Salary Of 14 000

Topic locked
Jun 09, 2009
Mmmmmmmm

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 09, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Again I totally disagree with this. I could earn alot more in the UK. However my quality of life would be lower, so I'll take the trade off thanks.

This is the first time I heard that living in Dubai has higher quality of life than in home country. As for most people living here is a pain, had to "downgrade" quality of life, sharing rooms/apartments with others, etc. I guess your company is generous enough for the benefits (esp housing & car)?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 09, 2009
Not a pain for me
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 09, 2009
xty wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Again I totally disagree with this. I could earn alot more in the UK. However my quality of life would be lower, so I'll take the trade off thanks.

This is the first time I heard that living in Dubai has higher quality of life than in home country. As for most people living here is a pain, had to "downgrade" quality of life, sharing rooms/apartments with others, etc. I guess your company is generous enough for the benefits (esp housing & car)?

I would disagree with you XTY. Dubai is an interesting experience, and if one is lucky( friends, job etc) than the quality of life is really excellent.
I guess at the end of the day is really boils down to what one is looking for.
The difference is lots of westerners come here for the experience. A lot of Asians are dragged here out of compulsion. Probably lack of opportunities for them back home.
So it's really an individual perspective. And as I stated earlier if one is lucky than Dubai can be a fab experience.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 09, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
xty wrote:

I would disagree with you XTY. Dubai is an interesting experience, and if one is lucky( friends, job etc) than the quality of life is really excellent.
The difference is lots of westerners come here for the experience. A lot of Asians are dragged here out of compulsion. Probably lack of opportunities for them back home.
So it's really an individual perspective. And as I stated earlier if one is lucky than Dubai can be a fab experience.

Come on, nobody is dragged here.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 09, 2009
sage & onion wrote:Come on, nobody is dragged here.

Off course no one is physically dragged here. I'm talking bout circumstances. For instance take Pakistanis. The situation for them back home is abysmal. They would rather settle for a low paying job, sharing accommodation etc. simply because the situation back home is not so favorable. Like wise with Filipinos, Indians, East Europeans etc.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 09, 2009

Off course no one is physically dragged here. I'm talking bout circumstances. For instance take Pakistanis. The situation for them back home is abysmal. They would rather settle for a low paying job, sharing accommodation etc. simply because circumstances back home are not so favorable. Like wise with Filipinos, Indians, East Europeans etc.

Which standard are you comparing to?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 09, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:I would disagree with you XTY. Dubai is an interesting experience, and if one is lucky( friends, job etc) than the quality of life is really excellent.

I'm not talking about the money earned, off course in Dubai we earn more than in home country, that's one of the main reason we come here, right? But earning more money doesn't always mean better quality of life.

For example, in home country I earned around 20-25% of salary than in Dubai but could afford to rent and live in 3BR house in the city, while I can afford only to stay in 1BR apartment here in the city (that's a downgrade!), even the salary is 4-5 times.

So for me, accommodation is one of many indicators of quality of life. I know there are many others.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 09, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

Off course no one is physically dragged here. I'm talking bout circumstances. For instance take Pakistanis. The situation for them back home is abysmal. They would rather settle for a low paying job, sharing accommodation etc. simply because circumstances back home are not so favorable. Like wise with Filipinos, Indians, East Europeans etc.

Which standard are you comparing to?

It's my own generalized view. What do ya mean my standard?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 09, 2009
Standard is the comparison to ones own circumstances.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 09, 2009
sage & onion wrote:Standard is the comparison to ones own circumstances.

Oh! Well personally Dubai is fab. If I get tired then there's Portugal, Canada and India I could go to. It all boils down to which Universities accept my Masters application. I could be outta here by Oct.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: salary of 14 000 Jun 10, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:
quatroporte wrote:
14K is a good salary for any mid-career single guy in Dubai

Really? God damn, some of these expats are getting paid way too much then. I was on one of the lowest salaries at my (ex) company and I was earning almost three times that.

Seriously? That comes up to over 130k USD per year. I think the only mid-level careers with that kind of income are the ones responsible for the state of the economy and doctors. I would think that even senior engineers would consider themselves to be at or near the top of their game to be earning that much.

don't quiet agree with it... there are some jobs which pay more than this for ppl who are in there early thirties...of course bit specialized skill though... it all depends on the skill sets which you have... general skills will pay you less where as specialized one's will pay you more..
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 10, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
Red Chief wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:I agree with you here, but only if you are talking about back home. I left a perfectly good job and packed up my life to come here. That is where the expectations of higher salaries come from. If you're earning the same money as back home then there would be no incentive to move to Dubai.

Plus you have to factor in the horrendously high rent here. I'm paying about $900 Aussie a week rent. In Australia I would be paying $300 absolute maximum.

I agree. Nobody from the West will go here for a salary lower than twice against home one.

Again I totally disagree with this. I could earn alot more in the UK. However my quality of life would be lower, so I'll take the trade off thanks.

I don't believe you for a second. Your telling me that a DJ or a media person earns "a lot more" in the UK? I don't know about Britain but in the US DJs on average make around $30,000 a year. The fact is that you are accustomed to this life style being born and raised here. Nothing wrong that. However a strange phenomenon that I observed only with the Brits in Dubai that they don't like their own country. I didn't see that coming from other nationalities like Aussies, Europeans or N. Americans in Dubai
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 10, 2009
Brits like to complain, we do. Aussies call us whining poms. BUT, the UK has gone downhill with do-gooders crushing police powers to tackle teenage thugs and gangs, also giving more power to students at school than teachers, massive immigration (cities literally taken over by immigrants), massive government spending on jobless/homeless (mostly immigrants), massive black on black violent crime making no-go areas in places (which the white kids are now learning from also). Take it from me, you don't want to live in a big city in the UK any more.

I guess we had the best country in the world and f*cked it up. Or we let out politicans do it for us nicely. Too tolerant.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat