing all those around you to breathe your second hand smoke. Key word, force. Again, if you want to lock yourself in your home or car and smoke until you're content go for it. Have a fantastic time. I just don't want to be a part of it. You cannot argue the adverse affects and the statistics. You can choose to ignore them but they're still there. I developed respritory issues when I was 8 because I lived in a house with chain smokers so don't sit there and tell me the issue is with me the non-smoker. I love having to take 2 inhalers and a little pill twice a day so I can get through the day without having an asthma attack. Yeah, the problem is the non-smoker, you're bang on. And as for the ventillation, it helps but it does not eliminate. I work in the appliance industry so I know all about ventilation and CFM's, probably more so that you so you can take that idea back down under. And for the record, it wasn't just Canadians pushing the topic. I seem to remember a Scot and an Irish person talking about how much better it is now that it's smoke free in their native lands. Oh and Ian....smoke travels more than 2 metres. Do you honestly believe that you have a 2 metre force field around you? To summarize, smoke 'em if you got 'em just have the decency not to do so around those who don't. You can choose to smoke, but when you do I have no choice. When you smoke I have to right along with you. And if you go back to the original post it wasn't about telling smokers to quit, it was an inquiry into if Dubai would ever go smoke free in public places.
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 22, 2007
giggsy wrote:I guess I was wrong. .

It happens. Get over it.
^ian^

Feb 22, 2007
It happens more often than I'd like to admit!
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 22, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Very good reasoning giggsy.

Why did you come back?

To annoy you of course :twisted:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat