Poker

Topic locked
poker Jun 26, 2007
Anyone up for a friendly game of poker? I have poker chips, and before anyone mentions that gambling is illegal, we will be playing for erm...french fries.

onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: poker Jun 27, 2007
onetickin wrote:Anyone up for a friendly game of poker? I have poker chips, and before anyone mentions that gambling is illegal, we will be playing for erm...french fries.

You will still be arrested, deported, shot and then hung... not necessarily in that order.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

^ian^ wrote:
onetickin wrote:Anyone up for a friendly game of poker? I have poker chips, and before anyone mentions that gambling is illegal, we will be playing for erm...french fries.

You will still be arrested, deported, shot and then hung... not necessarily in that order.

did u get that from sage ian? :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jeevan wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Basically from now on, the minute someone mentions doing something illegal, even if they know it's illegal and don't care, I will still go out of my way to point out it is illegal and they will do jail time.

Annoying isn't it?
^ian^

^ian^ wrote:
Jeevan wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Basically from now on, the minute someone mentions doing something illegal, even if they know it's illegal and don't care, I will still go out of my way to point out it is illegal and they will do jail time.

Annoying isn't it?

Point noted and understood :lol: :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

^ian^ wrote:Basically from now on, the minute someone mentions doing something illegal, even if they know it's illegal and don't care, I will still go out of my way to point out it is illegal and they will do jail time.

You could be busy :). You ever in a room or car with someone of the opposite sex not related to you? Single and sharing a villa in Jumeirah or Umm Suqeim (family zones)? Wearing immodest clothing in Sharjah (decency laws)? Driving faster than 40 kph on suburban streets?

Will do jail time? May do jail time is more accurate.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

^ian^ wrote:
Jeevan wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Annoying isn't it?

But we have an obsolute moral obligation to tell everyone right from wrong even if they already know it. Some people don't konw that they know or don't know.

And we all know countless people rotting in prison and deported without even a chance to make a phone call and say goodbye.

Be forewarned.

Thanks for the public service Ian.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

bonk wrote:
^ian^ wrote:Basically from now on, the minute someone mentions doing something illegal, even if they know it's illegal and don't care, I will still go out of my way to point out it is illegal and they will do jail time.

You could be busy :). You ever in a room or car with someone of the opposite sex not related to you? Single and sharing a villa in Jumeirah or Umm Suqeim (family zones)? Wearing immodest clothing in Sharjah (decency laws)? Driving faster than 40 kph on suburban streets?

Will do jail time? May do jail time is more accurate.

I will limit my service to the forums.
^ian^

Concord wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
Jeevan wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Annoying isn't it?

But we have an obsolute moral obligation to tell everyone right from wrong even if they already know it. Some people don't konw that they know or don't know.

And we all know countless people rotting in prison and deported without even a chance to make a phone call and say goodbye.

Be forewarned.

Obsolute? Is this a mixture between Obsolete and Absolute? If so, it's the best manglish I've ever heard!

Anyway Concord, even if someone says 'I know this is illegal' they may not know it is illegal and we are duty, nay, honour bound by all that is good and holy to inform them.

As for the people in prison, if only someone had told them theft was a crime before they stole that TV... they could be a free person!
^ian^

^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
Jeevan wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Annoying isn't it?

Be forewarned.

Obsolute? Is this a mixture between Obsolete and Absolute? If so, it's the best manglish I've ever heard!

Anyway Concord, even if someone says 'I know this is illegal' they may not know it is illegal and we are duty, nay, honour bound by all that is good and holy to inform them.
As for the people in prison, if only someone had told them theft was a crime before they stole that TV... they could be a free person!

I'm starting to think it might be necessary to physically restrain some of these people or prevent them from buying holiday tickets (may be accompanied by non related female), driving cars (may go hole in the wall, etc.), from walking (might stumble into a bar and be inebriated on the sidewalk), etc. But then "physical restraint" is probably a crime, unless it is to impose one's "morals" upon them!

I'm sure some of the above is either illegal or immoral but the deportation police knows not where I live. I move daily just for that reason.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Concord wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
Jeevan wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Annoying isn't it?

Be forewarned.

I'm starting to think it might be necessary to physically restrain some of these people or prevent them from buying holiday tickets (may be accompanied by non related female), driving cars (may go hole in the wall, etc.), from walking (might stumble into a bar and be inebriated on the sidewalk), etc. But then "physical restraint" is probably a crime, unless it is to impose one's "morals" upon them!

Excellent comment, and good point!
^ian^

Jun 30, 2007
Whoever said we are playing for money? We'll do something like the Dubai World Cup....one of the most prestigious horse races in the calendar, but no gambling.
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 11, 2007
I arrived to Dubai recently. My poker chips were "confiscated" by the customs authorities amongst more than 150 boxes with my personal effects. I had them in a nice suit case and they were worth apprx 400 DHS. I will never see them again.

Shortly after that happened I saw a shop in Dubai Festival City (believe the shop was called Stokes) that is selling poker chips and drinking chess games and whatever you can imagine.

I am confused.
Henrik
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 11, 2007
Henrik wrote:...
I am confused.

Welcome to Dubai, I also saw Texas Hold 'em sets being sold inside Spinney's plaza in Umm Sequin, Dubai is interesting, things seem to get past the sensors. I’ve even seen places in Karama advertising Mah Jong sets.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 11, 2007
why would selling mah jong sets be illegal?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 15, 2007
ill play poker!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: poker Jul 16, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Annoying isn't it?

YES! YES! YES! VERY ANNOYING!

Why don't you just live alittle!

Sounds to me you are someone that needs to have some fun! :lol:
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 16, 2007
dave101 wrote:ill play poker!

Me too! Although not that fond of french fries..... prefer to play for cherries! My favourite! :D
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 16, 2007
bushra21 wrote:why would selling mah jong sets be illegal?

Mah jong is like poker. It’s a gambling game, mah jong solitare I’ve never seen anyone play with tiles just on a computer but I guess technically you could.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 16, 2007
i didnt know that and when i told my family they all said they knew....

we always played that game. :oops:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 16, 2007
bushra21 wrote:i didnt know that and when i told my family they all said they knew....

we always played that game. :oops:

Were you playing for money?, I'm shocked :shock: :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 16, 2007
no we never played for money...thats why i guess i never thought it was a gambling game...i always thought it was just strategy
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 17, 2007
i bet you played using cars, houses and boats instead of money

:wink: :P
arniegang

Jul 18, 2007
arniegang wrote:i bet you played using cars, houses and boats instead of money

Now, now arnie, you behave yourself, our Bushra is a quiet and innocent girl :)
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 18, 2007

im not quite sure on how to respond to that arnie...

and thank you sage, its about time someone recognized the truth :oops:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 18, 2007
bushra21 wrote:

Anytime :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 20, 2007
bushra21 wrote:

Just pulling yer leg Bushy.

On a serious note, i know for a fact that is what the more affulent Emirati's do at horse and camel racing.

:wink:
arniegang

Jul 20, 2007
yeah, property and yachts and cars....man i so would do it too *blush*
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 20, 2007
But.............

Do you have a Camel Bushy????

:wink:
arniegang