Sharjah Police Conduct Door To Door Hunt For Unwed Couples

Topic locked
Re: Sharjah police conduct door to door hunt for unwed coupl Apr 24, 2010
Bora Bora wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Ahhhh hide the kitty, DD will probably keep it has a pet and pull all it's teeth and claws out.

I would rather leave them in your back.

Boring...

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Sharjah police conduct door to door hunt for unwed coupl Apr 24, 2010
Another thought. What's the point of prosecuting a couple like this when it's been such a long time? What a waste of energy and resources.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Sharjah Police Conduct Door To Door Hunt For Unwed Coupl Apr 24, 2010
I would rather use the energy and resources to build a proper rain disposal canal instead of hunting down couples who just love a proper itch every once in a while.

Too bad they don't have real individual property rights and civil liberties in autocratic nations. Your freedom is always subject to the state and so society suffers per decree.

Don't you just love the dark ages?
RobbyG

Re: Sharjah Police Conduct Door To Door Hunt For Unwed Coupl Apr 25, 2010
HEY ! WTF ! the fug did I get dragged into this mess for ! Rob stop using me as a crutch in your spates with the Dairy Queen :D
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:HEY ! WTF ! the fug did I get dragged into this mess for ! Rob stop using me as a crutch in your spates with the Dairy Queen :D

Snarl snarl.... :twisted:
RobbyG

Re: Sharjah police conduct door to door hunt for unwed coupl Apr 25, 2010
Dubai Knight wrote:64% of the population of Dubai is Hindi. Technically that makes the predominant religion in the country Hindu, however the mosques outnumber the temples 100 - 1.

Wrong, wrong, wrong !

64% of Dubai may be Indians, half of whom are Muslim Indians and not Hindus.

The proportion of Indians in AUH is also lesser, and 3-4ths of Indians there are Muslims.

So while Indians may constitute up to 40% of the UAE's population, no more than 20% will be Hindu.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:64% of the population of Dubai is Hindi. Technically that makes the predominant religion in the country Hindu, however the mosques outnumber the temples 100 - 1.

Wrong, wrong, wrong !

64% of Dubai may be Indians, half of whom are Muslim Indians and not Hindus.

The proportion of Indians in AUH is also lesser, and 3-4ths of Indians there are Muslims.

So while Indians may constitute up to 40% of the UAE's population, no more than 20% will be Hindu.

There are no official figures to back that up. What about the Mahratti's, and the Christian Keralites? 80% of the Indian workers here are NOT Musilm. The figure is probably nearer 20%. What about the Philippino work force? However you look at it, Islam is actually one of the minority religions in the UAE. The situation in the rest of the GCC is different as in Saudi the majority of labour is Yemeni or Egyptian. The Indians and Bangladeshi's are considered and treated like animals by the Saudi nationals. Technical work is undertaken by Philippino workers.

As the UAE does not offer these people citizenship, in fact the government actively ensures and advocates that it is impossible by making visas very hard or expensive to obtain, allowing locals to 'own' these workers, abuse their human rights, hold their passports illegally and house them in labour(concentration) camps, then they are effectively slaves and not therefore considered as part of the 'population'.

Just walk outside in Dubai and evaluate the first 20 people that you see in the street and do your own straw poll.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:
There are no official figures to back that up. What about the Mahratti's, and the Christian Keralites? 80% of the Indian workers here are NOT Musilm. The figure is probably nearer 20%. What about the Philippino work force? However you look at it, Islam is actually one of the minority religions in the UAE. The situation in the rest of the GCC is different as in Saudi the majority of labour is Yemeni or Egyptian. The Indians and Bangladeshi's are considered and treated like animals by the Saudi nationals. Technical work is undertaken by Philippino workers.

As the UAE does not offer these people citizenship, in fact the government actively ensures and

80% non-Muslims? Maybe true in parts of DUbai, but not in the UAE.

Go to Abu Dhabi, you will be hard pressed to find that many Hindus shops, because most Indians here are Malayali Muslims.

I understands that when you are in Karama or parts of Deira, it feels like ther majority are Indian non-Muslims.

But the UAE is much more than Deira, go to Fujairah, or Al Ain, or Ruwais or Abu Dhabi.......

Until official figures back me up, I am sure that no more than half of all Indians in the UAE are Hindus
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Hmm...although official figure arn't available I still doubt that Hinduism is the majority religon or that Islam is the minority in the UAE. The highest expats are indians and a sizeable amout are muslims specially from the south. The the 2nd largest expat community the Pakistanis, 99% muslim, same with the bangladeshis not to mention the arab and african expats ( Sudanese, Egyptian, morrocon etc etc ).

Contarary to popular belief the indian labourers arn't the majority slice of the population or even the Indian community for that matter and yes most of them are Hindus.
desertdudeshj

the city has its obigation toward its ppl, culture ,religious. Or doesnt this matter when it comes to your comfort or your own believes ? Whats backward about the city maintaining its image as an islamic state ? Your proposals are for the city to smash what it stands for against the wall ! How do u expect them to honor ur opinion when u dont do the same and respect it ? robbyg, i think whats backward is ur country allowing sex in public gardens. Just like dogs. Now thats a dark age barbarian living
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Kid, what's quite amusing when you consider 'it's people' are well in the minority. However, what's the point in punishing people who've lived like that for years on end? Why do couples need a poxy piece of paper to prove their committment to one another?

I can tell you that I know of one Emirati who has been living with his girlfriend for 15 years! They have no intention of getting married, but live the life of a loving, caring couple who only have eyes for each other. In other countries this is known as a 'common law marriage' and they have the same rights as couples who have a 'poxy piece of paper'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Although I somewhat agree with you Kid but there is always a better solution and even Islam teaches you this. In this case the cops could have given them the option to get legally married and if they refused then take action ? And also as bora pointed out what happened to those values in the case of the affore mentioned Emarati woman ? also I know many emarati couples caught doin' the do and nothing really ever hapens other than a telling off.

Its hard and sad to beileve that so many lives were destroyed including children just for the lack of one peice of paper ?

Islam is all about intention, maybe they couldn't get legally married due to some kind of bureaucratic redtape here. As everyone knows getting legally married here is also quite a chore. Embassies, consulates, courts, attestations, hospitals etc etc are all are required and a superior PITA and just for a simple act of getting married ?

Serious shades of the Saudi Muttawa here
desertdudeshj

DD, I agree that there should be some flexibility. As I recall the reason they were soft with the Emirati woman is that it was over 10 years ago, so no point in pursuing prosecution.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

BlackburnRovers wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

As the UAE does not offer these people citizenship, in fact the government actively ensures and

80% non-Muslims? Maybe true in parts of DUbai, but not in the UAE.

Go to Abu Dhabi, you will be hard pressed to find that many Hindus shops, because most Indians here are Malayali Muslims.

I understands that when you are in Karama or parts of Deira, it feels like ther majority are Indian non-Muslims.

But the UAE is much more than Deira, go to Fujairah, or Al Ain, or Ruwais or Abu Dhabi.......

Until official figures back me up, I am sure that no more than half of all Indians in the UAE are Hindus

Well my observation on this issue is simple. It's proven that 80% UAE's populace are expats....Now lets move to Ramadan. At Iftar timings the roads are dead empty, during Ramadan fasting hours the beaches are empty, that's a clear indication that majority of the populace here are Muslims. If and when a day comes when it's the opposite, then I guess the stats will have changed.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

MCL, that doesn't prove anything, when EVERY company has to give their workers ramadan working hours regardless of their religion. Eish don't you know that?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Sharjah police conduct door to door hunt for unwed coupl Apr 26, 2010
Misery Called Life wrote:
Well my observation on this issue is simple. It's proven that 80% UAE's populace are expats....Now lets move to Ramadan. At Iftar timings the roads are dead empty, during Ramadan fasting hours the beaches are empty, that's a clear indication that majority of the populace here are Muslims. If and when a day comes when it's the opposite, then I guess the stats will have changed.

Being non Muslim and getting locked in the slammer for 30 days for being caught chewing gum in daylight hours is a pretty strong deterrent to following the rules. So you don't eat or drink and then yes, you race home and drive like an idiot because you are starving and de-hydrated purely because one muslim in your office insists that you don't eat or drink in his presence.
Not being allowed on the beaches in daylight hours in a swimming costume because they are patrolled by the police who kick the people off is also another explanation for the empty plage.
Look around at the number of food and drink outlets that are operating behind curtains during Ramadan, particularly in the hotels, or the number of food delivery boys on the road...

Its Sham-adan!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Ramadan here is really not a problem, anyone who has lived and worked in Saudi will tell you that.
Also refraining from eating drinking and smoking in public is merely a matter of respect, unfortunateley their are those that on one side refuse to show respect and on the other side refuse show any leniency or understanding.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Ramdan is really not an issue. So many work places block off a room for non-muslim staff to eat and drink and most muslims I work with actively encourage people to carry on as normal as it strengthens their resolve, it's the weak ones who get their knickers in a twist about it all.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

sage & onion wrote:Also refraining from eating drinking and smoking in public is merely a matter of respect,.

As a Muslim, I want non-Muslims to respect Ramadan, but I dont think any respect is gained by forcing them to not eat? Are we Muslims kids who will be tenmpted by food?

In a public bus last Ramadan, a parent feeding water to his 3 or 4 year child was scolded by someone whose "respect" was offended in Ramadan, yelling that food/water "will make him break his fast" and that he will report them to police.

Sorry , but that sort of "extortion of respect" in Ramadan offends me more than any non-Muslim eating outside
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Also refraining from eating drinking and smoking in public is merely a matter of respect,.

As a Muslim, I want non-Muslims to respect Ramadan, but I dont think any respect is gained by forcing them to not eat? Are we Muslims kids who will be tenmpted by food?

In a public bus last Ramadan, a parent feeding water to his 3 or 4 year child was scolded by someone whose "respect" was offended in Ramadan, yelling that food/water "will make him break his fast" and that he will report them to police.

Sorry , but that sort of "extortion of respect" in Ramadan offends me more than any non-Muslim eating outside

I thought kids, pregnant women and anyone travelling were exempt from fasting?

:? :? :?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

Of course they are exempt, but some Muslims think even kids shouldnt eat in view of other fasting people.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Of course they are exempt. And people like that really anno me as they miss the true meaning of Ramadan. If you don't have temptation and test yourself, then where is the challenge to the strength of your character. If everyone else is banned from eating, drinking, smoking etc in front of you, then it's too easy isn't it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:MCL, that doesn't prove anything, when EVERY company has to give their workers ramadan working hours regardless of their religion. Eish don't you know that?

Dubai Knight wrote:Being non Muslim and getting locked in the slammer for 30 days for being caught chewing gum in daylight hours is a pretty strong deterrent to following the rules. So you don't eat or drink and then yes, you race home and drive like an idiot because you are starving and de-hydrated purely because one muslim in your office insists that you don't eat or drink in his presence.
Not being allowed on the beaches in daylight hours in a swimming costume because they are patrolled by the police who kick the people off is also another explanation for the empty plage.
Look around at the number of food and drink outlets that are operating behind curtains during Ramadan, particularly in the hotels, or the number of food delivery boys on the road...

Its Sham-adan!

Knight

Yaa you guy's right. I did'nt factor all that in my analysis.

Say DK, do you speak as sharp as you write? :lol: Ur posts are simply quite awesome...

That said, I see no plausible explanation suggesting Muslims here are a minority. Maybe in the past a lot of the white collared workers coming in from India and other countries were non Muslim, but I reckon this is as far as it will go. There are numerous educational institutes springing up all over the ME churning out hundreds of graduates, many of whom are Muslim.
Say this raises another valid question. It's an accepted notion that ur passport can indeed dictate one's quality of life here so do you reckon that maybe one's religion as well can open or shut doors?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dubai Knight wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:

Knight

Also anyone on medication, the issue of a young child being given a drink of water should never attract any sort of comment, however their are some that just want to cause trouble.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Misery Called Life wrote:
Say DK, do you speak as sharp as you write? :lol: Ur posts are simply quite awesome...

...He's quite the character indeed. Lets hope he doesn't drewl when he talks sharply...that would be irrevocably blunt :D
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat