Reasonable Monthly Expenses For Individual And Family

Topic locked
Reasonable monthly expenses for individual and family Jan 08, 2012
Just comparing reasonable monthly expenses for individual and family living in Dubai. I did my yearly expense calculations and it is way over budget. I can't give my total monthly expenses but they are above 15,000 and below 30,000 dhs. Not sure that is normal.

Bills and utilities about 4,000 per month on average.
Dining out, groceries, clothing, and lundary, I don't have seperate figure for them. But it is high :shock:

Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Reasonable Monthly Expenses For Individual And Family Jan 08, 2012
It's about average, no? Some months I keep track exactly of where my money is going (apart from the fixed monthly expenses). Most of it goes to go going out and daily random expenses (coffee, sandwiches etc.). There is a lot to gain there. Taking the cc from the wife would also help, but that wouldn't be fair, she always needs shoes somehow. Winter shoes, summer shoes. Black summer shoes with the dress she just bought, autumn shoes to match the new shawl...but I am wondering off, sorry. When she is coming home from shoping she tells me she saved money, so I wanna see the money. She says no, it was a great sale, so we saved money. I say, no you spend money, so you didn't save money. She: here is your beer. Me: quite.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

It's difficult to compare living expenses between families. How many people are there in a family? It could be two adults and two small children or two adults and two sons who will eat you out of house and home.

Having a place in Dubai and in England, I certainly don't think it's more expensive than England, in fact I think some things are much cheaper. I think your bills and utilities seem quite high.

I have Sky TV in England and a TV package in Dubai. It's the same price. DEWA is cheaper than United Utilities in the UK.

I would look at what you spend on food in supermarkets. I have a friend at work who regularly spends £150.00 on Friday on food shopping. Yesterday, I spent £75.00. She goes to a pricey place and I go to Aldi. Don't be fooled by always buying well known brands and don't shop when you are hungry. it's a fact that you buy more when you are hungry.

Don't go out for so many meals, that's an easy one. Do your own laundry, why pay someone to do what you can do for yourself?

And most importantly, get your wife a full time job. That way she won't have time or will be too knackered to go shopping.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

I'm single. I don't have a wife. Looking at my expenses I probably won't get married. But I've have charity in there too.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Well then, your monthly expenses do seem high for a single man, and you don't have anyone else to blame them on!

Why are your utilitity bills so high? Switch things off if you don't need them.

My mother used to say 'charity begins at home'. I used to give to charity and my chosen one was Cancer Research. They spent most of my money employing people to phone people like me to ask them to increase their donation. I stopped my monthly donation.

When I was married to my now ex husband, he was a serving soldier, serving in Northern Ireland. He earned the equivelant of aed 700 per month after rent and tax. I always wondered if we could ever afford to have a child. I got a job and we managed.

There is always someone worse off than you.
Bethsmum

ermmm, about getting married part I was just kidding. I've expenses of my own, I don't think I can afford the expenses of wifey lol.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nucleus , Your wife shouldn't be an expense. She should contribute towards the household expenses. The children are an expense, so think twice before churning them out.

Good luck.
Bethsmum

I didn't say wife would be an expense, I said won't be able to afford the expenses without cutting my own expenses. I'm just kidding, but there is some truth in there.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

You're single and your expenses are more than 15,000 Dhs a month? That's nuts! When you put it in the context of that's more than I earn in a month - that's nuts!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nucleus wrote:I didn't say wife would be an expense, I said won't be able to afford the expenses without cutting my own expenses. I'm just kidding, but there is some truth in there.

Eh? :drunken:

Stop living the high life Nucleus and settle down to a life of purgatory!

--- Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:25 pm ---

Chocoholic wrote:You're single and your expenses are more than 15,000 Dhs a month? That's nuts! When you put it in the context of that's more than I earn in a month - that's nuts

You either need to get a new job or get chicked up with Nucleus, Chocs! he's obviously minted :alien:
Bethsmum

Re: Reasonable Monthly Expenses For Individual And Family Jan 09, 2012
Bethsmum , LOL why do you think I'm going back to school!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat