Sharjah Police Revive 8-yr-old Decency Law

Topic locked
Sharjah police revive 8-yr-old decency law Jul 22, 2009
http://archive.gulfnews.com/nation/Poli ... 33560.html

Thirteen-year-old Mohammad was with a group of friends in Al Qasba area when he was reportedly approached by a police officer and taken to the police headquarters. His silver necklace had to go.

Another resident, Jeril Jaison Varghese, says he was in front of the Multiplex in Mega Mall to watch a movie when a CID officer asked him for his identification. "I was taken to the Sharjah Police office inside the mall by a security guy from the mall. My silver bracelet was confiscated by the CID," he said.
When Varghese asked why his bracelet was being taken away, he says, police said men are not allowed to wear bracelets or any fashion accessories in Sharjah malls even if it is silver and not gold.

A senior CID official told Gulf News that police are implementing an eight-year-old decency law.

"Men are not allowed to wear such accessories. Everybody is aware of that," he said. "We are informing people through the media and people should be aware of that," he said.

Islam forbids men from wearing gold and silk.

Be informed people and don't get yourself in a fix!

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
Hey Rob guess ur predictions may be right after all. Remember we discussed the possible fallout of the economic crisis?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
I can understand why there is such a law. What I dont understand, and I am sure no one will answer me those is,

1) Why the items, which may have value, are being confiscated. Those items can be sold later on......?

2) Why 13 year olds are being taken to police stations instead of the item being stopped then and there

3) Islam forbids men from wearing gold, so why silver items are being targetted?

given the higher crime rate in Sharjah (when compared to Dubai), shouldnt more attention be given to those criminals than, gasp, extremely dengeous 13 year olds wearing silver bracelets ?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:I can understand why there is such a law. What I dont understand, and I am sure no one will answer me those is,

1) Why the items, which may have value, are being confiscated. Those items can be sold later on......?

2) Why 13 year olds are being taken to police stations instead of the item being stopped then and there

3) Islam forbids men from wearing gold, so why silver items are being targetted?

given the higher crime rate in Sharjah (when compared to Dubai), shouldnt more attention be given to those criminals than, gasp, extremely dengeous 13 year olds wearing silver bracelets ?

My thoughts exactly...

I also found it strange that they are confiscating silver items since there is no ruling against it and the Prophet (peace be upon him) has been said to have worn a silver ring. As long as jewelry is concerned, like you said in your third point - only gold is forbidden...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
bushra21 wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:I can understand why there is such a law. What I dont understand, and I am sure no one will answer me those is,

My thoughts exactly...

I also found it strange that they are confiscating silver items since there is no ruling against it and the Prophet (peace be upon him) has been said to have worn a silver ring. As long as jewelry is concerned, like you said in your third point - only gold is forbidden...

Ring is alright. Not a necklace or bracelet.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
How come?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
DP -.-
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
This doesn't affect me one bit as I don't use any jewelery. What I'm curious about is can this be extended to tattoos tomorrow? Lets say I got a tattoo on my forearm...can I get in trouble for that?

Or what if I'm swimming an I've got a tattoo on my back or arms or legs, would that be constituted indecent?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
bushra21 wrote:How come?
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
Edited
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:

:D

When's your birthday? I'm treating you with a necklace and a tour in Sharjah :D
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:

SO they will go after women in trousers next ?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:

( لعن الله المتشبهن من النساء بالرجال والمتشبهات من الرجال بالنساء )

Allah has cursed men who imitate women and women who imitate men

Silly me :oops:

BlackburnRovers wrote:

Hopefully :roll:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:

HA, Save it for your imaginary girlfriend, who'll beg you to quit smoking and make you a better man or whatever :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote: :D

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 22, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote: :D

As long as he's holding/wearing the necklace, I'm fine! :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
bushra21 wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:

Allah has cursed men who imitate women and women who imitate men

Silly me :oops:

BlackburnRovers wrote:

Hopefully :roll:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 22, 2009
Hey Sage why did you edit the Arabic posts? I know it's an English forum and all, but that's just an odd post?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Hey Sage why did you edit the Arabic posts? I know it's an English forum and all, but that's just an odd post?

I have no idea what it says and as this is an English language forum it was deleted.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 22, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:Hey Sage why did you edit the Arabic posts? I know it's an English forum and all, but that's just an odd post?

I have no idea what it says and as this is an English language forum it was deleted.

Captain, put the phrase in Google translator!
It was nothing really. Or else Bushra would have been up in arms. I think a little leeway should be granted.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

It was nothing really. Or else Bushra would have been up in arms. I think a little leeway should be granted.

If you think I have the time or inclination to do that you are sadly mistaken.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 22, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

^^^Hilarious!
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

I translated it into english sage :?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 22, 2009
bushra21 wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

I'd cut sage some slack guys and girls. He has to moderate and if he can't read it he can't vouch for it. If we paid for membership to these forums and he was paid for his work maybe we deserve to tell him how to do his 'job' :D

Honestly not saying that your translation would be incorrect bushra, I'm just talking in general...! ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
Is this law still being enforced? I don't think so. I flew out of Dubai and my gold neckchain was detected but not impounded at the airport. Or is it OK for those who are flying out of the ambit of Dubai?
vistasad
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009
vistasad wrote:Is this law still being enforced? I don't think so. I flew out of Dubai and my gold neckchain was detected but not impounded at the airport. Or is it OK for those who are flying out of the ambit of Dubai?

lol i really cant be bothered to answer this person. OBVIOUSLY this guy doesnt understand the difference between dubai and SHARJAH.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
i like this law and especially sharjahs effort to get rid of the "bling, bling" from its streets.

i have nothing against rapsters or rnb singers. But are they really good ROLE models? everyone knows that young kids now days are influenced by what p-diddy wears or how r kelly wears his cap. rap stars are not really good role models. sorry but I dont want my kids growing up and imitating r.kelly and thinking they are some gangster of al khan or qasba canal and think they can get jiggy with it with any girl they see walking down the road.

bloody wannabees. seriously sick of them. has anyone been to qasba canal? all u see is ung kids smoking, chatting up girls and bloody break dancing and BLOODY swearing. its like your in a bloody HOOD or something. and all u see is p.diddys, rkellys, 2pac walking around.

I am yet to spot micheal jackson :D

and does anyone know if this law applies to a silver tooth :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
rudeboy wrote:i like this law and especially sharjahs effort to get rid of the "bling, bling" from its streets.

i have nothing against rapsters or rnb singers. But are they really good ROLE models? everyone knows that young kids now days are influenced by what p-diddy wears or how r kelly wears his cap. rap stars are not really good role models. sorry but I dont want my kids growing up and imitating r.kelly and thinking they are some gangster of al khan or qasba canal and think they can get jiggy with it with any girl they see walking down the road.

bloody wannabees. seriously sick of them. has anyone been to qasba canal? all u see is ung kids smoking, chatting up girls and bloody break dancing and BLOODY swearing. its like your in a bloody HOOD or something. and all u see is p.diddys, rkellys, 2pac walking around.

I am yet to spot micheal jackson :D

and does anyone know if this law applies to a silver tooth :D

That's a very valid point. I agree with you.

It's a whole generation gone to waste.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 24, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Hey Rob guess ur predictions may be right after all. Remember we discussed the possible fallout of the economic crisis?

Sorry MCL, wasn't able to reply due to login problems....again.

But yeah, the conservatives are gaining ground again. ;)
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 24, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
bushra21 wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

I'd cut sage some slack guys and girls. He has to moderate and if he can't read it he can't vouch for it. If we paid for membership to these forums and he was paid for his work maybe we deserve to tell him how to do his 'job' :D

Thank you SH for seeing it exactly as it is.

Honestly not saying that your translation would be incorrect bushra, I'm just talking in general...! ;)
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat