Residency Visas Mooted For Abu Dhabi Property Owners

Topic locked
Residency visas mooted for Abu Dhabi property owners Feb 24, 2009
good news, the government is reconsidering bringing back the residency visa for freehold property owners.

The UAE Ministry of the Interior has announced that the federal government will be looking to roll out uniform residency visas for property owners across the country, even as the property markets continue to suffer from the economic downturn.

Brigadier Nasser Al Menhali, the acting Director-General of the federal Naturalisation and Residency Department announced this week that the Ministry of the Interior was looking at finalising the new visa laws within the next month, with the roll out expected this year.

The scheme will grant residency to owners of freehold properties, regardless of the size or value of the property.

The government is also looking at proposals to extend the visa scheme to include the families of property owners, although this is in the very early stages.

'We are looking to unify the procedure for the issuance of residency visas for expatriates who purchase properties,' said Al Menhali.

The visas will be issued on a renewable six month basis.

Analysts and industry insiders have welcomed the proposal as an incentive to increase interest in the property market, although the short-term nature of the visas is still viewed as a downside.

The announcement addresses a core issue behind investor confidence. Although not as widespread a practice as in the Dubai property sector, some developers in Abu Dhabi had attracted prospective buyers by claiming that the units were accompanied by residency status for the investor.

Now, with the market in a downturn, initiatives such as this are seen as a welcome indication of government support for the sector.

Developer incentives
Developers in the UAE capital are also beginning to offer their own incentives to attract investor interest.

Arady, a property market-focused private equity and investment firm, announced that it would pass on the benefit of the fall in construction costs to buyers of its Reem Island project. The group said that it would lower prices on units at the, as yet untendered, Helix Towers project by 20%.

Bloom properties, the company behind the Bloom Gardens development, a community project in the centre of Abu Dhabi targeting Emirati investors, also announced that it would be lowering its prices - an offer which also covers retroactive purchases.

Average prices in Abu Dhabi have fallen approximately 18% since October as the emirate feels the effects of the global slowdown. Despite this analysts remain cautiously optimistic about the property market's future, citing the continuing supply/demand imbalance and pointing to the fact that rental prices continue to hold steady, despite previous warnings that a fall in leasing prices would be seen by then end of Q1 2009.

http://www.ameinfo.com/185474.html

quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Feb 24, 2009
6 months renewable, kinda insulting. Don't you think?
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 24, 2009
K-Dog wrote:6 months renewable, kinda insulting. Don't you think?

It will be ok if it is possible to do all the renewal on-line, but if you have to go through all the normal hassle then it will be a real pain.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 24, 2009
the real qustion is are they going to stick to this decision or AS USUAL after a year or two they will change their mind!!!!!

like how they did last time????
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Feb 24, 2009
quatroporte wrote:the real qustion is are they going to stick to this decision or AS USUAL after a year or two they will change their mind!!!!!

As far as I am aware, if your property has been purchased from one of the Govt. Developers like Emaar, the 3 year deal is still in place. As long as it is paid for and registered in your name with lands dept.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 24, 2009
Sage is correct
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 25, 2009
another question is how much are they gonna charge everytime for the renewal?

Its not easy getting lost trust back, specially in current market conditions. Imo they should have never stopped the visas.

I have properties in the UK as well. Even if i didnt they still give upto 10yr multiple visa and for sure they dont change their polices the moment they feel like it.
kashif
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009
quatroporte wrote:the real qustion is are they going to stick to this decision or AS USUAL after a year or two they will change their mind!!!!!

i sure wouldnt trust them. not until i saw a 5yr - 10yrs record atleast.
kashif
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009
I don't understand this kind of policies. Like Kashif said, why not give a visa for freehold property owners/investors for 10 years renewable.

What is the reason behind the short term renewal? Do they want to create a new neighbourhood named: Dubai Ghosttownhouses...?

I don't get this kind of policy. Anyone?
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat