Question

Topic locked
question Jun 16, 2011
what do you thing are the most things that new expats needs do know ones they land in ?

what are the country obligations in "term of awareness" toward expats ?

uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Question Jun 16, 2011
There is a wealth of information on the internet about the dos and don'ts of Dubai. So, before they even get here, they should do their homework/research. I know at the Jumeriah mosque there is a group meeting for expats that gives an overview of what expats should know.

As to country obligations: fair justice. Personally, I don't care how the government hands out justice to locals, but the justice applied to expats is extremely flawed.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: question Jun 16, 2011
uaekid wrote:what are the country obligations in "term of awareness" toward expats ?

That Dubai is NOT a Westernized liberal emirate. I can't for sure say where this image comes from, but I am under impression that Dubai rulers want to portray this image of Dubai.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: question Jun 16, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote:
uaekid wrote:what are the country obligations in "term of awareness" toward expats ?

That Dubai is NOT a Westernized liberal emirate. I can't for sure say where this image comes from, but I am under impression that Dubai rulers want to portray this image of Dubai.

The image is all around you FD. Scantily clad women on the beaches (and malls), free flowing alcohol in the bars, and hookers everywhere you look. One could easily be mistaken that the laws of Islam do not apply to Dubai. As we know, Sharia law does apply. However, rather than scaring people by telling them what is illegal in Dubai (which is pretty much everything the tourists come to do), a short cultural awareness film shown before the arrival of each flight would I think meet the obligations of the country’s leaders.
Speaking of films does anyone else think that a marketing company from the 80's was commissioned to make the film that is currently shown on emirates flights?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: question Jun 17, 2011
uaekid wrote:what do you thing are the most things that new expats needs do know ones they land in ?

I don't behave any differently in Dubai than I do in any other country I visit. If you are respectable then you shouldn't have a problem. I like a drink with the best of them but I'm not in the habit of rolling around drunk on the pavement or giving someone a bj on the beach. Personally I don't believe the random stories that 'my boyfriend had an upset stomach, Your Honour, and I was just rubbing it better' or 'I must have had a bad pint, Officer'. Behave yourself and there shouldn't be a problem.

If you are ignorant enough not to know that you are entering a Muslim country then you deserve all you get if you step out of line.

it's the same as smuggling drugs in/out of a country that has the death penalty for such offences. I can't believe people are dim enough not to know what they are doing.

As for Dubai's responsibilities? Why should you have to provide advice as to the do's and don'ts? It's traveller beware! But everyone should be treated the same. if you have a law, apply it fairly, no matter what race or religion is involved.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: question Jun 18, 2011
The points raised so far pretty much nail it. There needs to be better information for travellers, films on flights or information leaflets at the airport on arrival or on the flights, but good relevant info which doesn't scare the pants off a traveller, for example if you go to the British Embassy website and look at the information given on Dubai you actually sit and think, why on earth would anyone come here?!

As BM says, so long as people act 'normally' be respectful and don't make idiots out of themselves or do something stupid, then people really shouldn't have an issue.

It can be a bit of a Catch 22, as films and the press advertise Dubai and the UAE as something else entirely, basically the Las Vegas of the Middle East - so there can be this conflicting image.

It basically runs on a knife edge and where Dubai has opened its gates to tourism, it then has to expect some of the issues that go with that. With cheaper flights and packages, you're bound to get 'undesirables' or the bucket and spade brigade, who would be better suited to Spain or somewhere like that. I mean 7 or 8 years ago, you really didn't have the problems that you see reported virtually every week.

It can be hypocritical, take for example the zero tolerance to alcohol and yet people are actively encouraged to drink themselves into oblivion at brunches every week - why? Because much of these things have deals and subsidies from the booze companies - who owns them? So who is making money off it?

But in light of the above, the authorities have to understand that some people do get carried away and they do make mistakes, so they have to alter the 'Guilty until proven innocent' view.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

With cheaper flights and packages, you're bound to get 'undesirables' or the bucket and spade brigade, who would be better suited to Spain or somewhere like that. I mean 7 or 8 years ago, you really didn't have the problems that you see reported virtually every week.

The flights are shootimg up lately Chocs. I paid £595 at Easter, the most I've ever paid for a flight to Dubai. So hopefully the Stag and Hen weekenders will carry on going to Tenerife on White Knuckle Airways at £50.00 return plus £10.00 per case plus £5.00 to reserve your seat plus £5.00 for a sandwich and £1.00 for a wee.
I don't want to come across them on Jumeirah Beach in their Union Jack budgie smugglers.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bethsmum wrote:
With cheaper flights and packages, you're bound to get 'undesirables' or the bucket and spade brigade, who would be better suited to Spain or somewhere like that. I mean 7 or 8 years ago, you really didn't have the problems that you see reported virtually every week.

The flights are shootimg up lately Chocs. I paid £595 at Easter, the most I've ever paid for a flight to Dubai. So hopefully the Stag and Hen weekenders will carry on going to Tenerife on White Knuckle Airways at £50.00 return plus £10.00 per case plus £5.00 to reserve your seat plus £5.00 for a sandwich and £1.00 for a wee.
I don't want to come across them on Jumeirah Beach in their Union Jack budgie smugglers.

LOL well yes, but you know what I mean. Some years ago Dubai was 'exclusive' as the 18-30's and the like couldn't afford it and the place wasn't advertised as the playground it is now.

I mean weren't they using Myleene Klass as a spokesperson to advertise Dubai in one campaign? hmmmm so you use a pregnant single girl - righto - says it all really.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

uaekid wrote:what do you thing are the most things that new expats needs do know ones they land in ?

my advice to any expats anywhere, spend 2 to 3 weeks in the place that you are planning to live in for the next few years before packing all your stuff and go there.

the media shows you only what they want you to see, and what fit others might be too wide/tied for you, that applies to Dubai as well...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat