Qatar 2016 Olympics

Topic locked
Dec 15, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
liverpool4ever wrote:LOL! Call me whatever you want to call me mate =p
Good idea... Anyway, Dubai is not the type of Olympic city, at least not yet, no infrastructure (I can imagine a road with two-lanes similar to the ones in the Springs/Marina area) to lead to the stadium, having the olympic village where everyone will be staying on the other side of town and without any proper connections to the metro or the stadiums/venues, hardly any hostels and affordable accommodation for budget travellers...

Also, imagine if some mixed groups or unmarried couples ventured into Sharjah or Ajman trying to find accommodation, and thinking that those two cities are as liberal as Dubai, the courts will be filled for years with cases of public indecency and such! Heh, the whole concept just doesn't click in my head... I know I will probably be proven wrong at some point in this thread, but in reality? Never ;)

Some excellent points mate - though I expected nothing less!!
There are many laws/rules that would have to be adjusted, not just in Dubai, but in the UAE as a whole. For instance, it would be a requirement of the IOC that any member country and it's supporters be allowed free movement in and out of Dubai (within reason), so that of course means Israeli citizens.
Personally, 2016 would be too much for them - if they really want to bid, they should say now that they are going to seriously bid for 2020 and that they will put an infastructure in place, regardless of whether they win the bid or not.

2020 is more realistic. By that time, metro and other upcoming projects and infrastructures are already in place. Laws are done by men, it can be discussed to make historical event happen in UAE.

Though i feel awkward cos 2020 means i'm already in my 40's, well at least for my children. :D

asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2006
^^ The dubai metro should be fully-operational by 2012 or something and all its lanes should be working by 2015 max IMHO, the first phase is over and should be in operation in 2009. Agree on the second bit about the projects, most mega projects (Dubai Festival City, Waterfront, DubaiLand, Business Bay) should be completed entirely by 2015 - 2018...

Since you brought it up, jeez, I will be in my mid-30's then :shock:
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 15, 2006
I'll be 43!! Arrggghhhhh!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2006
the_zooter wrote:I'll be 43!! Arrggghhhhh!!

Let's stop discussing the olympics, everyone will get so depressed and stuff!!!
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 15, 2006
It is not depressing to discuss things like this. We become more optimistic and creative in some way. You'll never know in this discussion you discover that you can be a community masterplanner. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 15, 2006
asc_26 wrote:It is not depressing to discuss things like this. We become more optimistic and creative in some way. You'll never know in this discussion you discover that you can be a community masterplanner. :wink:

Hmm, doubt a hospitality management student like me can become a community masterplanner, should've been studying engineering or sometyhing instead to become one ;)

But anyway, it doesn't take a genious or a great engineer to figure out that a two lane interchange is NOT enough for three whole mega developments (Referring to Defence Round About, first interchange, developments are: Business Bay, Burj Dubai complex and the Dubai International Financial City)
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat