Signs Of Recession

Topic locked
Apr 04, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:^^ Fair enough! U r totally right........
But I'm tryin to look at things a lil differently here, n i dnt see why it's such a big deal for every country to have some association with educational institutions........It'd really benefit communities big time!
Look at it this way, the Roman Catholic Church has schools in Dubai n Abu-Dhabi(not sure bout other emirates), it's not essentially the business of the church to provide education, but they do a darn good job of it ( in the UAE)! Like wise countries maintain trade centers and other platforms for trade, in many countries, which falls under the oversight of the embassy!
Y is it so far fetched to entertain the idea of embassies mainatining some kind of academic affiliatios, strictly for primary and secondry schools!

The Roman Catholic Church charges school fees - anywhere in the world. The church doesn't give anything away for free.

Emiratis are the only people who are entitled to a free education. All expats have to pay for it.

There are US universities with affiliations here and they charge as well. Do you think they are going to bring the same educational standards and professors here and give it away? The only educational institutions that would be able to work under an embassy would be government owned. Privately owned educational institutes are not going to empower embassies with a say as to how the institute has to be run.

The Catholic School in Dubai probably has the best rates, however it is real difficult to enter.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 04, 2009
No one ever spoke about FREE education! :?
All I'm saying is that the government, under the oversight of the embassy can affiliate/accredite certain academic institutions. They could probably sign an MOU!

Bora Bora wrote:Privately owned educational institutes are not going to empower embassies with a say as to how the institute has to be run.

U sure? If the option of affiliation was available, private institutions would give n arm n a leg just to be affiliated. It's the ultimate endorsement! Infact discerning investors would happily start/invest in academic institutions just to obtain government affiliations.

Bora Bora wrote:The Roman Catholic Church charges school fees - anywhere in the world. The church doesn't give anything away for free.

My referance to the church was solely to drive home the point that it's not necessary for the them to offer education, but they do so keeping the interests of the community in mind.........
I use the Church example because in ur arguments u keep going by the book. Your contentions are often pedantic, with u stating that's it's not the responsibility of the embassy to provide education etc
Yea, we all kno what the responsibilities of the embassy are, but it would'nt hurt if they extendend those responsibilities keeping the well-being of their community in mind!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 04, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:The Roman Catholic Church charges school fees - anywhere in the world. The church doesn't give anything away for free.

The RC Church does offer a lot for free...U can go church, if ur a catholic, take part/ join the various groups/activities for free! U don't have to pay n entrance fee!

Besides in countries like India, in Africa, n Latin America educational institutions run by Jesuits(an arm of the RMC) run some of the finest educational institutions, n the fees they charge r practically nominal to almost nothing at times! I'm sure ur not insinuating that St. Marys School - Dubai, should run for free!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 04, 2009
I can understand your thinking about embassies getting involved. But if that were to happen, it basically means the government gets involved. And if that happens, what do they tell the people "back home" when they can't afford to privately educate their children due to a financial setback (of any kind). In all probability the govt will tell them it is not their problem and suggest that they put they kiddies in public school. If it is not the govt's problem back home, why should it be their problem out of country? Why should the people who are reaping the benefits of being an expat get special privilege at the taxpayers expense? Why punish those who stay at home and contribute to the economy of their country?

I understand that expats pay taxes, but do they actually claim ALL their income? Highly unlikely. Whereas, "back home" its no so easy to discount anything when filing taxes.

And as far as the church, they can do as they please as long as they separate church and state. And I am not insinuating that St Marys School should run for free. I not insinuating that any school should provide free education for expats, unless they chose to do so.

Schools in Dubai that originate in Canada, Australia, US, UK charge school fees in the country of origin and would handle nonpayment of school fees in the same manner as they do here. Why should there be exceptions made for expats?

FYI: There are American universities in the UAE that are accedited. These credits are transferrable to the US and the certification is from accredited and recognized universities. There is an American university in RAK that is closing down and the students are given the choice of continuing their education back in the States or in (I believe) Bahrain.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 04, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
But I'm tryin to look at things a lil differently here, n i dnt see why it's such a big deal for every country to have some association with educational institutions........It'd really benefit communities big time!
Look at it this way, the Roman Catholic Church has schools in Dubai n Abu-Dhabi(not sure bout other emirates), it's not essentially the business of the church to provide education, but they do a darn good job of it ( in the UAE)! Like wise countries maintain trade centers and other platforms for trade, in many countries, which falls under the oversight of the embassy!
Y is it so far fetched to entertain the idea of embassies mainatining some kind of academic affiliatios, strictly for primary and secondry schools!

The Roman Catholic Church charges school fees - anywhere in the world. The church doesn't give anything away for free.

Emiratis are the only people who are entitled to a free education. All expats have to pay for it.

There are US universities with affiliations here and they charge as well. Do you think they are going to bring the same educational standards and professors here and give it away? The only educational institutions that would be able to work under an embassy would be government owned. Privately owned educational institutes are not going to empower embassies with a say as to how the institute has to be run.

The Catholic School in Dubai probably has the best rates, however it is real difficult to enter.

St. Mary's costs more than most Indian and many GCSE/IGCSE schools. I did my A-levels there.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 04, 2009
gtmash wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

St. Mary's costs more than most Indian and many GCSE/IGCSE schools. I did my A-levels there.

How is St mary's? Is it good? I kno it go a good rating and all........
I remember gng there once, n wow dat place was loaded with babes! 8)
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 04, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:FYI: There are American universities in the UAE that are accedited. These credits are transferrable to the US and the certification is from accredited and recognized universities. There is an American university in RAK that is closing down and the students are given the choice of continuing their education back in the States or in (I believe) Bahrain.

The American schools that operate here are IB World schools...n as such their credits are always transferrable to any IB world school!
Pretty cool stuff!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat